What's New in Michigan Politics February 2012
2-29-12NYTimes EDITORIAL "Romney Wins and the Middle Class Loses"
- Romney Wins and the Middle Class Loses - NYTimes.com
Mitt Romney may have won the most delegates Tuesday night, but the out-of-touch Republican campaigns ignore the problems of blue-collar voters.
2-29-12NYTimes--North Korea Agrees to Stop Nuclear Program.
- North Korea Agrees to Curb Nuclear Work, U.S. Says - NYTimes.com
North Korea will suspend nuclear weapons tests and uranium enrichment at its main facility as part of a deal that includes an American food aid package, the State Department said.
2-29-12FreePress--Detroit's Ex-Treasurer Indicted in Pension Bribery Scheme that Bilked $84 Million from Two Detroit Pension Funds
- Ex-Kilpatrick appointee indicted in pension fund bribes, ready to fight, his attorney says | Detroit
According to the indictment, unsealed today, former Detroit Treasurer Jeff Beasley took bribes in exchange for approving more than $200 million in investments by the two City of Detroit pensions.
2-29-12FreePressOPINION--"Michigan Victory Can't Mask Romney's Troubles" Stephen Henderson
- Stephen Henderson: Michigan victory can't mask Romney's troubles | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Mitt Romney is still struggling to get decisive separation from a pack of much weaker candidates. He'll hobble into the Super Tuesday contests with wins here in Michigan and in Arizona, but without the kind of momentum that suggests he's close to put
2-28-12FreePress--Romney Wins in Michigan
2-28-12NYTimes--"Romney Claims Victory in Arizona and Michigan"
- Romney Wins Michigan After Tight Race - NYTimes.com
Mitt Romney successfully fended off a challenge from Rick Santorum in Michigan, a key battleground state, boosting his chances of becoming the Republican nominee.
2-29-12NYTimes--"Parsing the Exit Pollis in Michigan and Arizona"
- Parsing the Exit Polls in Michigan and Arizona - NYTimes.com
Highlights so far, based on surveys of voters leaving the primary polls: a moderate electorate in Michigan and an enthusiasm gap in Arizona.
2-28-12NYTimes "Obama's Economists Not Stimulating Enough"
- ‘The Escape Artists,’ by Noam Scheiber - NYTimes.com
In his new book, Noam Scheiber argues that in-fighting and Lawrence H. Summers kept President Obama from doing enough for the economy during the recession.
2-28-12NYTimes OP-ED "Rick Santorum Got a Bad Clam" Frank Bruni
- It’s a College, Not a Cloister - NYTimes.com
Rick Santorum misses the belief-testing point of education.
2-28-12FreePress--Free Press Endorsements for Primary
- Free Press endorsements for Feb. 28 Michigan GOP primary | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
The Detroit Free Press made two endorsements for this year's primary election--Romney for GOP presidential nomination and Tim Greimel for 39 Congressional district GOP nomination.
2-28-12FreePress--Rising Storm of Gun Violence Hits Hard at Detroit's Kids
- Rising storm of violence hits hard at Detroit's kids | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
In recent weeks, Detroit has witnessed the shooting death of an infant, the shooting death of a 12-year-old girl, a 14-year-old boy accused of killing his mother and a 6-year-old critically injured after being shot with an AK47. The city is experienc
2-28-12NYTimes--Third Student Dead in Ohio School Shooting
- Ohio School Shooting Leaves 3 Dead - NYTimes.com
Two more students died on Tues., a day after a shooting rampage at a high school left one student dead and others seriously wounded. [We are long overdue for effective laws regulating the manufacture, sale and use of handguns and better enforcement.
2-28-12FreePress--Ohio School Shooting Victim Declared Brain Dead
- Hospitalized Ohio school shooting victim declared brain dead | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Hugh Shannon, administrator at the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner's Office, says officials received the word early Tuesday about Russell King Jr.
2-28-12FreePress--Make or Break Day for Romney and Santorum
- Michigan primary today; it's a make-or-break day for Romney, Santorum | Detroit Free Press | freep.c
After two weeks in the headlights in the hunt for a GOP presidential candidate, Michigan voters go to the polls today, and the outcome could help determine whether the slog continues.
2-26-12FreePress--What Did Wayne County Get For $400k?
- Wayne County contracts: E-mail obtained by Free Press show ex-official wired $400,000 just ahead of
Hours before FBI agents delivered subpoenas last fall seeking records from Wayne County headquarters, the director of a county health care program for needy people wired $400,000 of the program's money to a fledgling IT company that apparently did no
2-28-12NYTimes EDITORIAL "Not What Paul Volcker Had in Mind"
- Not What Paul Volcker Had in Mind - NYTimes.com
The Volcker rule is supposed to stop banks from doing the sort of risky trading that was one of the causes of the financial meltdown. There is still time to get it right.
2-27-12NYTimes OP-ED "What Ails Europe?" Paul Krugman
- What Ails Europe? - NYTimes.com
The two common explanations — call it the Republican narrative and the German narrative — are just wrong.
2-28-12NYTimes "How to Frack Responsibly" Joe Nocera
- How to Frack Responsibly - NYTimes.com
An environmental group takes a practical approach to the problems with drilling for hard-to-get natural gas.
Voter Encouragement Needed, Not Voter Suppression
Letters, Detroit Free Press, February 20, 2011
No roadblocks to voting
Voting fraud -- in contrast to other types of fraud that are quite common, especially in the banking and securities industry -- is not a significant problem for one simple reason: There is no financial incentive for anyone to vote fraudulently. A bigger problem is the fact that a large number of citizens who are eligible to vote don't bother to do so. Legislating more stringent requirements to register and vote, thus, is exactly what is not needed in our democracy.
2-20-12NYTimes OP-ED Europe's "Pain Without Gain" Paul Krugman
- Pain Without Gain - NYTimes.com
The results are in: austerity policies have been an utter failure.
2-20-12NYTimes--OP-ED "Is This the End of Market Democracy?" Thomas Edsall
- Is This the End of Market Democracy? - NYTimes.com
The decline of the middle class is altering the shape of liberal capitalism as we know it. At least that's what the experts think.
2-20-12NYTimes--Iran Raid Seen as Complex Task for Israel
- Iran Raid Seen as Complex Task for Israeli Military - NYTimes.com
An attack would take at least 100 planes, American defense officials and military analysts said, and take far more time than earlier strikes on nuclear sites in Syria and Iraq.
2-20-12FreePress--"Bitter Antidote for Abandonment" Brian Dickerson
- Brian Dickerson: Wayne County's bitter antidote for abandonment | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Stick your head into any modern preschool classroom and you will hear teachers extolling their young charges to make 'good choices.' But in the adult world, policy makers must often select from a more limited menu -- one whose real-world options rang
2-20-12FreePress--Who Approved $200k Severance for Turkia Mullin?
- Official's signature appears on form giving Turkia Awada Mullin $200,000 severance | Detroit Free Pr
A document obtained by the Free Press raises questions about who signed off on the $200,000 severance payment that sparked a scandal enveloping Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano's administration.
2-20-12FreePressEDITORIAL--Doubts Grow About Ficano
- Editorial: Case by case by case, the doubts grow about Wayne County Exec Ficano | Detroit Free Press
Time is running out for Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano to quell the uncertainty over whether he is corrupt, incompetent or some less comprehensible combination of the two.
2-20-12FreePress--Romney Gaining on Santorum in Michigan
- Michigan Republican primary race tightening as Mitt Romney gains on Rick Santorum | Detroit Free Pre
But late Sunday, Public Policy Polling – which showed a 15-point lead for Santroum last week – reported a new survey that shows Santorum leading by 4 percentage points, 37% to 33% for former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.
Santorum Supporter Foster Friess on Contraceptives
2-19-12NYTimes Dealbook--"A Small Break for Beer Drinkers Over the Chablis and Brie Crowd"
- An I.P.O. Process That Is Customer-Friendly - NYTimes.com
Some consumer-oriented companies have pursued an I.P.O. process that gives customers, not bankers, a chance to buy shares at a favorable price.
1-24-12NYTimes--Haves vs. Have Nots Issue at Davos
- Davos Attendees Confront a New Wave of Anger - NYTimes.com
The growing income inequality between the ultrarich and the middle class is now debated in arenas where the primacy of laissez-faire capitalism was once taken for granted.
2-19-12NYTimes--"Ford's Mr. Inside, in Sight of the Crown"
- Mark Fields Is Ford’s Mr. Inside, and Its Heir Apparent - NYTimes.com
Mark Fields is the heir apparent to Alan Mulally as C.E.O. of the resurgent Ford Motor Company — as long as there are no stumbles.
2-19-12NYTimesEDITORIAL "Beginning of the End" in Afghanistan
- Beginning of the End - NYTimes.com
The urgent to-do list in Afghanistan before the United States brings its troops home by the end of 2014.
2-19-12FreePressEDITORIAL "Romney and Santorum Appeal to Fringe Voters"
2-19-12FreePress OPINION "What Gov. Snyder Left Unspoken When He Endorsed Mitt Romney" Brian Dickerson
- What Gov. Snyder left unspoken when he endorsed Mitt Romney | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
We can only speculate what Gov. Rick Snyder was thinking when he endorsed Mitt Romney for the Republican presidential nomination this week. Snyder's actual words appear below in boldface. The italic annotations that follow are my own.
2-19-12NYTimes--Car Sharing Companies Link Owners With Renters
- Car-Sharing Companies Link Owners With Renters - NYTimes.com
In a new twist on peer-to-peer sharing, several companies are matching car owners with prospective renters. [At any given time most cars are sitting idle which is an inefficient use of capital equipment.]
