What's New in Michigan and National Politics April 2012
What's New in Michigan and U.S. Politics
What's New in Michigan Politics provides news and informed commentary on Michigan politics and important national political and economic news.
Ordering a Pizza
4-30-12NYTimes--Who is Paul Ryan?
- Paul Ryan’s Kinetic Rise in G.O.P. - NYTimes.com
Representative Paul D. Ryan, the Republican Party’s de facto head of economic policy, may be one of its most important figures outside of Mitt Romney.
4-30-12NYTimes--Hacking Scandal Hems in Rupert Murdoch's Empire
- Hacking Scandal Starts to Hem In Rupert Murdoch’s Empire - NYTimes.com
The phone-hacking scandal in Britain is taking a toll on Rupert Murdoch’s broader holdings, prompting worry at News Corporation that years of business dealings could draw new attention.
4-30-12NYTimes Op-ED--"Wasting Our Minds" Paul Krugman
- Wasting Our Minds - NYTimes.com
Young people, even with a college degree, are entering an economy that just doesn’t seem to want them.
4-30-12NYTimes--Former Israeli Premier Assails Netanyahu on Iran
- Ehud Olmert Assails Netanyahu on Iran
Ehud Olmert, the former prime minister of Israel, plunged on Sunday into the country’s growing debate over Iran policy with harsh criticism of his successor, Benjamin Netanyahu.
4-30-12FreePress--SuperPaks in Michigan
- Super PACs have yet to take off in Michigan politics | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Two years after they were made legal by a U.S. Supreme Court ruling, super political action committees that can raise and spend unlimited amounts of money are playing an important role in the 2012 presidential race. Although a dozen super PACs have b
4-30-12NYTimes--Experts Believe Iran Strike Less Likely
- Chances of Iran Strike Receding, U.S. Officials Say - NYTimes.com
With the revival of talks — which went unexpectedly well — and domestic differences arising in Israel, the odds of imminent conflict have decreased, experts and American officials say.
4-30-12FreePress--Where did Ficano's Cash Go??
- Where did Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano's campaign cash go? | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Come along in this exclusive new video as Free Press reporters M.L. Elrick and John Wisely crisscross metro Detroit with photographer Brian Kaufman, seeking out companies that received hundreds of thousands of dollars from Ficano's "campaign" funds.
4-29-12NYTimes OP-ED "Austerity is No Quick Answer for Europe" Christina Romer
- Austerity Is No Quick Answer for Europe - Economic View - NYTimes.com
The core of a sensible approach to Europe’s is to pass needed budget measures now, but to phase in actual tax increases and spending cuts gradually — as economies recover.
4-29-12NYTimesMagazine--"Earth to Ben Bernanke" by Paul Krugman
- Earth to Ben Bernanke by Paul Krugman
Chairman Bernanke Should Listen to Prof. Bernanke. When the financial crisis struck in 2008, many economists took comfort in one aspect of the situation: the best possible person, Ben Bernanke, was in place as chairman of the Federal Reserve.
4-29-12NYTimesSundayObserver--"The Human Cost of 'Zero Tolerance'" Brent Staples
- The Cost of ‘Zero Tolerance’ - NYTimes.com
New York City’s overzealous arrests and flawed record-keeping are placing families, homes and jobs at risk.
4-29-12NYTimes EDITORIAL "A Cozy Deal" [for BIG PHARMA]
- Cozy Deal - NYTimes.com
Is medical regulation weakened when companies that make drugs and medical devices pay “user fees”?
4-29-12NYTimes EDITORIAL "A Senator Fights Back" [against the "forces of evil"]
- A Senator Fights Back - NYTimes.com
Claire McCaskill, Democrat of Missouri, challenges outside political ads, but it will be an uphill fight. Republican interest groups are outspending her by 3 to 1.
4-29-12FreePress--Closing in on Ficano's Wayne County Political Machine
- Taxpayers paid for 3 workers to raise cash for Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano, Free Press inve
Three top aides to Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano devoted much of their county work time to raising money for Ficano's political and nonprofit operations, with more than $500,000 they generated going to companies connected to families or friend
- Political Animal - Romney advises broke, about-to-be-unemployed college students: just borrow money
Mitt Romney--a surpassingly perfect villain for our times, he appears to come straight from central casting as the slick, shifty-eyed C.E.O. who’s fixing to downsize your ass — and implement his evil scheme for world domination while he’s at it.
4-28-12NYTimes--Retired Israeli Security Chief Calls Netahyahu and Ehud Barak "Messianic" on Iran
- Retired Israeli Security Chief Questions Leaders on Iran - NYTimes.com
Yuval Diskin, the retired chief of the internal security agency, said Friday night that he lacked faith in Israel’s current leadership’s handling of Iran’s nuclear threat.
4-27-12Michigan Chronicle Online
4-28-12NYTimes Op-ED "God and Man in Tennessee" by Amy Greene
- God and Man in Tennessee - NYTimes.com
By politicizing our faith, lawmakers are ignoring Tennessee’s true religious roots and threatening the liberties they claim to protect. ["Intelligent" design and "gateway sexual behavior" in the Tennessee legislature.]
4-28-12NYTimes OP-ED "A Very Pricey Pineapple" Gail Collins
- A Very Pricey Pineapple--Gail Collins op-ed on Privatizing Public Education
We have turned school testing into a huge corporate profit center, led by Pearson, for whom $32 million is actually pretty small potatoes. Pearson has a five-year testing contract with Texas that’s costing the state taxpayers nearly half-a-billion $.
