Best Jobs For Military Veterans
During July 2015, our nation had job listings for over 9,000,000 full-time jobs. Nearly 1,000,000 were labeled as Veteran Friendly. America offered an additional 3,000,000 job vacancies listed in mid-July 2015. We need to help connect our veterans with these jobs.
A List of 100 Companies Is Only a Beginning
In November 2011, the Whitehouse announced the opening of 100,000 jobs in the private sector to be dedicated to US Veterans and their families from late 2011 through 2014 and onward. This program is called Joining Forces and sounds good on the first blush. Michelle Obama and Jill Biden promised veterans and their families that a list of 100 major companies had joined with the Whitehouse to offer these jobs to returning veterans.
The companies are listed below; however, there are not 100 companies. Agreements with a total of 100 is to be secured by the end of 2013. A bulk of jobs may become available from 2014 -2016. Still, The First Lady announced that a program begun during Summer 2011, the Military Spouse Employment Partnership, does already involve 100 companies that are veteran friendly and military recruit family members as well. I have been unable to find them all at this time, so please feel free to list any you know about in the Comments section below (company names, but not links, please).
Companies on the list of 100 in Joining Forces:
- Accenture - Forecasts 250,000 more jobs for everyone worldwide by 2015. How many of these new jobs are earmarked for veterans is unclear.
- Code for America - An online military skills translator for the private sector. Note: After the Persian Gulf War, IT companies found that military IT experience had not kept pace with the private sector (at least in the Ohio workplace). How about now?
- Data Doctors
- Futures, Inc.
- Guidant Financial
- Hewlett Packard - donating money. No jobs promised yet.
- Home Depot
- JP Morgan/Chase
- Lockheed Martin - This is a good one, since aerospace manufacturing is increasing. Also Number Ten on GIJobs' Top 100 Military Friendly Employers in USA (see link below).
- SCORE - Service of the Small Business Association.
- Microsoft Inc. - No new jobs promised for vets. Offers 10,000 technology training and certification packages from 2012 - 2014.
- Mr. Rooter
- Siemens - Already hired 300 veterans and pledges to hire 150 more by December 31, 2011.
- The UPS Store
- TSS Photography
- US Chambers of Commerce
- ValPak - Produces coupons for goods and services.
- WalMart - Presumably offering funds for management training.
The Joining Forces job bank page (linked below) allows job candidates to search by Keyword (or job skill) and Metro Area, but does not permit one to see how many total jobs are listed on the site. For a Metro Area at this juncture, one must page through the results and count if one wants that total. Veterans may add the MOS/MOC job code or job title as well.
How many total jobs are available from the site? We do not know, although the Whitehouse states 550,000.
Good News is that a $9,600 tax credit is available to companies that hire a disabled veteran. This will put people to work and decrease disability payments. For instance, a veteran couple I know each receive $2,853/month in VA disability, with free medical care and prescriptions, totaling $5,706 cash monthly income and $68,474 cash annually.
Outside the List
Despite the List of 100, aerospace manufacturers will continue to offer increasing numbers of jobs that veterans can fill. One of the largest pools of emerging work belongs to Space-X, who needs Engineers, Avionics Technicians, Salespeople at various levels, Administrators, Technical Writers and dozens of other job titles for over 400 open positions today.
Places to Look
- A Review of Aerospace Careers
Space Tourism has the potential to become of the largest Aerospace Industries of the 21st century. Industrial Transport into space may over take that!
- Privatized Space Flight - Spaceship Designs 2011 -20
In August 2011, NASA chose 7 top companies for commerical aerospace transport manufacture. They were chosen to design and build a commercial spaceship.
- Top 20 Best Hot Jobs in Florida - Computers and Aero...
The Top 7 Jobs in Florida are all in the cluster of IT occupations. The Number One Florida Fast-Growth Job is Computer Support Specialists, with 29,000+ new jobs in 2010 alone. Computer Software Engineers in the number two spot is increasing jobs by
Best Hiring Companies
- Home Depot
- Oracle - IT jobs, all levels
- Walmart - Supervisor Jobs
- Robert Half - IT and Accounting
- Community Health Systems
- Office Depot
Top 10 Highest Demand Jobs For Veterans
- Operations Managers
- Retail Salespeople
- Systems Engineers
- Senior Software Engineers
- Software Engineers
- Office Supplies Associate
- IT Chief Architects
- Telecommunications Technicians
- Electrical Technicians
No Need to Wait for the Whitehouse 100
Top 100 Military Friendly Employers at GIJobs (See the link at right for the complete Top 100).
- Booz Allen Hamilton Inc. (defense) - www.boozallen.com
- ManTech International (defense) - www.mantech.com
- CSX Corporation (transport) - www.csx.com
- URS (defense) - www.urscorp.com
- CACI International Inc. (defense) - www.caci.com
- Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corporation (transport) - www.bnsf.com/careers
- Johnson Controls, Inc. (industrial products mfg.)- www.johnsoncontrols.com
- USAA (insurance) - www.usaa.com
- Northrop Grumman Corporation (defense) - www.northropgrumman.com
- Lockheed Martin (defense and aerospace flight) - www.lockheedmartin.com
Note that these Top 10 are involved almost entirely in defense and transportation. If the Whitehouse 100 list the same as the GIJobs 100 List? Probably not, but there is some overlap already.
A Transitional Magazine
- G.I. Jobs
G.I. Jobs magazine is the premier publication for military transitioners. It provides education, transition assistance, and job opportunities for military transitioners looking for careers and employment.
SimplyHired.com Opened a Search Engine for Veterans
- Veteran Jobs | Simply Hired
Find all Veteran jobs at Simply Hired, the largest job search engine. Search jobs for military veterans from thousands of career sites across the web.
More by this Author
Based on a screenplay by Arthur Miller from his 1953 play and 1967 film, this 1996 adaptation by Miller's son Bob focuses on the power of manipulation and of choosing who lives or dies...
Why do we use an electoral college instead of a straight popular vote as used in Ancient Greece? Do we need election reforms to end Gerrymandering, bias, and other manipulations?
Since 2010, news from BLOOMBERG BUSINESSWEEK has been that Canada and Australia were little touched by The Great Recession. New jobs continue to increase.