2-19-11Salon--Billionaire Romney Supporter, Frank VanderSloot, Uses Threats to Silence Critics
- Billionaire Romney donor uses threats to silence critics - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com
Frank VanderSloot, Romney finance co-chair, suppresses scrutiny by threatening reporters and bloggers with lawsuits.
2-18-12TPMMuckraker--Arizona Family Values Republican Bites the Dust
- Arizona Sheriff Rocked By Accusations Of Alleged Immigrant Ex-Boyfriend | TPMMuckraker
Rising Republican star and border hawk Sheriff Paul Babeu, who’s now running for Congress in Arizona, was hit Friday with bombshell accusations from a Mexican immigrant who said he dated the sheriff for years and was threatened with deportation.
2-19-12NYTimes--" "The Cargill Burger That Shattered Her Life"
- Woman’s Shattered Life Shows Ground Beef Inspection Flaws - NYTimes.com
Stephanie Smith, 22, was left paralyzed in 2007 after eating a burger tainted by E. coli. Tracing her burger shows why eating ground beef is still a gamble.
2-17-12NYTimes--Negotiations With Iran May Resume Soon
- Talks With Iran Over Nuclear Program May Resume - NYTimes.com
An offer by Iran for talks came as a telecommunications network vital to the global banking industry prepared to expel Iranian banks.
2-17-12NYTimes--"A Rate Sleuth Making Rental Car Companies Squirm"
- AutoSlash, a Rate Sleuth, Makes Rental Car Companies Squirm - Your Money - NYTimes.com
An online booking engine called AutoSlash engenders something like revulsion from members of the auto rental industry.
2-17-12DetroitNews--GOP Candidates Courting Tea Party Voters
- GOP presidential candidates courting tea party vote | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
In his third Michigan stop to unseat chief rival Mitt Romney, former Sen. Rick Santorum told a packed rally of tea party supporters Friday they have an opportunity on Feb. 28 to turn the GOP presidential race "on its ear."
2-17-12NYTimes--Working for the IRS
- Working All Day for the I.R.S. - Common Sense - NYTimes.com
Sift through mounds of I.R.S. data and discover something you probably already knew: People who work pay the bulk of the taxes.
2-17-12NYTimes EDITORIAL "Europe's Failed Course on the Economy"
- Europe’s Failed Course on the Economy - NYTimes.com
Austerity measures clearly are not working, so why are leaders still forcing it on Greece and others?
2-17-12NYTimes EDITORIAL "A Second Front in the Climate War"
- A Second Front in the Climate War - NYTimes.com
The United States and five other countries announced a potentially game-changing initiative to cut global warming gases.
2-17-12NYTimes OP-ED"Santorum's Gospel of Inequality" Charles Blow
- Santorum’s Gospel of Inequality - NYTimes.com
Rick Santorum is becoming increasingly unhinged in his public comments. Just look at some of the things he has said recently.
2-17-12FreePress--For Women Under 30 Most Births Occur Outside Marriage
- For Women Under 30, Most Births Occur Outside Marriage - NYTimes.com
Motherhood without marriage among younger women across the country is both a symbol of the transforming family and a hint of coming generational change.
2-19-12NYTimes "Oscar Mania and its Discontents"
- Manohla Dargis and A. O. Scott on the Oscars - NYTimes.com
The film critics Manohla Dargis and A. O. Scott talk about the spectacularly trivial, paradoxically important Oscars.
2-17-12FreePressEDITORIAL--Michigan's Prisoner Re-entry Program has Proved its Worth
- Editorial: Michigan's prisoner re-entry program has proved its worth | Detroit Free Press | freep.co
Despite the rants of some prosecutors and several fixable flaws, Michigan's Prisoner Re-Entry Initiative is doing what it's supposed to do: reduce recidivism, and therefore the state's prison population, by helping parolees find jobs, housing, transp
2-17-12FreePress--Bob Lutz: "U.S. Auto Rescue Necessary"
- Lutz: U.S. auto bailouts were necessary | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Former General Motors Vice Chairman Bob Lutz on Friday sharply criticized Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, defending the rescue of GM and Chrysler as a 'necessary government intervention.' 'He thinks we didn't try' to borrow money from
2-16-12FreePress--Handyman Gentz Admitted to Prosecutor His Involvement in Jane Bashara's Murder
- Jane Bashara's slaying: Handyman Gentz also admitted involvement to prosecutor | Detroit Free Press
A handyman not only confessed to his role in the slaying of Jane Bashara during an interview with Grosse Pointe Park police, but also admitted his involvement to an assistant Macomb County prosecutor, it was revealed today.
2-19-12NYTimes OP-Ed GOP "Moochers Against Welfare" Paul Krugman
- Moochers Against Welfare - NYTimes.com
There is a strange redness to America’s safety net. Why do the regions that need the helping hand elect politicians who want to tear it down?
2-19-12NYTimes EDITORIAL "Santorum's 'Small Thinking"
- Small Thinking - NYTimes.com
Rick Santorum’s blame-government platform is wearyingly predictable.
2-17-12FreePress--On Auto Rescue, Romney's Verbal Gymnastics are Wearying Tom Walsh
- Tom Walsh: On auto rescue, Romney's verbal gymnastics are wearying | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Mitt Romney must be on the verge of exhaustion from all the verbal contortions and mental gymnastics he puts himself through, trying to make his past words and current positions sound palatable to presidential primary voters.
2-17-12FreePress--Gop Has Already Lost Michigan's Vote Rochelle Riley
- Rochelle Riley: GOP has already lost Michigan's vote | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
They may as well have been in Kansas. Two GOP candidates came to Michigan to talk to their voters, to the small number of Michigan voters who wear red, write checks and vote in primaries. That made it easier for the duo -- in separate venues -- to ba
2-17-12TPM--How the GOP Went Back to the 1950s in Just One Day
- How The GOP Went Back To The 1950s In Just One Day | TPM2012
Very neatly, and on three separate fronts, conservatives in America turned the clock back to the 1950s with their rhetoric about women’s rights Thursday, according to women in politics on both sides of the aisle. This could be a big problem for the G
2-17-12FreePress EDITORIAL "An Inferior Council Map Emerges from a Flawed Process"
- Editorial: An inferior council map emerges from a flawed process | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Leave it to Detroit City Council members to strike a blow for more representative government and still manage to leave their constituents feeling crummy about the process.
2-16-12FreePress--Six Wayne County Appointees Claim Ficano Cheated them Out of Promised Severance Payments
- 6 appointees claim Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano cheated them out of promised severance benef
Six top appointees of Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano have sued claiming Ficano cheated them out of promised severance benefits after a scandal exploded over a $200,000 payout to former chief development officer Turkia Awada Mullin.
2-17-12FreePress--Ficano Says He Won't Step Down
- Ficano says he won't step down despite calls to do so | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Embattled Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano said Thursday that he won't step down -- despite calls from some county commissioners to do so -- but two more of his appointees said they will. Personnel Director Georgetta Kelly announced her resignati
2-16-22DetroitNews--Two Wayne County Commissioners Call For Ficano's Resignation
- Two Wayne Co. commissioners call for Ficano's resignation | The Detroit News | detroitnews.c
Two Wayne County commissioners today called for the resignation of embattled Executive Robert Ficano, whose administration is embroiled in a federal corruption probe.
2-16-12FreePress--Detroit City Council Approves Redistricting Map
- Detroit City Council approves new map for districts | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
But the council did it without debate, angering audience members who wanted to hear why each elected official chose one map over the four presented. Council members, who have all been elected at large, were to debate the merits of the proposed distri
2-16-12NYTimes--U.S. Jobless Claims Lowest Since 2008
- U.S. Jobless Claims Are Lowest Since 2008 - NYTimes.com
The Labor Department said that weekly applications for unemployment benefits dropped 13,000 to a seasonally adjusted 348,000, the fourth drop in five weeks.
2-16-12NYTimes--Bernanke: Growth Slow, But More Easing Not Likely
- Federal Reserve Unlikely to Buy More Assets - NYTimes.com
Minutes of the Jan. 24-25 meeting of the policy group show that the central bank continued to predict only modest economic growth this year.
2-16-12NYTimes--GM's Opel Registers Another Big Loss
- Europe Remains G.M.'s Weak Spot - NYTimes.com
G.M.'s European operations, mainly the Adam Opel unit based in Germany, lost about $580 million in the first nine months of 2011.
2-16-12FreePress--GM Made Record $7.6 Billion in 2011
- GM made record $7.6 billion in 2011 | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
General Motors made a record $7.6 billion in 2011, driven by a $7.2 billion profit in North America that ensures its highest profit sharing payments of $7,000 each to its UAW workers.
2-16-12FreePress--GM Freezes Pensions for Salaried Employees, Tweaks Bonuses
- GM to freeze pensions, tweak bonuses of white-collar workers | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
General Motors is freezing traditional pensions for all salaried workers in the U.S., who will now save exclusively through 401(k) plans, granting all white-collar workers an extra week of vacation and tweaking year-end bonuses that could be larger f
2-16-12FreePress--Michigan Primary Becoming Irrelevant--Brian Dickerson
- Brian Dickerson | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Given the choice of participating in either party's nominating process, four out of five Michigan voters will likely choose, as in previous primary elections, to do something else entirely.