4-28-12NYTimes EDITORIAL "The Myth of Deterrance"
- The Myth of Deterrence - NYTimes.com
Supporters of the death penalty claim that it deters potential murderers, but there is no research to show that, scholars now say.
4-28-12NYTimes--Police Chiefs Focus on Gun Violence Disparities
- Police Chiefs Focus on Disparities in Gun Violence - NYTimes.com
A survey of crimes in six cities over a seven-day period in April 2011 was the focus of a meeting attended by about 250 police chiefs from around the country.
4-28-12FreePress--Ford 1Q Profit Falls 46% to $1.4 billion
- Ford's 1Q profit falls 46% to $1.4 billion | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Ford made more than a dollar in profit for every $9 in revenue in North America during the first quarter in a strong performance that surprised analysts but failed to assuage concerns about a prolonged downturn in Europe.
4-28-12FreePress--Michigan Supreme Court Gets One Right for a Change--Moroun Gateway Appeal Rejected
- Michigan Supreme Court rejects Ambassador Bridge owners' appeal on Gateway Project | Detroit Free Pr
The Michigan Supreme Court has rejected an appeal by the owners of the Ambassador Bridge to regain control of the disputed Gateway Project at the bridge.
4-27-12NYTimesEDITORIAL "Open the Broadcasters' Books" on political advertising
- Opening the Broadcasters’ Books - NYTimes.com
The public needs an online database to get a better picture of the unlimited money being spent on political ads on television.
4-27-12NYTimes Breaking News--U.S. Economic Growth Slows to 2.2% from 3% in Latest Quarter
- U.S. Economic Growth Slows to 2.2% Rate, Report Says - NYTimes.com
Gross domestic product grew at an annualized rate of 2.2 percent, easing from the prior quarter’s rate but maintaining what economists have called a “sustainable” pace of recovery.
4-27-12NYTimes--OP-ED "Death of a Fairy Tale" Paul Krugman
- "Death of a fairy tale" Paul Krugman
Critics warned that austerity in the face of depression would only make that depression worse. But the “austerians” insisted that the reverse would happen. Why? Confidence! “Confidence-inspiring policies will foster and not hamper recovery.
4-27-12FreePress--Tom Walsh--"Chrysler Soars 3 Years After Bankruptcy"
- Tom Walsh: Nearly 3 years after bankruptcy, Chrysler soars | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
When will Sergio Marchionne's gravity-defying Chrysler machine come careening back to Earth? Not anytime soon, judging by its first-quarter profit of $473 million, more than four times last year's number.
4-27-12DetroitNews--Ford Profits Down 45% in First Quarter, Sales up 9%
- Ford earnings down 45% in Q1; Sales up 9% | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
About half the decrease was due to a higher tax rate, with the remainder due to factors such as softening global markets and comparisons with a strong first quarter last year, the automaker's best since 1998.
4-27-12FreePress--Collection Agency Under Investigation Used by Henry Ford, Beaumont and St. John Providence Hospitals
- Collection agency used by three metro health systems under investigation | Detroit Free Press | free
A Chicago debt collection company with contracts at three large metro Detroit hospital systems is the focus of mounting investigations. Accretive Health was sued Thursday by Minnesota Attorney General Lori Swanson. The lawsuit charges that the compan
4-27-12FreePress--Big Bob Bashara's Alleged Lover Gets Personal Protective Order Against Him
- Bob Bashara's alleged former lover gets personal protection order | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
A woman who calls herself the former girlfriend of Bob Bashara -- the Grosse Pointe Park man whose wife was found strangled in January -- says in a written plea for a personal protection order that she is terrified of meeting the same fate.
4-27-12NYTimes--Study Hints at Greater Threat of Extreme Weather
- Study Hints at Greater Threat of Extreme Weather - NYTimes.com
New research suggests a faster water cycle over the oceans than previously believed, raising the possibility of more droughts and floods.
4-25-12NYTimes "Business for Germany, Austerity Elsewhere" Floyd Norris
- For Germany, Austerity Elsewhere in Europe Is a Harder Sell - NYTimes.com
The elections in France and the government’s collapse in the Netherlands should serve as warnings for Germany, which still insists on austerity elsewhere in the euro zone.
4-25-12DetroitNews--Stand Your Ground Laws Breed Shootings and Self-Defense Claims
- Stand your ground laws test self-defense limits
George Zimmerman persuaded the police not to charge him for killing unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin, but the prosecutor has accused him of murder. Soon, armed with unparalleled legal advantages, Zimmerman will get to ask a judge to find that the kill
4-26-12TheNation--Paul Ryan, a "Good Catholic" Claims his Budget which Slashes Benefits to the Poor Claims it Reflects "Catholic Teaching"
- Paul Ryan's Claim That His Budget Reflects Catholic Justice Teaching Is 'Nonsense&
As the Budget Committee chairman delivers a major address at a Catholic university, Jesuits say: "your budget appears to reflect the values of your favorite philosopher, Ayn Rand, rather than the Gospel of Jesus Christ."
4-26-12Informed Comment by U of Michigan Middle East Expert Juan Cole--Marco Rubio Wants Attack on Iran. Israeli Military Says No
- Rubio Calls for War on Iran, Syria-- as Israeli Army Rejects Strike | Informed Comment
GOP VP hopeful Marco Rubio on Wed. called for unilateral US military action against Syria & Iran and blamed President Obama for declining to send troops to Syria in the absence of a UN resolution authorizing force. (Romney is bellicose also.)
