President Obama accomplishments
The media including news talk radio provides us with news that they feel is relevant. As a consumer of media I have noticed that a large portion of the news we view and listen to provides us with information that is incorrect, half truth, or just a plain lie. We as the consumer of the media have to determine if the information provided to us is based from facts or opinion. Facts can be proven time and time again. Opinions are what we believe, but are incomplete of certainty. The two are distinctly different.
Since President Obama has taken office we hear all the negative aspects of his Presidency from the media. Your average citizen consumes the information whether right or wrong and forms an opinion. I am an independent opposed to forming an opinion but rely on research of the facts. Since the major issue most Americans struggle with is the economy I will review what President Obama promised and if those promises were a truth or lie.
President Obama Fact or Lie:
1. Increase the capital gains and dividends taxes for higher income tax payers: This was a lie. President Obama brokered a major deal on taxes, agreeing to continue the current tax rates for high earners. He said repeatedly during the campaign that he intended to let them expire. The tax rates, passed during President George W. Bush's administration, were set to go up in 2011.
2. Eliminate capital gains tax for small businesses and start-ups: This was a compromise. The goal was to jump start small business spending. The rates were extended temporarily with the same limitations as before.
3. Create an Advanced Manufacturing Fund to invest in peer-reviewed manufacturing processes: Truth. Obama said during his campaign he would create a advanced manufacturing fund and he did.
4. Create a foreclosure prevention fund for homeowners: Lie. President Obama actually funded 75 billion from (TARP), but as of January 2011 only 500,000 homeowners have been given permanent loan modifications. Keep in mind he may not have control over this, but more oversight could have been put in place.
5. Increase minority access to capital: Truth. Obama said he would strengthen programs that provide capital to minority small businesses. SBA reported that 29 percent of small business loans went to minority owned firms.
Here I just list five truth’s or lies, but the list is exhaustive and you as a consumer can research any promise that you feel President Obama has made in the past or to current date. The point of this article is not just listening to everything you hear, but do a little research to check the facts yourself.
More by this Author
How to open a group home for teenagers in Southern California. This is a business you get into to try to make a difference in teenagers life.