2-16-12FreePress/AP--Iran Says it's Ready to Resume Nuclear Talks
- Thailand says Iranians targeted Israeli envoys I | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Meanwhile, Iran has told world powers it is ready to resume talks as soon as possible over its disputed nuclear program, according to a letter obtained Wednesday by the Associated Press. The offer could reflect Iran's difficulty in coping with tough
2-16-12FreePress--Romney Attacks Unions During Michigan Visit, Promises Push for Right to Work Law
- Mitt Romney takes aim at unions during Michigan visit | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney returned to his native Michigan on Wednesday and took firm aim at organized labor. 'I've taken on union bosses before, and I'm happy to take them on again,' he told a crowd crammed into a furniture compan
2-16-12FreePress--Bing Wants to End Early Morning Bus Service in Detroit
- Detroit Mayor Dave Bing wants to end early-morning bus service in city | Detroit Free Press | freep.
Mayor Dave Bing wants to end early-morning bus service citywide to help steady Detroit's finances and stabilize the city's delay-plagued public transportation system, his office will announce today. The move could mean more turmoil for bus riders in
2-6-12FreePress--Higher Expectations Reveal How Much Work Schools Have to Do
- Higher expectations reveal how much work schools have to do | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Many Michigan schools are facing an uphill battle to meet academic goals that would put students on a path for college readiness, the results of state tests show. The scores on the Michigan Educational Assessment Program (MEAP) test, released Wednesd
2-16-12DetroitNews--GM to Move all Salaried Workers to 401k Plans--No more defined benefit pensions
- GM to move all salaried workers to 401(k) plans | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
General Motors is eliminating traditional pensions for all U.S. salaried employees, replacing them with 401(k) plans.
2-16-12FreePress--Rick Snyder to Endorse Mitt Romney
- Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder to endorse Mitt Romney | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
The endorsement will be announced Thursday at a lunch event in Farmington Hills, according to Sara Wurfel, Snyder's spokeswoman.
2-16-12FreePress--Ficano Denies Knowledge of Alleged Extortion, Theft by Ex-Aide, Tahir Kazmi
- Ficano denies knowledge of alleged extortion, theft by former top aide | Detroit Free Press | freep.
Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano denied knowledge of an alleged extortion plot in which one of his top aides is accused of demanding trips to exotic destinations, more than $80,000 in cash, cell phones for his children -- and a 49% stake in a con
2-15-12FreePress--Hoekstra's Superbowl Ad Drags Poll Numbers Down; Actress who Appeared in Ad Apologizes
- Hoekstra's Super Bowl ad drags his poll numbers down | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
The controversial first ad aired by the Pete Hoekstra for Senate campaign has taken its toll. A poll of 560 Michigan voters, done late last week by Public Policy Polling, shows Hoekstra falling further behind incumbent U.S. Sen. Debbie Stabenow. She’
2-15-12NYTimes--Romney-Santorum Ad War Intensifies in Michigan
- Romney-Santorum Ad Wars Intensify in Michigan - NYTimes.com
The attacks began when a “Super PAC” backing Mitt Romney released an ad alleging big government spending by Rick Santorum while he served as a senator.
2-15-12NYTimes--Tentative Deal Reached on Payroll Tax and Unemployment Compensation Extension
- Tentative Deal Reached to Preserve Cut in Payroll Tax - NYTimes.com
Republicans and Democrats both claimed a measure of victory as the tax reduction was extended without spending cuts to pay for it. The deal also provided for additional unemployment compensation benefits.
2-15-12NYtimes EDITORIAL--Obama's Pitch on Energy
- Obama’s Pitch on Energy - NYTimes.com
The proposals in the president’s new budget are essential for addressing global warming, reducing America’s dependence on foreign oil and creating clean energy jobs.
2-15-12DetroitNews--EDITORIAL "What Romney Misses on Auto Bailout"
- Editorial: What Romney misses on Detroit bailout | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
Mitt Romney gets a lot of things right in his critique of the automotive industry bailout, but he makes one critical mistake in arguing that a managed bankruptcy without government intervention would have been just as effective.
2-15-12DetroitNews--Detroit Water Rates Jump 8.5%
- Metro Detroit water rates to jump 8.5% | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
Water and sewer rates will jump an average of 8.5 percent for area residents who tap in to the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department.
2-15-12FreePress--ECD Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy
- ECD files for Chapter 11 protection | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
The shakeout in the solar power industry claimed another victim Tuesday as Auburn Hills-based Energy Conversion Devices filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and announced plans to sell its assets, including its main subsidiary, United Solar Ovonic.
2-15-12FreePress--Troy Mayor Daniels May Face Recall
- Troy Mayor Janice Daniels could face recall vote | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Barely 90 days into office, Troy Mayor Janice Daniels could soon face a recall. An entity called Recall Janice Daniels filed two petitions Monday with the Oakland County Clerk's Office. Daniels was called a 'dangerous, polarizing ideologue' on its we
2-14-12FreePress--Obama's Auto Task Force Leader Steve Rattner Says Romney is Clueless About Bailout
- Obama's auto task force leader Steven Rattner calls Romney clueless on so-called bailout | Detroit F
The head of Obama’s auto task force overseeing the rescue of GM and Chrysler said that if Romney seriously believes the companies would have survived without gov't financing in 2008 and 2009, he doesn’t understand how bad the financial crash was at t
2-14-12DetroitNews--Wayne County Commissioners Seek to Halt Retroactive Contracts
- Wayne commissioners seek to halt retroactive contracts | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
Detroit- Wayne County commissioners are looking to stop retroactive contracts that come across their desks for approval months or even a year after work has been performed.
2-14-12DetroitNews--Michigan Senate Passes Bill Requiring Photo ID to Register to Vote and Requires Completion of Training for Volunteers for Voter Registration
- Senate OKs bills requiring photo ID to register to vote | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
Citizens will be required to show a photo ID when registering to vote under a package of bills that passed over Democrats' objections in the state Senate today.
Voting Fraud is Not a Significant Problem
Voting fraud is not a significant problem for one simple reason--in contrast to other types of fraud which are quite common, especially in the banking and securities industry--there is no financial incentive for anyone to vote fraudulently. A bigger problem is the fact that a large number of citizens who are eligible to vote don't bother to do so. Legislating more stringent requirements to register and vote, thus, is the exactly what is not needed in our democracy.
A much greater problem, exemplified in the 2000 presidential election in Florida and in the recent irregularities in the GOP caucuses in Iowa and Maine, is dishonesty on the part of election officials in purging voter rolls, and counting ballots.
2-14-12DetroitNews--OP-ED "Auto Bailout Was Crony Capitalism on a Grand Scale"
- Romney op-ed: U.S. autos bailout \'was crony capitalism on a grand scale\' | The Detroit News | detr
Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney contends that the Obama administration should sell its ownership in GM and return the money to taxpayers.
2-14-12FreePress--Polls Show Santorum Leading Romney in Michigan Primary
- Michigan primary: Mitt Romney behind Rick Santorum, polls show | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
With two weeks to go until Michigan's presidential primary, Mitt Romney could be in trouble. Two polls released Monday showed Romney, the former Massachusetts governor who grew up in Bloomfield Hills, trailing former U.S. Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsy
2-14-12NYTimes EDITORIAL "A Responsible Budget"
- A Responsible 2013 Budget - NYTimes.com
President Obama’s proposal is rightly focused on reviving the economy. If Congress cared more about economic stabilization than scoring political points, it would sign on.
2-12-12NYTimes--Sad Story of a Palm Beach One Percenter
- In Florida Polo Country, a Tale of Death, Money and Adoption - NYTimes.com
A Wellington, Fla., millionaire has adopted his girlfriend, 42, amid a vehicular homicide case and a civil suit.
2-13-12NYTimes OP-ED According to Romney Conservatism is a Disease of Which He's Severely Afflicted--Paul Krugman
- Severe Conservative Syndrome - NYTimes.com
Mitt Romney’s words are a clue to what went wrong for Republicans.
2-13-12NYTimes OP-ED "The Strange Career of Voter Suppression" Alexander Keyssar
- The Strange Career of Voter Suppression - NYTimes.com
The right to vote has been extended and withdrawn throughout our history.
2-12-12FreePress EDITORIAL "See You After the Election"
- Editorial: See you after the election | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Gov. Rick Snyder says this will be a year in which his administration focuses on executing the initiatives it put in place last year, not on proposing new ones. And good management of state government is in everyone's interest -- but is it enough? Af
2-12-12FreePress--Hutaree Cretins Trial Starts Monday
- Hutaree militia trial opens Monday | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
The government says they're homegrown terrorists who plotted to kill police officers with bombs and guns. The defense says they're tough-talking, good old boys who had no real plans to harm anyone.
2-12-12FreePress--Brian Dickerson--Schuette Stilll Flogging Dead Brith Control Horse
2-12-12NYTimes "A High Tech War on Leaks" Adam Lipton
- A High-Tech War on Leaks - NYTimes.com
Journalists used to have a chance to protect their sources, but advances in surveillance technology have changed that. The Obama administration has brought more prosecutions government officials for leaking classifed information than all previous adm
2-12-12NYTimes--Clueless Bishops Reject Obama's Compromise on Contraceptive Coverage
- Bishops Reject White House’s New Plan on Contraception - NYTimes.com
The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops said a compromise offered by President Obama on birth control coverage did not go far enough in protecting religious liberty.
2-12-12NYTimes--EDITORIAL--Foreclosure Settlement--Too Many Unanswered Questions and Too Little Relief
- The Foreclosure Deal - Unanswered Questions and Little Relief - NYTimes.com
The settlement could be a step in the right direction, but a follow-up investigation is needed.
- J.F.K.’s Intern - NYTimes.com
Mimi Alford never made the full story of her affair with President Kennedy public until last week, when her book came out.