4-26-12NYTimes OP-ED "We Are Not Stupid!" Charles Blow
- We Are Not Stupid - NYTimes.com
Mitt Romney is trying to frame the election as an economic referendum, but there's a lot more to it than that. [True, Romney also wants us to keep troops in Afghanistan indefinitely, and seriously consider a preemptive strike on Iran.]
4-22-12NYTimes--WalMart Mexico Bribery Scandal Investigation Silenced by Top Corporation Officials
- At Wal-Mart in Mexico, a Bribe Inquiry Silenced - NYTimes.com
Confronted with evidence of widespread corruption in Mexico, top Wal-Mart executives focused more on damage control than on rooting out wrongdoing, an examination by The New York Times found.
4-26-12NYTimes--Morgan Stanley Bankster Pleads Guilty to Violation of Anti-Corruption Laws
- Ex-Morgan Stanley Executive Pleads Guilty to Violating Anticorruption Laws - NYTimes.com
A former high-ranking Morgan Stanley real estate executive in China pleaded guilty on Wednesday to violating federal anticorruption laws as the government continued to crack down on citizens who commit fraud and bribery abroad.
4-26-12NYTimes--Two Blue Dog House Democrats Who Opposed Obamacare Defeated in Pennsylvania Primary
- 2 House Democrats Defeated After Opposing Health Law - NYTimes.com
The defeat of two conservative Pennsylvania representatives, Jason Altmire and Tim Holden, by more liberal opponents foreshadows an even more polarized Congress next year.
4-26-12FreePress--EDITORIAL "House GOPs Rush Makes Immediate Insult to State Constitution"
- Editorial: House GOP's rush makes immediate insult to Michigan's Constitution | Detroit Free Press |
Two-thirds of 110 is 73. That was true when the Republicans who currently lead Michigan's House of Representatives were attending elementary school, and a check with several fourth graders of our acquaintance confirms it is still the case today.
4-25-12GrossePointePatch--Grosse Pointe Residents Object to Beaumont Hospital Expansion in Residential Area
- Residents Question Beaumont Hospital's Plans - Grosse Pointe, MI Patch
Several City of Grosse Pointe residents from the neighborhood surrounding Beaumont Hospital Grosse Pointe shared their frustration this week with city council and questioned why there was not City representation there.
4-25-12GrossePointePatch--Residents Object to Beaumont Hospital, Grosse Pointe, Expansion
I find it interesting the City of Grosse Pointe, in the past, has pointed to a 1971 State Supreme court decision which ties their hands in the case of hospital expansion and development, yet, NOW are saying they want to create a hospital zone. If this is the case, why has all the development that's occurred in the last 20 years been permitted? The hospital has already purchased and and replaced with parking lots all the residences on the City side of Cadieux.
I would not rely on the GP City council to do much to limit hospital expansion, their past record speaks for itself.
Thanks for your comment Tim,
Judith and I are facing the present danger of Notre Dame demolition for Beaumont
Parking lot expansion. This plan calls for two phases. The first wipes out the street side facing us , replacing those homes with a blank wall similar to the one facing you. The second wipes out our side-including our retirement home. This plan requires re-zoning. The GP City Council meets 4/23 to consider this Beaumont request.
You are absolutely right to suspect the GP appearance of objectivity in this matter.
Judith and I were at the same council meetings as you, back in the day, when
it caved to the far less formidable Bon Secours. "Didn't you know this was a done deal" said one council member--mocking your and our efforts to stop the madness.
This newish "non-profit" for profit hospital will ruin Judith and I, decrease the property tax base for GP, and continue the aesthetic decline of the neighborhood.
We attended the Beamont "information" meeting, which was simply a presentation of their plans and no acknowlegement of the affected neighborhood residents.
The presenter for Beaumont, a Mr. Swain, presented a paradigm, without realizing it,of "being in the bubble".
Swain left no fallacy of relevance or ambiguity unused in his paen to Beaumont plans
4-25-12MetroTimes--"GOP Party of Hate" Jack Lessenberry
- GOP: Party of hate - Columns - Detroit Metro Times
The problem is far deeper than Nugent. There are an alarming number of nasty and crazy right-wing nuts out there, many of whom can't tolerate an African-American president. They spew a torrent of lies and hate onto the Internet and the airwaves...
1-25-12NYTimes--Dirty Business--Debt Collectors Pursue Patients Inside Hospitals
- Debt Collectors Take Places Alongside Hospital Staffs - NYTimes.com
One of the United States’ largest medical debt-collection companies is under fire in Minnesota for placing employees in hospitals and demanding patients pay before receiving treatment, documents show.
4-25-12NYTimesEDITORIAL--"Subsidize Students, Not Tax Cuts"
- Subsidize Students, Not Tax Cuts - NYTimes.com
When many young people are struggling, House Republicans seem more interested in cutting taxes than they are in helping college students get an education.
4-25-12NYTimes--Rupert Takes the Stand in UK Hacking Hearing
- Rupert Murdoch Testifies at Leveson Inquiry in Britain - NYTimes.com
The News Corporation chief testified at an inquiry on Wednesday as e-mails pointed to ties between a lobbyist for his company and the office of Britain’s Culture Minister.
4-25-12FreePress--GM Bets Big on China Market
- GM 'very bullish' on Chinese market | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
It's better to be too aggressive investing in the world's largest car market than to play it safe and fail to meet surging demand, General Motors' top executive in China said Tuesday.
