True Crimes #1 - Reasons why Mark David Chapman murdered Beatles' main man John Lennon
Still under the scrutiny of the law
Welcome to my new series on HubPages: True Crimes.
Most of us are aware of the most-celebrated murder cases in the world.
True Crime Files include the MURDER of JOHN LENNON.
I was watching a national television noontime show here in the Philippines, when on of the segment hosts did a trivia question about the death of John Lennon and what thing did Mark David Chapman (now 57 and still incarcerated) brought hours before his pre-planned murder on the famous Beatles' singer/songwriter.
Prior to this writing, I also did some research on Wikipedia about the murderer and how he, was obsessed to kill Mr. Lennon.
I was only Grade 4 when a news alert was broadcast over the radio about the untimely demise of the Beatles' main man.
My father who used to be a fan of the band told us that it was his fan who killed him.
Digging deeply into this famous murder in the history of mankind, I put my untiring hands on the keyboards of a rented desktop computer and began my online journey to hear and read comments from fellow readers, viewers, fans and haters about this event.
Note: I am more concerned with John Lennon's birhdate (October 9, 1940) as it triggered me to start this series.
John Lennon Death 12/09/80 ABC NEWS c/o galaxies352
Mug shots of MDChapmanClick thumbnail to view full-size
I am not the Walrus aka Chapman
Mark David Chapman was born to an American middle class family, his father a US army sergeant and his mother a nurse.
A Christian but a college dropout, Chapman has a suicidal tendency or maybe the decadence of the 60s and the provocative writings of the era influenced him to hate the rich and famous of the American society.
Bipolarism is not yet a popular topic among psychologists but having imaginary friends triggered him to be obsessed of killing someone like John Lennon. Depression can make a man kill somebody but having 'little people' dictate what you will do, it's another story.
When a friend recommended a book titled, Catcher in the Rye, he began reenacting the main protagonist's scenes on the book.
I haven't read this book yet.
The only main reason that made him murdered Mr. Lennon was when he heard the man declared that they're famous that the Son of God.
Other than that, I want to correct others that he is a fanatic fan of John. He isn't.
Thirty two years after he did that criminal act, he was heard to say that he realized that he will be somebody if he killed John Lennon.
Instead, he became a criminal and a nobody - a hated individual to date.
The day the music dies (December 8, 1980)
I have linked a news dispatch from ABC News regarding the grave atmosphere as one of the pillars of world music industry, John Lennon, was murdered.
The remaining members of the Beatles, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and George Harrison all cried because of the untimely death of their friend.
Those who vividly remembered the gruesome scenes, these were some of their unedited opinions (mostly from YouTube).
- Some people don't react like others to shocking news. They do turn cold or numb. Also some men don't want to be shown with tears in their eyes. You don't really know what was in his mind. I get the impression he didn't want the media to pry into his personal feelings..so he shut them down,both the press and his feelings.(gardenofthegods)
- Long story short, criminals will always have guns. Drugs like cocaine and meth are illegal, have been for a long time, yet they still manage to appear in the U.S. Odd isn't it? You would think with your logic, that since they were abolished, the problem would just go away.(Nicholas Nowicki )
- Lets see RFK, JFK, MLK and Lennon.......all killed by lone gunmen who were disturbed....Hmmm, im not sure I buy that. Did you think the right was going to sit by and see the American people led to brighter future?**Enter Reagan^^(zaxx19)
- Guns don't pick themselves up and shoot people. People kill people. That nut case Chapman could have killed John with a knife, machete or a frigen claw hammer. What puzzles me is why John didn't have a couple security guards around him. Especially for a person of his profile. Sad frigen day! RIP JWL.... You're missed..(jamesjdb)
- He (John Lennon) was from an era that represented the last push for humans being rather than humans doing. Those individualistic and free notions were no longer representative of society when he attempted to make a comeback. He was a warrior for everything that the owners of the planet despise and he had to go. We can't allow men like him to live. They are a cancer in the new world order. You don't spread these ideas in an established system. If the people really wanted to listen to this man, they would act. (Xello998)
If I will opine on the probabilities of lax security in John Lennon's life, loose guns were also apparent in America during those times.
Even the FBI have files on John Lennon's support to activists during the 60s until the 80s.
It can be noted that John Lennon was very vocal against US President Nixon's stand on Vietnam War.
The media concluded that Lennon is a serious threat to Britain and US alliance.
After three decades, still, people are speaking about the death of this legend.
There will be no other John Lennon.
IMAGINE if there will be another one.
The Beatles in America
Thou shall not kill.
Still, I will post my main reason on publishing this hub.
Mark David Chapman violated one of the Ten Commandments of God, "Thou shalt not kill."
Why are people killing each other?
ENVY is the main cause of such violation.
HATRED will be the second.
If you mix these two negative thoughts, it will be potent to kill anybody, even members of your family (which/that is happening in this generation)
It can eradicate mankind.
And this WORLD we live in.
True Crimes - John Lennon
More on True Crimes Stories
- The Best 10 True Crime Books of 2011
Find out the 10 (oops, make that 11 - there was a tie!) best true crime books of 2011 that should be on your reading list, if they aren't already!
- American Serial Killers: True Crime Short Stories Fe...
Take a journey across the country and learn about some of Americas most horrific killers. This fifth part discusses John Edward Robinson from Kansas City, Kansas, who has been declared the internets first serial killer; Donald Harvey, who began his k
- Interesting Serial Killers and Crimes You May Not Ha...
Stories of crimes and people that you may not know about, that is, if the peculiar intrigues you.
More by this Author
It's a scary society. Effects of moral decay are everywhere.How can we live in a society that more than half of the population are committing immoral acts? Find out what are these I'm talking about.
Police brutality tarnishes the achievements that the department earned for the last decades. In the Philippines, the police is one of the least respected institution because of what the scalawags are doing, highlighting...
Water Bonsai is the latest fad in home gardening. The beautiful twist is that you can grow the saplings of your choice inside your home due to a technology initiated by a Filipino inventor, Edwin dela Torre.