2-12-12NYTimes--Hold the Applause--The Lying Banksters Come Out on Top Again
- Mortgage Settlement Leaves Much to Be Desired - Fair Game - NYTimes.com
It’s hard to imagine that this settlement will restore trust in loan servicers. Given their questionable practices — how they larded improper fees on struggling homeowners and forced people to buy insurance at triple market rates--restoring confiden
2-12-12FreePress--FBI Warns of New Banking Scam
- FBI warns of new banking scam | Bankrate.com
The FBI recently issued a warning about a new banking email scam. Go to Bankrate.com to learn how banks protect your private information.
2-12-12NYTimes EDITORIAL--"What Homeowners Need Now"
- The Foreclosure Settlement - What Homeowners Need Now - NYTimes.com
Foreclosure relief should include mortgages owned by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, which hold roughly 30 million mortgage loans.
2-11-12FreePress--Spending by Wayne County on Mental Health Under Investigation
- Spending at Wayne County mental health agency focus of new investigation | Detroit Free Press | free
Scandal-plagued Wayne County faces a new investigation, this time by state Attorney General Bill Schuette, who wants to examine the spending practices of the Detroit-Wayne County Community Mental Health Agency. The agency, which treats people with de
2-11-12NYTimes OP-Ed "Beyond Pelvic Politics" Nicholas Kristof
- Beyond Pelvic Politics - NYTimes.com
In their beef with President Obama over birth control, Catholic bishops ignore the link between contraceptives and poverty.
2-11-12NYTimes--Romney Wins Maine Straw Poll Caucus
- Maine Republican Caucuses - Election Results - Election 2012 - NYTimes.com
Maine Republican Caucuses: Latest election results, polls and updates for the 2012 presidential election.
2-11-12Slate--Santorum Takes 15 Point Lead Over Romney in National Poll
- Santorum 15 point national lead in poll by Public Policy Polling
For the first time, Santorum has taken a lead in a national poll. Less than a week after he beat Mitt Romney in three primary contests, Santorum is now 15 points ahead of the former governor, according to Democratic firm Public Policy Polling.
2-11-12FreePress--GM Plant in China Gets Environmental Okay
- GM plant gets environmental OK | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
General Motors has won approval from environmental authorities in central China for a new $1.1-billion assembly plant, though the company says it has not yet decided on the plan. The go-ahead by the Hubei Environmental Protection Bureau, seen Friday
2-11-12FreePress "Time to Clean House in Wayne County"
- Letters: Time to clean house in Wayne County | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
The Feb. Free Press articles and editorial dealing with Wayne County executive Robert Ficano and Wayne County corruption are starting to bring into question the very relevance of this governmental entity. What we have is a county CEO who has appointe
2-11-12NYTimes OP-ED "The Politics of Keystone" Joe Nocera
- The Politics of Keystone, Take 2 - NYTimes.com
Building the oil pipeline is not going to lead to apocalypse.
1-11-12NYTimes "Why Manufacturing Still Matters" Laura D'Andrea Tyson
- Laura D'Andrea Tyson: Why Manufacturing Still Matters - NYTimes.com
President Obama's support for manufacturing was heartening, but he needs to do more to bolster this important sector and help train people to work in it, an economist writes.
2-11-12NYTimes--"Car Dealers Wince at Site to End Sales Haggling"
- Car Dealers Wince at a Site to End Sales Haggling - NYTimes.com
TrueCar.com promises to deliver a guaranteed price for a car, efforts that automakers have pushed back against, saying that they could eat into already thin profit margins.
2-11-12NYTimesEDITORIAL "Freedom to Choose Birth Control"
- The Freedom to Choose Birth Control - NYTimes.com
President Obama’s accommodation to church groups was not needed, but it preserves the basic principle of free access to birth control for any woman.
2-11-12FreePressEDITORIAL: Bill Schuette, the Religious Right's Whack Job in Lansing
- Editorial: Religious right\'s man in Lansing | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Michigan's overreaching attorney general, Bill Schuette, appears to be working harder at advancing his own narrow personal agenda than he is at representing Michigan's people.
2-11-12FreePress Jane Bashara's Family Denies that She and Bob had an "Open Marriage"
- Family of Jane Bashara denies claim that couple had an \'open marriage\' | Detroit Free Press | free
In a statement released this morning, the family of slain Grosse Pointe Park mother Jane Bashara denounced claims that she and her husband Bob Bashara had an open marriage. The message, penned by her siblings and parents, said the family was close an
2-11-12DetroitNews--Griem Attacks Police for Botching Investigation and Trying to Smear Bashara
- Griem attacks authorities for botching Bashara investigation | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
The attorney for Bob Bashara blasted authorities Friday for their handling of the investigation into the slaying of his client's wife and for leaking information in what he called an attempt to smear the Grosse Pointe Park businessman.
2-10-12FreePress--Gentz's Lawyer: "No talks, no deal" in Bashara Murder Case
- Joseph Gentz\'s lawyer: No talks, no deal in Bashara murder case | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
The attorney for Joseph Gentz -- the man who claimed he murdered a Grosse Pointe Park mother -- says she has not met with prosecutors and hasn't cut a deal for her client.
2-10-12FreePress--Tentative Deal with Police Unions May Help Mayor Bing Avert an Emergency Manager for Detroit
- Tentative deal with Detroit Police unions lifts Bing\'s efforts to avert emergency manager | Detroit
The deal calls for concessions that include an across-the-board wage freeze until 2015; increases in health care co-pays; and overtime restrictions. The agreement is another major step in achieving the necessary structural changes and cost savings.
2-10-12NYTimes--Surprise! Banks Come First in Greek Rescue Plan, Floyd Norris
- Plan for a Greek Debt Bailout Puts the Banks First - NYTimes.com
A proposed financial rescue package for Greece calls for debt payments as the first priority, whatever happens to Greece itself.
2-10-12MichiganChronicle--Hoekstra's Race Baiting
- Michigan Chronicle - Race-Baiting
Hoekstra’s ad against Stabenow showing an Asian woman speaking in broken English and thanking the Democratic senator for claims that she helped send jobs to China, is not only racially insensitive, but says a lot about the campaign of a candidate I o
2-10-12FreePress--Hoekstra Pulls Controversial Super Bowl Ad, Removes it from His Website
- U.S. Senate candidate Pete Hoekstra replaces controversial Super Bowl ad, takes it off website | Det
The controversial campaign ad that had critics skewering U.S. Senate candidate Pete Hoekstra has been scrubbed from his campaign website. And a new ad, with no Chinese rice paddies and no Asian woman speaking broken English, has been produced and add
2-10-12NYTimes--"The First Principles of Rick Santorum"
- Rick Santorum and Natural Law - NYTimes.com
What explains the attraction of evangelicals to a presidential candidate who prides himself on the depth of his Catholicism?
2-10-12NyTimes EDITORIAL "Some Saner Voices on Super-pacs
- Some Saner Voices on ‘Super PACs’ - NYTimes.com
Senate candidates in Massachusetts and Montana hope to keep third-party spending out of their races.
After years of austerity, Gov. Rick Snyder drew on hundreds of millions of surplus dollars generated by a rebounding Michigan economy when he drew up the 2012-13 budget he unveiled Thursday. But Snyder was determined to make sure the first surplus of
2-10-12NYTimes--Education Grows Between Rich and Poor
- Education Gap Grows Between Rich and Poor, Studies Show - NYTimes.com
The widening achievement gap between affluent and low-income students has received less attention than the divide between white and black students, which has narrowed significantly.
2-10-12NYTimes OP-ED "Money and Morals" Paul Krugman
- Money and Morals - NYTimes.com
Conservatives are telling us that the growing inequality is due to a decline in morals. But it’s mainly money...For low-education men, however, it has been all negative. Adjusted for inflation, wages of male h.s. grads have fallen 23% since 1973.
2-9-12Jobless Aid Applications Near 4-year Low
- Jobless aid applications near a 4-year low | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
Washington — More than 70 House Democrats want Congress to extend up to 99 weeks in unemployment benefits, as the number of Americans seeking unemployment benefits dropped Thursday to its lowest level in nearly four years.
2-9-12Slate--The Complicated History of Catholics, Protestants and Contraceptives
- Obama birth control coverage rules and the history of Catholics, Protestants, and contraceptives. -
The GOP candidates are still deep in the ritual dance of podium-pounding and posturing to determine who among them will take on Obama. Yet an unexpected display of unity is upon us: The three most viable candidates have raised their voices in harmoni
2-9-12OaklandPress--Latest Developments in Jane Bashara Murder Case
- Latest developments in Jane Bashara murder investigation - theoaklandpress.com
The Oakland Press is your source for all Pontiac and Oakland County 24-hour breaking news, local news, sports, entertainment and more. View daily weather updates, watch videos and photos. Keep up with Oakland County's News and Oakland County local Sp
2-9-12NYTimes--People Aren't Leaving the Labor Force
- People Are Not Leaving the Labor Force - NYTimes.com
Some commentators claim unemployment numbers look better because discouraged people are dropping out of the labor force. They are simply wrong.
2-9-12FreePress--Lake St. Clair Level High Now but Won't Last
- Lake St. Clair levels high now, but won\'t last, official says | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
There will be higher water levels than last year around Lake St. Clair this spring, but boaters and other water lovers shouldn't think that will last. The lakes will be about the same depth as last year by summer, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers pre
2-9-12NYTimes--Is Dodd-Frank About to be Emasculated?
- To Envision Dodd-Frank's Future, Look to Its Predecessor - NYTimes.com
When Sarbanes-Oxley was passed in 2002, it was attacked almost exactly like Dodd-Frank is today. But for all the criticism, the law did help clean up American corporate accounting.