4-25-12FreePress--Ford Bond Rating Boosted to Investment Grade
- Ford rating boosted to investment grade | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
One of the three major credit-ratings agencies boosted Ford to investment grade on Tuesday, a key endorsement of the automaker's improved financial position despite a muddy outlook overseas. Fitch Ratings raised Ford's credit rating to BBB- from BB+,
4-25-12FreePress--Corruption in Romulus Police Department
- Discounted Subway sandwiches key to Romulus police corruption case | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
A confidential police informant took center stage in court on charges filed against former Romulus police chief, his wife and 5 officers. Prosecutors said the former chief also used $75,000 of drug forfeiture funds to buy a tanning salon for his wife
4-25-12FreePress--Peters Leads in 14th District Race for Congress
- So far, Peters ahead of rivals in diverse new congressional district | Detroit Free Press | freep.co
What had the makings of an epic battle between two congressmen is evolving into a one-sided race.
4-24-12NYTimes--"China Town" Redux--Water War in California
- San Diego Takes Water Fight Public - NYTimes.com
San Diego’s water agency has taken a fight over rates to the public, using the Internet to raise accusations against a consortium that provides water to 19 million people.
4-24-12NYTimesEDITORIAL--GOP's Callous Choice in the House--Preserve Military, Cut Welfare, Food Stamps, Medicaid
- Callous Choices in the House - NYTimes.com
Republicans are proposing to take tens of billions out of programs for the poorest Americans so as not to make cuts in the Pentagon budget.
4-24-12NYTimesOPINION Krugman: Austerity and Growth Again in Europe
- Austerity And Growth, Again (Wonkish) - NYTimes.com
Disaster, in a scatterplot.
4-34-12NYTimes--Call for Europe Growth Counters German Austerity
- Call for Growth Puts Pressure on German-Led Austerity - NYTimes.com
A euro zone strategy to cut deficits has come under increasing strain from slowing economies, gyrating financial markets and electoral setbacks.
4-24-12NYTimes--Social Security's Financial Outlook Worsens
- Financial Outlook Dims for Social Security - NYTimes.com
The Obama administration reported a significant deterioration in the financial outlook for Social Security, and that the financial condition of Medicare was stable but still unsustainable.
4-24-12FreePressEDITORIAL--"Referendum is Latest Moroun Ploy to Delay New Bridge"
- Editorial: Referendum is newest ploy to stall public bridge | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
The latest trick to emerge from the Detroit International Bridge Co.'s bag of stall tactics to maintain a monopoly and maximum profits at the Detroit border is a particularly odious plan to push for a statewide referendum that would require Michigan
4-24-12FreePress--Light Rail Group has Most of Required Money
- Woodward light-rail investors say most of the money to build is raised | Detroit Free Press | freep.
The private-sector group that wants to build a light-rail line on Woodward Avenue from downtown Detroit to New Center said Monday that it has raised most of the money it will need to build it -- and pledged to pay for the bulk of the cost of operatin
4-24-12FreePress--Bing's Budget Slashes $250 million, 2,500 Jobs
- Detroit financial crisis: Bing's budget slashes $250M spending, more than 2,500 jobs | Detroit Free
The City of Detroit's work force would be slashed by 25%, transportation and city lighting would be privatized and services to residents would be reduced.
4-25-12NYTimesOP-ED "I Hunt, but I Oppose the N.R.A."
- I Hunt, But I Oppose the N.R.A. - NYTimes.com
The overwhelming majority of gun owners do not belong to the National Rifle Association.
4-26-12MetroTimes--"Consent and Dissent" by Curt Guyette [What's wrong with Detroit and how it got there.]
- Consent and dissent - News & Views - Detroit Metro Times
Curt Guyette is arguably the finest public policy reporter in Michigan.
4-26-12MetroTimes--"McCarthyism Gone Wild" Jack Lessenberry
- McCarthyism gone wild - Columns - Detroit Metro Times
Jack Lessenberry regularly bats over .900, in my opinion.
4-21-12Truthout--Former ALEC Supporters find the Organization Toxic
- Supporters are bailing on ALEC
With thousands of consumers expressing their concerns about the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) to corporations across America, even former supporters of ALEC are feeling the heat, and some are rushing to distance themselves from the org
4-21-12FreePress--Bing: I had no choice on signing consent agreement
- Mayor Dave Bing says he was left with no choice on consent deal | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Reflecting on what will be a pivotal moment in the city of Detroit's history, Mayor Dave Bing said Friday he really didn't have a choice when it came to agreeing to a consent agreement with the state and had to sign off on the deal to avoid an emerge
4-21-12FreePress--Eric Holder to Speak at NAACP Fight for Freedom Dinner
4-21-12FreePress--Moroun Wants Statewide Vote on Bridge
- Ambassador owners plan to take bridge battle to November ballot | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
The owners of the Ambassador Bridge are hoping to take their fight to block Gov. Rick Snyder's proposed new Detroit-Windsor bridge to the November ballot. The Detroit International Bridge Co. said Friday that it is undertaking a drive for a statewide
4-20-12Truthout--Vermont Votes to Overturn Citizens United Decision of the U.S. Supreme Court
- Vermont Votes for a Constitutional Amendment to Overturn Citizens United Decision
The Vt Legislature became the 3rd in the nation to pass resolutions calling for a constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United v. F.E.C., the Supreme Court ruling allowing corporations to spend unlimited amts to influence federal elections.
4-18-12Birmingham-Bloomfield Eagle--Liquor Licenses Under Scrutiny in Birmingham Following Early Morning Gunfire on Old Woodward Avenue
- Liquor licenses under scrutiny in Birmingham | C & G Newspapers
BIRMINGHAM — Nearly a week after a gun was fired outside of South bar in downtown Birmingham, city officials announced the Birmingham Police Department has launched an investigation covering every establishment that serves liquor in the city.