2-9-12NYTimes EDITORIAL--"A Terrible Transportation Bill" that short changes mass transit, gives a gift to the oil industry, and demolishes important environmen
- A Terrible Transportation Bill - NYTimes.com
House Republicans want to starve mass transit while doing even more for Big Oil. The House bill needs revised. If it passes, the Senate must stop it.
2-9-12NYTimes--Michigan's State Budget Surplus is a Surprise, But is it Safe to Spend Again?
- Michigan Must Decide What to Do With an Unexpected Surplus - NYTimes.com
After a $457 million surplus, Michigan officials must sort out whether the worst is really over, whether it is safe to start spending again, or whether a rainy day fund may be the prudent course.
2-9-12NYTimes--Iran Defiant as Sanctions Cut Deep
- Iran Defiant in Face of Sanctions - NYTimes.com
Beneath the bombast from Iran’s leaders, strains on the economy from the sanctions showed further signs of getting worse, and Iranians appeared worried.
2-9-12NYTimes--US and Israel Split on Speed of Iran Threat and What to do About It.
- U.S. and Israel Split Over How to Deter Iran - NYTimes.com
An intense debate has erupted over when Tehran’s nuclear facilities will become invulnerable to an Israeli attack, and if economic sanctions need more time to work.
2-9-12WallStreetJournal Video--The Worst States to Retire in--2012
2-9-12NYTIMES EDITORIAL--"The House's Less Effective Ban on Insider Trading"
- The House’s Less Persuasive Ban on Insider Trading - NYTimes.com
The House should approve the full range of reform in the Senate bill that bans insider trading.
2-9-12NYTimes OPINION--Punishing the Long-term Unemployed is Mean-Spirited Bad Economics--Simon Johnson
- Simon Johnson: Mean-Spirited, Bad Economics - NYTimes.com
Punishing the long-term unemployed by refusing to extend benefits is bad economics and cruel social policy, an economist writes.
2-9-12NYTimes--States Negotiate $26 Million Deal for Homeownerswith Banksters
- States Negotiate $26 Billion Agreement for Homeowners - NYTimes.com
Nearly two million Americans could benefit from mortgage relief from the nation’s biggest banks, as part of a broad government settlement to be announced on Thursday.
2-9-12NYTimes--Breakthrough on Austerity Clears the Way for Greece Deal
- Breakthrough on Austerity Clears Way for Greek Deal - NYTimes.com
After days of talks, Greek political leaders reached a deal Thursday to support a package of harsh austerity measures demanded by Greece’s financial backers in return for a bailout.
2-9-12FreePress--Toyota to Invest $400 Million in Indiana Plant
- Toyota to invest $400M, create jobs in Indiana | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Toyota said Wednesday it plans to invest $400 million and create 400 jobs at its assembly plant in Princeton, Ind., to build a Highlander SUV hybrid, ending all production of that model in Japan. The decision allows Toyota to produce an additional 50
2-9-12DetroitNews Bashara "I had no motive"
- Bashara denies murder motive, says he had 'good, open relationship' with wife | The
In a national interview aired this morning, Robert Bashara said he had no motive to kill Jane Bashara, his wife of 26 years.
2-9-12 FreePress Opinion--"A Persistent Prejudice Keeps This an Unwelcoming State" Jenny Oorbeck
- Guest commentary: A persistent prejudice keeps Michigan an unwelcoming state | Detroit Free Press |
I am a Michigan native who has lived in California for the past 15 years. I recently returned after being offered a job at a growing nonprofit to be closer to my aging parents and to give back and create positive change.I have found, however, that de
2-9-12FreePress Editorial--Supreme Court Decision Won't Erase Michigan's Anti-Gay Folly
- Editorial: Ruling won\'t erase Michigan\'s anti-gay folly | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
The good news for Michiganders who regard gay marriage as anathema is that nothing the federal judiciary is poised to do will likely disturb Michigan's own constitutional ban on such unions.
2-9-12NYTimes--"Boehner Vows to Fight Contraception Rule"
- Boehner Vows to Fight Contraception Rule - NYTimes.com
Boehner said House GOP will push to change the admin.’s rule that religious institutions must offer insurance plans that cover birth control. [Nothing in the Obama Admin. rule requires anyone to practice contraception. It violates no one's beliefs.]
2-9-12DetroitNews--"Rupert Murdoch's Company Settles 9 Lawsuits"
- Rupert Murdoch\'s company settles 9 lawsuits | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
London— All but one of the first wave of phone hacking cases against Rupert Murdoch's News International have been settled, victims' lawyer told Britain's High Court on Wednesday.
2-0-12DetroitNews--"Michigan Agrees to Foreclosure Settlement"
- Michigan agrees to foreclosure settlement | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
Checks for as much as $2,000 could be headed to Michigan residents who wrongly lost their homes to foreclosure between 2008 and 2011, Attorney General Bill Schuette announced Tuesday.
2-9-12DetroitNews--Moroun Out of Jail, Will Comply With Court Orders in Ambassador Bridge Gateway Dispute
- Matthew Moroun: Bridge Co. to follow court's orders in Gateway dispute | The Detroit News |
Matthew Moroun pledged today that the company will comply with the court's orders regarding the $230 million Gateway Project and noted construction already has started. Bridge company officials noted while there will be no resistance to the court's o
2-9-12 12:54pmFreePress--Police Search Bashara Home Second Time
- Police searching Bob Bashara\'s home in wake of wife\'s slaying | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Police returned to Bob Bashara’s home in Grosse Pointe Park today, searching the house as they reportedly investigate his wife’s slaying. It’s unclear what the investigators were looking for in the home Bob Bashara shared with his wife, Jane. A Stat
2-9-12NPR--Did Sanitorum Win Big or Win Squat?
- Did Santorum Win Big Or Win Squat? What\'s A Nation To Believe? : It\'s All Politics : NPR
The results of Missouri's "beauty contest" primary and caucuses in Minnesota and Colorado may be poor indicators of the sentiment of most Republicans and independents. Instead, they show the ardor of the fraction of voters who turned out — and the po
2-9-12NYTimes EDITORIAL--"A Ruling for Equal Rights"
- A Ruling for Equal Rights - NYTimes.com
A federal appeals court struck down California’s ban on same-sex marriage, bringing this nation a step closer to full equality and fairness.
1-9-12NYTimes--Goldman, On Both Sides of Deal is Now in Court
- Goldman, on Both Sides of a Deal, Is Now in Court - NYTimes.com
Goldman Sachs appears to have done nothing improper in advising Kinder Morgan and the El Paso Corporation in a deal, but it raises questions about how investment banks do business.
2-9-12FreePress--110 MPH Train to Chicago Approved
- Feds give Amtrak permission to speed up trains between Detroit, Chicago | Detroit Free Press | freep
Faster Amtrak service between Detroit and Chicago got a big boost with federal approval for passenger rail to travel at up to 110 m.p.h. on part of the route, officials said Tuesday. In fact, some passengers may have traveled that fast already withou
2-9-12NYTimes--Santorum Upsets GOP Race with Victories in Colorado, Minnesota and Missouri
- Santorum Upsets G.O.P. Race With Three Victories - NYTimes.com
Rick Santorum won the Minnesota and Colorado caucuses and a nonbinding primary in Missouri on Tuesday, raising fresh questions about Mitt Romney’s ability to corral conservative support.
2-9-12FreePress--Snyder Plan to Tie School Funding to Performance Bogged Down
- Rick Snyder\'s push to tie school funding to performance still needs a scale | Detroit Free Press |
Gov. Rick Snyder said in April that he would unveil in his next budget a plan to tie increased school funding to growth in student achievement. But as Snyder prepares to present his budget plan to the Legislature on Thursday, it wasn't clear he can s
2-8-12FreePress--Some Friends Call Bashara's Handyman a Naive Good Guy
- Self-professed murder accomplice in Bashara case is defended as a good but easily manipulated guy |
Many who know the self-proclaimed accomplice in the Jane Bashara murder investigation are springing to his defense, saying Joseph Gentz is a good guy who may have a learning disability and be easily manipulated. But others have told stories of aggres
2-8-12FreePress--A Hat Trick for Sanitorium
- Romney\'s bad day is Santorum\'s best in GOP race | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Republican Rick Santorum is looking to capitalize on a string of stunning victories that snapped his four-state losing streak and raised new questions about front-runner Mitt Romney's clout with conservatives.
2-7-12NYTimes--"Wages and Values" Paul Krugman
- Wages and Values - NYTimes.com
Follow the lack of money.
2-7-12FreePress--Mouron to Stay Out of Jail for Now
- Billionaire Manuel (Matty) Moroun, top aide to stay out of jail -- for now | Detroit Free Press | fr
Billionaire businessman Manuel (Matty) Moroun and a top aide will stay out of jail for now. But they may be going back soon. Their fate depends on whether Wayne County Circuit Judge Prentis Edwards can craft a reasonable rationale for their jailing t
2-7-12DetroitNews--UAW's Bob King to Serve on Opel's Supervisory Board
- UAW\'s Bob King to serve on Opel board | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
General Motors Co. will name United Auto Workers President Bob King to the supervisory board of its German subsidiary, Adam Opel AG, according to a source familiar with the situation.
2-7-12NYTimes--Court Strikes Down California's Ban on Gay Marriage
- Marriage Ban Violates Constitution, Court Rules - NYTimes.com
A federal appeals court panel ruled Tuesday that a voter-approved ban on gay marriage in California violated the Constitution, all but ensuring the case will proceed to the United States Supreme Court.
2-7-12DetroitNews "Hoekstra on Defense as He's Asked to Pull Ad"
- Hoekstra on defense as he's urged to pull ad | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
Former U.S. Rep. Pete Hoekstra launched his first major Senate campaign advertisement on the biggest stage possible. However, the day after his Super Bowl TV debut, the conversation centered not on a catchy political message, but on criticism the spo
2-7-12DetroitNews "Spending by ex-Ficano Aide Raises Eyebrows"
- Spending by ex-Ficano aide raises eyebrows | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
Michael Grundy billed more than $41,000 on restaurants, travel and other goods to a credit card of a county nonprofit he ran for three years, according to records obtained by The Detroit News.
1-7-12DetroitNews "Hoekstra's Ad Lacks Smarts" Laura Berman
- Hoekstra ad lacks smarts | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
With his controversial new Super Bowl commercial and website, Pete Hoekstra seems to think he's got the advertising instincts and guts of Chrysler's Sergio Marchionne.
1-7-12DetroitNews--Gentz's Brother Gets into the Act
- Brother of Gentz speaks out, says 'something happened' | The Detroit News | detroitn
In a national television interview, the brother of handyman Joe Gentz said he was convinced that his brother is somehow connected in last month's strangulation death of Jane Bashara.
1-7-12NYTimes "Company Faces Forgery Charges in Missouri Home Foreclosures"
- DocX Faces Foreclosure Fraud Charges in Missouri - NYTimes.com
The charges against DocX, which provided home foreclosure services to lenders across the nation, are one of the few criminal actions to follow reports of widespread improprieties against homeowners.
2-7-12NYTimes OP-ED "The Poisoned Politics of Keystone" Joe Nocera
- The Poisoned Politics of Keystone XL - NYTimes.com
Canada moves on to China after getting the cold shoulder from the United States.
2-6-12NYTimes OP-ED "Things Are Not O.K." Paul Krugman
- Things Are Not O.K. - NYTimes.com
The unemployment report was genuinely good, but there’s a downside: the calls to stop focusing on job creation.
2-10-12NYTimes--When Cars Meet Politics the Clock is Running--Commentary on Clint Eastwood Superbowl Commercial
- How Clint Eastwood’s Chrysler Ad Stirred Politics - Common Sense - NYTimes.com
The combination of a strong jobs report and an inspirational Chrysler commercial at the Super Bowl seems to have touched some raw nerves.
Clint Eastwood's "It's Half-time in America" Superbowl Ad
Here's a better Super Bowl Ad than Hoekstra's--Fiat 500 Abarth
2-6-12FreePress--Appeals Court: Moroun Jailing Proper, but Judge Must Fine Tune the Details
- Detroit Free Press | Detroit news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving D
Detroit Michigan News - freep.com is the home page of Detroit Michigan with in depth and updated Detroit local news. Stay informed with both Detroit Michigan news as well as headlines and stories from around the world.
2-6-12FreePressEDITORIAL Ask the Unemployed About Benefits Reform
- Editorial: Ask the unemployed about benefits reform | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Congress should not be trying to reform unemployment benefits on the fly. If the nation's system of jobless benefits needs work, and that's an arguable proposition from the get-go, Congress should hold hearings -- and get suggestions from those who a
2-5-12FreePress--Who Killed Jane Bashara?
- What happened to Jane Bashara? | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Here is a time line of key events in the Jane Bashara murder, based on interviews with Bob Bashara and police. 7 a.m.: Jane Bashara leaves for work at Kema Services, an energy consulting firm in Detroit. 4:30 p.m.: Bob Bashara returns to family home
Hard Luck Lounge (now closed)
2-5-12FreePress--Attorney Appointed for Joseph Gentz in Jane Bashara Case
- Attorney appointed for Joseph Gentz in Jane Bashara case | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Detroit defense attorney Susan Reed has been appointed to represent Joseph Gentz, who has told investigators he killed Jane Bashara of Grosse Pointe Park. Her husband, Bob Bashara, has been the only person labeled by police as a person of interest in
2-7-12FreePress "Hoekstra Ad Shortchanges Audience and Candidates" Stephen Henderson
- Stephen Henderson: Hoekstra ad shortchanges audience, candidate alike | Detroit Free Press | freep.c
Pete Hoekstra's first big campaign commercial not only indulged an offensive ethnic caricature but also failed spectacularly to reflect who Hoekstra really is, and what his strength is in the campaign.
2-5-12Politico-Hoekstra's Super Bowl Ad
- Super Bowl ads: Pete Hoekstra\'s hits a nerve - Tim Mak - POLITICO.com
The racially charged spot includes an Asian actress speaking in broken English.
2-5-12NYTimes"In Afghan War, Officer Becomes Whistle Blower"
- Army Colonel Challenges Pentagon’s Afghanistan Reports - NYTimes.com
After two deployments in Afghanistan, Lt. Col. Daniel L. Davis says the Pentagon is not telling the whole truth about how the war there is going.
1-5-12NYTimes EDITORIAL "Politics and the Supreme Court"
- Politics and the Supreme Court - NYTimes.com
Three major legal cases may influence the 2012 election, but the cases also illustrate how politics shape the Supreme Court.
2-5-12NYTimes OP-ED "Facebook is Using You" Lori Andrews
- Facebook Is Using You - NYTimes.com
Whether you can obtain a job, credit or insurance can be based on your digital doppelgänger — and you may never know why you’ve been turned down.
2-5-12NYTimes OP-ED "Should Personal Data Be Personal?" Someni Sengupta
- Europe Moves to Protect Online Privacy - NYTimes.com
How do different nations’ laws manage the multinational companies that now govern our digital lives?
2-5-12NYTimes--"Four Candidates Walk into a Bar"
- GOP Campaign Comedians
Rick Santorum often looks as if he has a headache. Both Mr. Gingrich’s and Mr. Santorum’s laugh lines tend more to the caustic than the funny.
1-5-12FreePress--Hoekstra Super Bowl Ad Hits Senator "Spenditnow"
- Hoekstra Super Bowl ad hits Sen. \'Spenditnow\' | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
U.S. Senate candidate Pete Hoekstra's Super Bowl ad uses images of rice paddies and talk of government overspending to accuse Democratic incumbent Debbie Stabenow of helping China gobble up U.S. debt and jobs.
2-5-12FreePress EDITORIAL "Time Running Out for Ficano to Speak Up"
- Editorial: Patience is wearing out for Ficano to speak up | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Just because the public generally tolerates a spoils system in politics doesn't mean it's right. And Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano is testing the limits of the electorate's patience when he or his lieutenants put the arm on employees Ficano ap
2-5-12FreePress--Public Payroll Fuels Ficano Political Machine
- Public payroll fuels Ficano political machine | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano's political operatives pressured Ficano appointees to buy and sell tickets to his fund-raisers and spend their free time working for a campaign machine that has raised more than $600,000 from county employees sinc
2-5-12FreePress Bashara--"I had nothing to do with my wife's death."
- Bob Bashara: I had nothing to do with wife\'s death | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Anguish and loneliness are still with Bob Bashara almost two weeks after his wife, Jane, was found dead. But he said the tears are nearly gone. 'I don't know if I can cry anymore,' Bashara said.
2-5-12NYTimes--"A Tornado Warning, Unheeded" Gretchen Morgenson
- Mortgage Tornado Warning, Unheeded - NYTimes.com
Inspired by a personal experience, a businessman delved into practices of the mortgage industry, including Fannie Mae. His findings have been prescient. Loan-servicing companies that worked for Fannie Mae routinely filed false foreclosure documents..
2-5-12NYTimes--Banc of America Securities' Shell Game Gretchen Morgenson
- An Investment Wipeout That Didn’t Have to Happen - NYTimes.com
An investor won an arbitration case over money lost in a complex security. But he’s still angry at financial institutions.
10pm 2-4-12NYTimes--Romney Cruises to Big Win in Nevada Caucuses
- Nevada Republican Caucus Results - Live Results - Election 2012 - NYTimes.com
Big win for Romney in Nevada. Gingrich is dead meat!
2-4-12NYTimes "Early Nevada Returns Favor Romney"
- Romney Hoping for Repeat Performance in Nevada - NYTimes.com
If the results stand through the night, they would further deflate the once-vital challenge posed by Newt Gingrich.
2-4-12NYTimes--Nevada Caucus Early Returns: 1. Romney 37.8%, 2. Paul 27.7%. 3. Gingrich 21.6% 4. Santorum 12.9%
- Nevada Republican Caucuses - Election Results - Election 2012 - NYTimes.com
Nevada Republican Caucuses: Latest election results, polls and updates for the 2012 presidential election.
2-4-12NYTimes--3-Year High for Dow As Wall Street Cheers Data
- U.S. Jobs Report Gives Stocks a Lift - NYTimes.com
The Dow industrials closed at the highest point since 2008, and the Nasdaq composite regained a level last seen in 2000.
2-4-12NYTimes EDITORIAL "Trading Threats with Iran"
- Trading Threats With Iran - NYTimes.com
Tehran’s nuclear ambitions are real and dangerous, but a military attack would backfire. Tough sanctions and a united diplomatic front are best.
2-4-12NYTimes--Tea Party Conspiracy Loonies Fight Green Projects
- Activists Fight Green Projects, Seeing U.N. Plot - NYTimes.com
Suspicious of government initiatives, protesters linked to the Tea Party are denouncing all manner of measures they equate with a 1992 United Nations resolution, Agenda 21.
2-4-12NYTimes EDITORIAL "Reining in College Tuition"
- Reining In College Tuition - NYTimes.com
When a college education is critical in today’s economy, a national discussion on how to make public institutions more affordable is long overdue.
2-4-12NYTimes OP-ED "Romney, the Rich, and the Rest" Charles Blow
- Romney, the Rich and the Rest - NYTimes.com
Mitt Romney said that he was concerned about “middle-income Americans.” He certainly has a funny way of showing it.