4-10-12NYTimes--U.S. Investigates Goldman Executive for Insider Trading
- U.S. Investigates a Goldman Executive Over Insider Trading - NYTimes.com
Federal prosecutors in California are investigating whether a Goldman Sachs executive leaked confidential information about two publicly traded companies to Raj Rajaratnam, the convicted former hedge fund manager.
4-20-12NYTimes--Is the Economic Recovery Faltering?
- Fears Rise That Economic Recovery May Falter in the Spring - NYTimes.com
Global finance leaders are meeting in Washington to discuss oil prices, unemployment and other issues putting a cloud over the global economic picture.
4-20-12FreePress-Opinion--"Sloppy Law Snares Another Medical Pot User" Brian Dickerson
- Brian Dickerson: Sloppy law snags another medical pot user | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
One of this column's cardinal principles is that the people who make Michigan's laws should be held accountable when their work is substandard -- even when the lawmakers in question are the people themselves.
4-20-12NYTimesEDITORIAL "Money Rules in Washington Politics"
- Money Rules in Washington Politics - NYTimes.com
A big check still opens the doors to the White House and the Romney campaign. The candidate who wants to impress voters would put an end to the access offers.
4-11-12NYTimes--Florida Congressman Allen West Claims that there are 80 Communists in the Congress
- Allen West: There are 80 Communists in the U.S. House of Representatives
Calling 80 Democrats “socialists” is about as hard-hitting as calling them Europeans. But alleging that a substantial number of Congressmen are actually members of the Communist Party? Now that has shock value.
4-18-12FreePress--Detroit Jackass Ted Nugent Says Secret Service Let him off the Hook
- Ted Nugent says Secret Service let him off the hook over Obama remarks | Detroit Free Press | freep.
Secret Service personnel decided they needed to talk to Nugent, 63, after his remarks at last weekend’s NRA convention in St. Louis in which the longtime gun-rights and hunting activist and conservative said, “If Barack Obama becomes the president in
4-19-12FreePress--Michigan Jobless Rate Lowest Since '08 Driven by Auto Industry Recovery
- Michigan jobless rate hits '08 level; companies say they're ready to hire | Detroit Free Press | fre
The good economic news has been stacking up for Michigan. On Wednesday, the state reported that the unemployment rate fell to 8.5% for March, a level not seen since August 2008 and down 2 percentage points from a year ago. The jobless rate in metro D
A Little Change of Pace
4-18-12FreePress--Wings Face Elimination in Game 5
- Mitch Albom: Im-Pekka-ble performance has Red Wings facing elimination | Detroit Free Press | freep.
It was one of those movies where the heroes keep pulling out bigger and bigger guns, spraying bullets, launching missiles, firing rockets, until they finally stop and scratch their heads, because the monster doesn't have a dent.
4-18-12NYTimesEDITORIAL--Giant Gulf Oil Spill Two Years Later--Much Remains to be Done
- Giant Gulf Oil Spill
The healing from this extraordinary act of corporate carelessness is far from complete, and there is important work to be done to minimize the chances that such a disaster will happen again. Here are central issues that remain unresolved:
4-18-12NYTimes--Citigroup Shareholders Reject Rich Executive Pay Plan
- Citigroup Shareholders Reject Executive Pay Plan - NYTimes.com
Citigroup's shareholders voted down an endorsement of the bank's plan to award its chief executive, Vikram Pandit, $15 million in compensation, in a show of frustration about Wall Street pay.
4-18-12FreePress--Detroit Council Balks at Pay for Turnaround Leaders
- Detroit City Council members balk at pay for leaders of turnaround effort | Detroit Free Press | fre
Gov. Rick Snyder's staff working on Detroit's financial turnaround plan wanted to pay as much as $280,000 a year to attract an exceptional chief financial officer and $250,000 for an experienced program management director -- two key positions that w
4-18-12FreePress--Resin Plant Explosion in Germany May Restrict World Auto Production
- Resin plant blast in Germany may restrict global auto output | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Auto industry leaders are hosting a summit today in Southfield to discuss the shortages of a component called CDT, a chemical that is critical to the production of a plastic resin called Nylon 12, which is used to make brake and fuel lines.
4-17-12TheNation--ALEC In Response to Criticism Pulls out of Voter Suppression and Stand Your Ground Business
- ALEC Disbands Task Force Responsible for Voter ID, 'Stand Your Ground' Laws | The
Feeling the heat as corporations quit, the shadowy group disbands the task force that developed model voter suppression and "shoot first" laws.
4-17-12NYTimes--For Two Economists the Buffett Rule is Just a Start
- For Economists Saez and Piketty, the Buffett Rule Is Just a Start - NYTimes.com
Research by Emmanuel Saez and Thomas Piketty, two French economists known simply as Piketty-Saez in Washington, has provided the subtext to the battle over tax fairness.
4-17-12FreePressEDITORIAL--Investing in Rail Makes Sense as Demand Soars
- Editorial: Investing in rail makes sense as demand soars | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
A balanced national transportation system requires high-speed rail lines that connect the nation's major cities. With gas prices soaring, people are driving less and looking for less stressful alternatives to congested freeways and airports....
4-17-12NYTimes EDITORIAL--Embarrassed by Bad Laws, Businesses Bail on ALEC
- Embarrassed by Bad Laws - NYTimes.com
Businesses are abandoning a right-wing group that helped enact dangerous statutes in many states.