2-4-12NYTimes "YOUR MONEY" Car Insurance Policy for Less, But Only if You Call
- Want Better Car Insurance Rates? You Have to Make the Call - Your Money - NYTimes.com
A retiree qualified for lower car insurance premiums, but found that out only after a chance piece of mail prodded him to call his insurer.
2-4-12NYTimes--Gingrich's Deep Ties to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac
- Gingrich’s Deep Ties to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac - NYTimes.com
Newt Gingrich’s record as speaker shows that his ties to Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae run deeper and farther back than he has acknowledged.
2-4-12FreePress--Jane Bashara's Family Seeks Protection
- Jane Bashara\'s family seeks protection after release of man who says he killed her | Detroit Free P
The man who told police he killed Jane Bashara at the behest of her husband was released from custody Friday afternoon -- and the Bashara family says it wants protection from him.
2-4-12FreePress--FICANO--"We've had Missteps, but We'll Fix Them"
- Robert Ficano: We\'ve had missteps, but we\'ll fix them | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Amid the firestorm that has engulfed his administration since last fall's severance pay scandal erupted, Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano is admitting to poor oversight and sloppy management but insists he has done nothing illegal or unethical an
2-3-12CommonDreams---Most Americans and Israelis Oppose War with Iran
- War on Iran? Most American, Israeli Citizens Oppose | Common Dreams
Despite the drumbeat for war from US and Israeli neocons, polls show that the people of both the US and Israel are against a US or Israeli military attack on Iran. A new UT/National Journal poll shows only 17% of the US public supports military acti
2-3-12NYTimes--"But is the Jobs Number Real?" Floyd Norris
- Wow. But Is the Number Real? - NYTimes.com
This is a recovery led by the private sector. And while seasonal adjustments may have made January look better than it really was, job growth appears strong.
2-3-12 Tim Skubik's Take on Politics
- Tim Skubick Michigan Politics
, More from myfoxdetroit.com.
2-3-12NYTimes--Gingrich is a Gold Bug
- In Rise of Gold Bugs, History Repeats Itself - NYTimes.com
Newt Gingrich’s call for a commission to examine a return to the gold standard has a familiar ring. Ronald Reagan did the same more than 30 years ago.
2-3-12NYTimes--Romney Criticizes Afghan Pull Out Plan, but Obama is Eager for the Debate
- Obama Glad to Debate Romney on Afghanistan Pullout - NYTimes.com
President Obama seems happy to debate his Republican critics about an Afghanistan withdrawal timetable that is politically popular.
2-3-12NYTimes--House Republicans Think Small, Try to Repair Their Dismal Public Image
- To Fix Image, Republicans in House Think Small - NYTimes.com
Unpopular and divided, the once mighty House Republicans are laboring to repair their image and frame a new agenda.
1-3-11NYTimes--Komen Cancer Foundation Backs Down on Cutting Off Planned Parenthood
- Komen Foundation, Cancer Group, Backs Down on Cutting Off Planned Parenthood - NYTimes.com
The Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation reversed its decision to cut financing for breast cancer screenings at Planned Parenthood affiliates and apologized to the American people for what it said was casting doubt on its "commitment to our mission
2-3-12NYTimes "Stagnant Job Growth Expected"
- What's at Stake in Friday's Jobs Report - NYTimes.com
The economic pie is growing, but the share going to American workers is at an all-time low. Friday's jobs report will help determine whether American workers will finally start getting a bigger cut.
2-3-12NYTimes EDITORIAL--"A Painful Betrayal" by Komen Foundation
- A Painful Betrayal - NYTimes.com
The Susan G. Komen foundation has lent its pink ribbon to an anti-abortion campaign by cutting off financing for breast cancer screenings done by Planned Parenthood.
2-3-12NYTimes OP-ED--"Romney isn't Concerned" Paul Krugman
- Romney Isn’t Concerned - NYTimes.com
Mitt Romney has said that his comments about not caring about the very poor were taken out of context. But the more context you give them, the worse it gets.
2-3-12NYTimes--SEC Avoiding Tough Sanctions for Big New York Banksters
- NY Times Advertisement
By granting exemptions to laws and regulations that act as a deterrent to securities fraud, the S.E.C. has let financial giants like JPMorganChase, Goldman Sachs and Bank of America continue to have advantages reserved for the most dependable compani
2-3-12NYTimes--Unemployment at 3-Year Low--8.3%
- U.S. Economy Added 243,000 Jobs in January - Unemployment Rate Is 8.3% - NYTimes.com
The United States economy gained momentum in January, adding 243,000 jobs, the second straight month of better-than- expected gains, the Labor Department reported.
2-3-12FreePress--Hoekstra Takes Page From Snyder Playbook with Superbowl Ads
- Hoekstra takes page from Snyder playbook with Super Sunday ads | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Rick Snyder introduced himself to Michigan with a 2010 Super Bowl Sunday ad, 'One Tough Nerd.' Now he's Michigan's governor. Will the same strategy work for U.S. Senate candidate Pete Hoekstra?
2-3-12FreePress--Romney Super Pac Fund Gets Big Contributions from Farmington Foreclosure Law Firm, Trott and Trott PC--
- Pro-Romney PAC gets cash from Farmington Hills firm that aids Fannie, Freddie in foreclosures | Detr
A Farmington Hills law firm that represents mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac in foreclosure and eviction cases has contributed $200,000 to a super PAC supporting Republican Mitt Romney for president.
2-3-11FreePress--Michigan Dems, Watchdog Group, Seek More Transparent Government
- Michigan Democrats, watchdog group seek more transparent state government | Detroit Free Press | fre
House Democrats unveiled an ethics reform plan Thursday as a citizen watchdog group, Common Cause Michigan, launched a new website to press for more state government transparency.
2-3-12FreePress--Deal With Unions May Not be Enough to Forestall State Takeover of Detroit
- Tentative deal with unions may not be enough to stop state takeover of Detroit | Detroit Free Press
Detroit Mayor Dave Bing and union leaders expressed confidence Thursday that the three-year tentative labor contract reached late Wednesday with more than half the city's unions would ward off insolvency and a state-appointed emergency manager.
2-3-12FreePress--Lab Tests Could Shed Light on Grosse Pointe Murder Mystery
- Lab tests could shed light on Grosse Pointe Park killing | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
As investigators work to untangle a web of conflicting information and accusations surrounding the killing of a Grosse Pointe Park mother, they're awaiting evidence submitted to the State Police crime lab that could help untangle the mystery.
2-2-12FoxNews (Fair and Honest) Bobbob Bashara's S&M Sex Dungeon on Mack Avenue
- \'Sex Dungeon\' at One of Bob Bashara\'s Properties?
More from myfoxdetroit.com. [Not the most credible source.]
2-2-12NYTimes--Bloomberg to the Rescue of Planned Parenthood to the Tune of a $250,000 Matching Grant
- Bloomberg Donating to Planned Parenthood After Komen Cuts - NYTimes.com
Mr. Bloomberg, a billionaire with a long-term interest in public health, said he would give Planned Parenthood Federation of America a $250,000 matching gift which will help Planned Parenthood make up for the cut by the Komen Foundation.
Swift Boating is Back
In 2004, Chris LaCivita -- a Virginia political operative and close ally of George Allen -- organized the most destructive and personal attack in political history. The deceitful "Swiftboat Veterans for Truth” ads had nothing to do with the truth, and everything to do with the Republican politics of smear and fear.
Guess what? He's back. This year, LaCivita has set his sights on Governor Tim Kaine, telling the Associated Press that he has a strategy that “gives the dark attack ads that are now a staple of American politics the venom that makes them work.” Then LaCivita went even further -- boasting that his ads will be Kaine’s “Willie Horton.”
I know firsthand how important it is to have the financial resources to take on LaCivita’s venomous attacks -- and respond to them immediately and forcefully.
It's too late to respond when the damage has already been done.
That’s why I’m asking you to make a contribution now and ensure that Tim Kaine has the support to shut down LaCivita before he even gets started. Can you help him today?
The first public poll of 2012 shows Tim Kaine and George Allen tied at 46%. We know that this one is going to be tight until the very end.
George Allen has The Cavalry -- led by his friends Karl Rove and Chris LaCivita -- and they’re getting desperate. We know they’re going to spend millions distorting the truth and attacking Tim Kaine. But with your help, we can stop them in their tracks.
Virginia has always valued Tim Kaine’s character -- he doesn't seek to perfect the politics of "Swiftboating," he seeks to end it. But first, he needs to beat back everything that LaCivita is prepared to throw at him.
Join me in supporting Tim Kaine. He needs our support to have the resources to communicate his positive message and crush the attacks that George’s Cavalry is lining up. Please make a gift now.
Look -- forewarned is forearmed -- we know what LaCivita is capable of, we know his playbook, and in this race, we can all help Tim Kaine put an end to that kind of politics in Virginia.
2-2-12FreePress--State to Announce Which Detroit Schools to Be Closed, Transferred on February 9
- State to announce which Detroit schools to be closed, transferred on Feb. 9 | Detroit Free Press | f
State officials on Wednesday announced timelines for naming the Detroit Public Schools that will be closed or transferred to the new statewide school system for low-performing schools by the fall.