4-16-12NYTimes--GOP Blocks Debate on Buffett Rule in Senate
- ‘Buffett Rule’ Debate Blocked by Republicans - NYTimes.com
GOP blocked debate on a measure pressed by Obama and Senate Dems to raise tax rates for the superrich. [Romney paid an effective tax rate of 13.9% on $21.7 million in income in 2010, the only year for which he has released his tax returns.]
4-15-12FreePress--Donors Needed to Save Historic Lansing Photos
- Donors need to save deteriorating photo record of Lansing | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
R.C. Leavenworth's photography career began in the lumber and mining camps of the Upper Peninsula and took a 20-odd-year detour through Boyne City before a group of Lansing businessmen who summered on Lake Charlevoix enticed him to move south in 1919
4-16-12EconoMonitor--Nouriel Roubini on European Crisis
- EconoMonitor : Nouriel Roubini's Global EconoMonitor » Europe’s Short Vacation
Inevitably, the recession on the eurozone’s periphery is deepening and moving to the core, France and Germany. The the recession will worsen throughout this year, for many reasons. First, front-loaded fiscal austerity is accelerating the contraction
4-16-12FreePress--Red Wings Down 2-1
- Mitch Albom: Red Wings had shots, but Pekka Rinne is a wrecka | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
The best part of Game 3 was a Red Wings goal. Pavel Datsyuk came charging behind the Nashville net, chopped his stick like a Benihana chef -- swick-swick -- stole the puck from Roman Josi, then spun and tucked it in for a score. I think he made stir-
4-16-12FreePress--Mackinac Race Organizers Debate Safety Rules
- Chicago to Mackinac sailboat race organizers debate safety rules | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
After two Saginaw sailors died when their boat WingNuts capsized in last summer's Chicago to Mackinac race, the debate for race planners this year has been all about determining a boat's stability index -- the point of no return where a boat is knock
4-16-12FreePress--Volunteers Step Up Patrols Around Schools
- Volunteers step up patrols around schools to keep kids safe | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Part Two in a two-part series | A smattering of volunteers has been helping patrol schools for years, but since Detroit announced its pilot Safe Routes program last year, targeting three high schools with high rates of neighborhood crime, the patrols
1-16-12NYTimes OP-Ed "The Sweet Spot" Bill Keller
- The Sweet Spot - NYTimes.com
Mitt Romney and President Obama will both need to remember that candidates don’t live by the base alone.
4-16-12NYTimes OP-ED--"Europe's Economic Suicide" Paul Krugman
- Europe’s Economic Suicide - NYTimes.com
With European leaders doubling down on their failed policies, it’s getting harder and harder to believe that anything will get them to change course.
4-15-12NYTMagazine--"How Newt Might Convince Mitt to Concede" Etan Cohen and Dan Sterling
- How Might Gingrich Coax Romney to Concede? - NYTimes.com
The writer of “Tropic Thunder” and “Men in Black 3” imagines a dynamic G.O.P. ticket.
4-5-12 Harper's Magazine--"Witness for the Prosecution" Scott Horton (Torture in the Bush Administration)
- Witness for the Prosecution—By Scott Horton (Harper's Magazine)
Zelikow memo concluded the use of these techniques were prosecutable felonies—war crimes. As he explained before the Senate Judiciary Committee in 2009, his memo caused senior Bush officials to go ballistic and try to find and destroy all copies.
4-15-12NYTimesEDITORIAL More GOP Help for the Wealthy
- More Help for the Wealthy - NYTimes.com
Under the guise of helping small businesses, Republicans want new high-end tax cuts that would favor the wealthy and starve the government of needed revenue.
- Coming - ‘Taxmageddon’ - NYTimes.com
After this year’s election, major tax increases and spending cuts will come into effect — unless a lame-duck Congress and President Obama can agree on an alternative.
4-15-12FreePress COMMENTARY--Brian Dickerson "Who's watching the kids while Governor Snyder focuses?"
- Brian Dickerson: Who's watching the kids while Gov. Snyder focuses? | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
I haven't had the opportunity to watch Rick Snyder at work. But as best I can figure, a typical weekday in the governor's office begins something like this: Snyder: Good morning, Dennis. Today I intend to focus like a laser on workforce development.
4-15-12NYTimes--"Profits Have Stalled. Has the Market?" Paul J. Lim
- Corporate Profits Have Stalled. Has the Market? - NYTimes.com
The only real hope for additional stock gains this year, many investment strategists say, is expansion in the market’s price-to-earnings ratio.
4-15-12FreePress--For Many Kids in Detroit School Zones are Danger Zones
- For many kids in Detroit, school zones are danger zones | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
First of two parts In the dim early morning, Shantinique Skinner slips out the side door of her house and heads to school before the sun rises. The 18-year-old walks past a stretch of bungalows and colonials on her block, only three vacant homes stan
4-15-12FreePress--Wayne County Emails Document Ficano Staff's Frantic Efforts to Deal with Mullin's $200k "Severance" Payment
- Wayne County e-mails reveal effort to stamp out severance scandal | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
As the scandal over a $200,000 severance payment to Turkia Awada Mullin was exploding in late September, Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano's top aide assured him things would be OK.
4-14-12FreePress--Wings Fight Back, Even Series
- Game 2: Wings 3, Predators 2 | freep.com | Detroit Detroit Red Wings | Detroit Free Press
Detroit Red Wings hockey and National Hockey League news, breaking news, statistics, schedules, columns, commentary, conversation, photos and videos from the Detroit Free Press newspaper and Freep.com.