2-2-12FreePress--Moroun, Stamper Get Hope in Bid to Stay Out of Jail
- Moroun, Stamper get hope in bid to stay out of jail | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Two of the three judges on a Michigan Court of Appeals panel said they were troubled by what appeared to be the open-ended nature of incarceration ordered for the Ambassador Bridge company officials last month by Wayne County Circuit Judge Prentis Ed
2-2-11FreePress--"Lawyer: Bashara Passed Second Polygraph Test"
1-2-12FreePress--"Man Says He Was Paid to Kill Jane Bashara"
- Detroit Free Press | Detroit news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving D
Detroit Michigan News - freep.com is the home page of Detroit Michigan with in depth and updated Detroit local news. Stay informed with both Detroit Michigan news as well as headlines and stories from around the world.
2-2-12FreePress--Billionaire Bridge Troll Back in Court
- Bridge owner goes before appeals court | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Having spent one night in jail, billionaire Manuel (Matty) Moroun and his top aide may learn this week whether they'll return to jail for civil contempt related to the long-delayed $230-million Gateway Project at the Ambassador Bridge.
2-2-12NYTimes--Secrecy Shrouds SuperPacs
- ‘Super PAC’ Filings Show Power and Secrecy - NYTimes.com
Newly disclosed details of the millions of dollars flowing into political groups highlight not just the scale of donations from corporation and unions but also the secrecy surrounding “super PACs.”
2-2-12NYTimes Op-Ed "Mitt Speaks, Oh No!" Susan Collins
- Mitt Speaks. Oh, No! - NYTimes.com
Did you hear? Mitt Romney said he doesn’t care about poor people. Really, he did. Let’s break this down.
2-2-12NYTimes OP-ED "Do-it-Yourself Deportation" Antonio Alarcon
- Do-It-Yourself Deportation - NYTimes.com
Undocumented immigrants like me hope that there will be comprehensive immigration reform, with a path to citizenship for people who have spent years living and working here.
2-2-12NYTimes EDITORIAL "The Darkening Tone of the GOP Primaries"
- The Darkening Tone of the Primaries - NYTimes.com
Mitt Romney drew the wrong lesson from a callous and mean-spirited Florida campaign.
2-2-12NYTimes "From Founders to Decorators, Facebook Riches"
- For Founders to Decorators, Facebook Riches - NYTimes.com
Facebook’s public offering will make a lot of billionaires and millionaires, some of them prominent people and others not.
2-2-12FreePress--Four Way Battle Among Dems in 14th Congressional District
- 4-way battle in 14th Congressional District expected to be expensive | Detroit Free Press | freep.co
The race for the new 14th Congressional District seat that stretches from southwest Detroit through the Grosse Pointes and all the way to Pontiac is shaping up as the most competitive -- and expensive -- race in the state.
2-2-12NYTimes "Where are the Romney Republicans?" Nicholas Kristof
- Where Are the Romney Republicans? - NYTimes.com
The Republican Party used to be known for its moderate pragmatists. Then the party forced moderates like Mitt Romney to feign extremism just to compete.
2-2-12NYTimes--"Hacking Scandal Widens to Times of London"
- Hacking Inquiry Widens to Times of London - NYTimes.com
The hacking scandal at Rupert Murdoch’s British newspapers widened on Thursday when a lawmaker said police investigations had spread to the flagship Times of London.
2-1-12NYTimes--Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels Signs Right-to-Work Bill
- Indiana Becomes ‘Right to Work’ State - NYTimes.com
The state becomes the 23rd in the nation to bar union contracts from requiring non-union members to pay representation fees.
2-1-12NYTimes--Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation is Pressuring American Airlines not to Dump its Pension Plans on the U.S. Pension Agency
- U.S. Pension Agency Pressures American Airlines - NYTimes.com
The Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation filed liens of $91 million against some assets of American Airlines’ parent company, which is operating under bankruptcy court protection.
2-1-12NYTimes EDITORIAL "Making it Worse in Europe"
- Making It Worse in Europe - NYTimes.com
European Union leaders agreed to sign a new measure to enforce fiscal austerity and restrict stimulus, which could be a dangerous approach.
2-1-12NYTimes--Credit Swisse Banksters Charged with Criminally Defrauding Investors in Mortgage Securities
- Ex-Traders at Credit Suisse Expected to Be Charged With Fraud - NYTimes.com
Prosecutors are said to be preparing criminal charges against former Credit Suisse trading, accusing them of defrauding investors by mispricing mortgage securities.
2-1-12NYTimes, Former Goldman Sachs Director Faces Additional Insider Trading Charges
- Gupta Faces New Charges in Insider Trading Case - NYTimes.com
The government contends that Rajat K. Gupta called in to a Goldman Sachs board meeting in 2007 and, minutes later, leaked Raj Rajaratnam secret information about the bank.
2-1-12DetroitNews--Amtrak Train Derails Near Jackson En Route to Chicago
- Amtrak train crashes near Jackson | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
An Amtrak train heading from Pontiac to Chicago derailed this morning in Jackson County, according to preliminary reports. The train struck a tractor-trailer truck n Leoni Township.
2-1-12FreePress--Michigan Lawmakers Take In $5 Million in Campaign Donations
- Michigan lawmakers take in more than $5 million in campaign donations in 2011 | Detroit Free Press |
LANSING – Michigan lawmakers collectively took in $5.2 million in campaign donations in 2011 – an average of about $35,000 per lawmaker in a non-election year. The top fund-raiser was Sen. Roger Kahn, R-Saginaw Township, the appropriations chairman..
2-1-12FreePress--Morouns Big Donors in Bridge Battle
- Morouns are big political donors as they fight public bridge | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
There were no major elections in 2011, but the Moroun family didn't take its foot off the political giving gas as it fought plans for a public bridge across the Detroit River, campaign finance reports show.
2-1-12NYTimes OP-ED "Who's Tough Enough? Mitt or Barry?" Maureen Dowd
- Who’s Tough Enough? - NYTimes.com
Can backbone propel you to the front? Team Mitt and Team Barry compete on spine spin.
2-1-12NYTimes OP-ED "Gingrich 2012? Going. Going. Gone" Ross Douthat
- Gingrich 2012? Going, Going, Gone - NYTimes.com
If Gingrich was ever a plausible candidate, he certainly isn't anymore.
2-1-12NYTimes--A Glimpse into Rupert Murdoch's Beady Mind
- Twitter Gives Glimpse Into Rupert Murdoch’s Mind - NYTimes.com
While many modern executives live behind a wall of communications operatives, Rupert Murdoch, the chief of News Corporation, is openly expressing his opinions on Twitter.
2-1-12NYTimes--One Percenters and Corporations are Showering Campaign Cash on Romney
- Campaign Finance Reports Show ‘Super PAC’ Donors - NYTimes.com
The latest campaign filings showed a crucial source of support for Mitt Romney, as well as his ability to win substantial support from some of the Republican Party’s most influential and wealthy patrons.
2-1-12NYTimes EDITORIAL--"Turning the 'Buffett Rule' Into Law"
- Turning the ‘Buffett Rule’ Into Law - NYTimes.com
Legislation that would require millionaires to pay at least 30 percent of their income in taxes is a good start toward fairness.
2-1-12FreePress--Investigation Heats Up in Jane Bashara Murder Case
- Probe heats up in Jane Bashara slaying; possible accomplice in killing is questioned | Detroit Free
The investigation into the mysterious death of a Grosse Pointe Park woman intensified Tuesday as police interrogated a possible accomplice who said he was there when Jane Bashara was strangled in her home, a source familiar with the investigation tol
2-1-12FreePress--Brooks Patterson Snubs Oakland County Dems
- Not everyone invited to hear Oakland County\'s State of the County address | Detroit Free Press | fr
Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson has conspicuously left 10 people off the guest list for his State of Oakland County affair.
2-1-12FreePress--Bob Lutz Takes Limbaugh, Dobbs, O'Reilly and Other Knee-jerks to the Woodshed for Criticizing Chevy Volt Investigation
- Lutz lashes out at critics of Volt probe | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Leave it to Bob Lutz to say what his former employer can't. The retired General Motors vice chairman this week used a blog post to lambaste a few fellow conservatives for their treatment of the investigation into post-crash-test fires in two Chevrole
2-1-12FreePress--Graphic on Keeping the Carp Out of the Great Lakes
- Graphic: Proposals to protect the Great Lakes from Asian carp | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
A new study on closing Chicago-area canals to keep Asian carp and other invasive species from moving between the Great Lakes and Mississippi River basins shows these three alternatives.
2-1-12FreePress EDITORIAL--Time to be More Aggressive About Asian Carp
- Editorial: Time to be more aggressive in war on invasive carp | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
The Great Lakes Commission and its allies have performed a huge service by identifying several viable engineering solutions to close off the so-called carp highway between the Great Lakes and the Mississippi River water basins.
2-1-12FreePress--Chrysler Earns $183 Million, First Annual Profit Since 2005
- Chrysler earns $183 million for 2011, first annual profit since 2005 | Detroit Free Press | freep.co
Chrysler said today that it earned a profit of $183 million in 2011, its first full-year profit since 2005, and an important milestone in its comeback from a 2009 bankruptcy restructuring.
Here's a Link To "What's New:" January 2012
- What's New in Michigan Politics January 2012
What's New in Michigan Politics provides news and commentary on Michigan politics and national political and economic news of importance to Michigan.
More by this Author
It was what Elvis believed, it was what his music had stood for from the start: the breakdown of barriers, both musical and racial. This is not, unfortunately, how it is always perceived 30 years after his death.
The best approach to improving motor vehicle fuel economy may be to apply a ehicle weight tax. This tax could be tapered in over a 5 to 10 year period with the effect of roughly equalizing the fuel cost per mile in the...
Staph Infections Patients who have sores that will not heal or that are filled with pus should see a doctor and ask to be tested for staph infection. They should not squeeze the sore or try to drain it--that can spread...