4-14-12NYTimes OP-ED Republicans and Democrats Ducking the Crisis in Medicare Steven Rattner
- Ducking the Medicare Crisis - NYTimes.com
The Affordable Care Act will either be fully paid for or will begin to address the Medicare problem — not both.
AlterNet--5 Countries that Do it Better--How Sexual Prudery Makes America a Less Healthy and Happy Place
- 5 Countries That Do It Better: How Sexual Prudery Makes America a Less Healthy and Happy Place | | A
Sexual attitudes in Europe are the stuff of the Christian Right's nightmares — yet many of those societies are better for having more open attitudes toward sexuality.
4-14-12NYTimesEDITORIAL--Republicans Suck Up to the Gun Lobby
- Republicans and the Gun Lobby - NYTimes.com
Republican politicians gathered at the N.R.A. convention are eagerly pandering to a powerful political lobby that is intent on making the nation’s gun laws weaker.
4-14-12FreePress--MSU Proposes Urban Farming Research Center in Detroit
- Michigan State proposes 100-acre, $100-million urban-farming research center in Detroit | Detroit Fr
Michigan State University has proposed building an urban-agriculture research center in the city of Detroit that over time could grow into a 100-acre campus and a $100-million investment.
4-14-12NYTimes--Fatal Accident Raises Questions on Liability in Car Sharing
- RelayRides Accident Raises Questions on Liabilities of Car Sharing - NYTimes.com
A fatal accident in Boston has exposed the liability car owners can face when they offer to rent their car through companies like RelayRides.
4-14-12FreePress--Local Muslim Americans Sue U.S. Over Harrassment at Border
- Local Muslim Americans sue U.S., alleging strip searches at border | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
A group of Muslim Americans filed a lawsuit Friday against the U.S. government, alleging they were profiled, handcuffed and subjected to invasive body searches at the U.S.-Canada border because of their religious background.
4-14-12FreePressEditorial "Michigan's New Helmet Law Kicks Sense to Curb"
- Editorial: Michigan's new helmet law kicks sense to the curb | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Rick Snyder displayed a myopic lapse of judgment — and a lack of guts — in signing a bill making motorcycle helmets optional. Michigan had required motorcyclists to wear helmets for 42 years. Former Gov. Jennifer Granholm twice stared down misguide
4-13-12NYTimes "Goldmine Sucks" Pays $22 Million to Settle SEC Complaint on Goldman's "Huddle Program" for Passing Stock Tips to Select Clients
- Goldman Fined $22 Million Over Trading Huddles - NYTimes.com
Regulators say that top clients received preferential treatment through Goldman's "trading huddles," in which the bank's research analysts meet frequently to develop trading tips that were passed on to the firm's traders and then select clients.
Jeffrey Nass, President of W1Force which Works with National Rifle Association to Promote "Shoot First" Laws
4-13-12NYTimes--NRA Promoting "Self-defense" Shoot First Laws
- N.R.A. Campaign Leads to Expanded Self-Defense Laws - NYTimes.com
More than two dozen so-called Stand Your Ground statutes enacted in recent years are drawing greater scrutiny in light of the Trayvon Martin case.
4-13-12FreePress--EDITORIAL--Mayor's New Budget Offers Much Pain, Little Hope
- Editorial: Mayor's new budget offers Detroit much pain, little hope | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
You've always got to be careful with phrases like 'new day,' which can raise unrealistic expectations and lead to the dashing of what little hope beleaguered peoples may be hanging on to. So we weren't thrilled to hear Detroit Mayor Dave Bing's staff
4-13-12DetroitNews--CAIR-Michigan Suing FBI Over Religious Questioning
- CAIR-Michigan to sue FBI, Customs over alleged 'invasive religious questioning' | The Detroit News |
Detroit— The local chapter of the Muslim civil rights group CAIR-Michigan is planning Friday to file a lawsuit against the federal government.
4-13-12FreePress--OPINION--"A Rare Expression of Truth About Being Muslim in America" Leonard Pitts
- Leonard Pitts Jr.: A rare expression of truth about being Muslim in America | Detroit Free Press | f
Barack Obama himself has never had the guts to say it. Indeed, while it is famously difficult to prove a negative, it seems apparent that few people in all of politics and media have had the guts to say it. Did John McCain ever say it? Did Rick Santo
4-13-12DetroitNews--Kirk Lewis Takes Charge with Mayor Bing Still Recuperating
- With mayor sidelined, Kirk Lewis takes the ball | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
He was long Mayor Dave Bing's top lieutenant in business and later at City Hall. Now, with the mayor recovering from a series of medical issues, Deputy Mayor Kirk Lewis has been thrust into a historic spotlight.
4-13-12FreePress--No Shows Hurt Jury Pool Diversity
- No-shows for jury duty hurt diversity of Michigan pools | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Jury dodgers have long infuriated the courts. Too often, people throw out their jury questionnaires. Others reply, but don't show for jury duty. Some even bow out during trial. One federal judge has had enough.
4-13-12FreePress--Detroit Dumps Dumb Belle Isle Sign Proposal
- City of Detroit withdraws Belle Isle electronic sign proposal | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
The City of Detroit has withdrawn for now its petition to erect large electronic signs at the entrance to Belle Isle. Daryl Lundy, director of the City of Detroit's office of Homeland Security & Emergency Management, released a statement late Thu
4-13-12FreePress--Detroit Cuts $160 Million--Public Safety, Transit
- Public safety, transit among $160 million in cuts in Detroit budget proposal | Detroit Free Press |
Detroit Mayor Dave Bing's administration calls them essential core services, but the budget proposal presented to the City Council on Thursday doesn't spare public safety, transit or lighting from cuts, possible privatization or major restructuring.
4-12-12Birmingham-Bloomfield Eagle "Shots Fired By Woman After Fight Outside South bar at Woodward and Merrill in the Early Morning Hours
- Shots fired outside South bar in Birmingham | C & G Newspapers
The incident involved an altercation two women had as they were leaving the bar around 2:30 a.m. One of the women, said she exchanged words with the other woman, who punched her and got her gun from her car and fired 2 shots in the air and fled.
4-12-12Detroit News--Wingnut Florida Republican Allen West Says 78-81 Congressional Dems are Members of the Communist Party (Including John Conyers and other me
- Lawmaker calls 78-81 Dems communists | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
Washington - Republican Rep. Allen West said he believes 75-plus House Democrats are members of the Communist Party, a claim that echoed Joe McCarthy's unsubstantiated 1950s charges that communists had infiltrated the top ranks of the U.S. government
4-12-12DetroitNews--Ficano: "We're in great shape" as two more aides quit
- Ficano says: 'We are in great shape' as 2 more aides quit | The Detroit News | detro
Detroit - Two more top appointees have resigned from Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano's inner circle, but he says a steady stream of turnover hasn't hurt his administration.
4-12-12DetroitNews--Macomb Council Committee Clouds DIA Regional Tax Vote
- Macomb panel clouds DIA tax vote | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
Detroit - Hopes of creating a regional tax for the Detroit Institute of Arts grew murky Wednesday, when Macomb County officials refused to put the measure on the ballot.
4-12-12DetroitNews--Bob Bashara's Lawyer Fights Request for Handwriting Sample
- Bashara's lawyer fights request for handwriting sample | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
Detroit - The attorney for the husband of a slain Grosse Pointe Park woman is battling with Wayne County prosecutors over a request for a handwriting sample.
4-12-12DetroitNews--Couple Run with the Money They Stole from Detroit Pension fund Loan
- Pension fund alleges pair on run with cash | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
A missing South Carolina couple pocketed as much as $5 million from a Detroit pension fund and is spending the cash on overseas business ventures and island hopping in the Caribbean, pension fund lawyers said.
4-12-12NYTimes/Reuters Breaking News--Jobless Claims Rise
- Claims for Jobless Benefits Rise - NYTimes.com
In other economic reports, the United States government also said the February trade deficit was lower and wholesale inflation in March was flat.
4-12-12NYTimes--Millionaire Coalition Urges Public Financing of NY Elections
- Coalition Urges Public Financing in New York State Elections - NYTimes.com
A well-heeled coalition is pushing to enact a public financing system for elections, starting next week with mailings to the constituents of four state senators.
4-12-12NYTimes--Romney Tries to Narrow His Gender Gap
- Romney Taking Steps to Narrow His Gender Gap - NYTimes.com
Mitt Romney’s campaign finds itself squeezed between its intensifying efforts to appeal to women and its need to avoid alienating conservatives.
4-12-12NYTimes--2nd Degree Murder Charge in Trayvon Martin Shooting
- Zimmerman to Be Charged in Trayvon Martin Shooting - NYTimes.com
The special prosecutor in the shooting death of the 17-year-old in Sanford, Fla., said Wednesday that George Zimmerman would appear before a magistrate in the next 24 hours.
4-12-12NYTimes EDITORIAL--Searching for Justice in the Trayvon Martin Case
- Searching for Justice in the Trayvon Martin Case - NYTimes.com
Criminal charges in Florida against George Zimmerman, who shot and killed Trayvon Martin, were a step forward. The case should also put the state’s self-defense law on trial.
4-12-12NYTimes--British Phone Hacking Lawsuits Against Murdoch Tabloids to be Filed in the U.S. on Behalf of U.S. Victims
- British Hacking Scandal Suits to Be Filed in U.S. - NYTimes.com
Mark Lewis, a British lawyer, said he planned to sue in the United States on behalf of victims who allege they were the subject of phone hacking by Rupert Murdoch’s British tabloids.
4-12-12NYTimesEditorial "The Wages of Ideology"
- The Wages of Ideology - NYTimes.com
An attack on equal pay for women in Wisconsin is part of a national Republican agenda.
4-5-12FreePress--Verlander Makes his Case for MVP 2012 in Tiger Opener
4-12-12FreePress--Appeals Court Restricts DTE Rate Increase Tied to "Smart Meters"
- Appeals court restricts DTE Energy electricity rate increases | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
A Michigan Court of Appeals decision Wednesday rejecting certain electricity rate increases for DTE Energy is a 'win for customers,' says an attorney who argued the case.
4-12-12FreePress--State, Federal Tax Revenues Gained 4134.5 billion from Auto Recovery
- State, federal tax revenues saw $134.5-billion gain from auto recovery | Detroit Free Press | freep.
The rebounding auto industry contributed about $134.5 billion to state and federal tax revenues in 2010 from taxes and fees, a study released Wednesday by the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor shows.
4-9-12NYTimesBreaking News: Trayvon Martin Case Won't Go Before Florida Grand Jury, but it may go directly to trial.
- Trayvon Martin Death Won’t Go to Florida Grand Jury - NYTimes.com
Special prosecutor Angela Corey said Monday she will not take the Trayvon Martin shooting death before a grand jury.
4-9-12NYTimes OP-ED--"The Gullible Middle Class" Paul Krugman
- The Gullible Center - NYTimes.com
Why are “centrists” falling for fiscal flimflam and joining the Ryan cult? He's a garden-variety G.O.P. extremist, an Ayn Rand devotee who thinks the answer to all problems is to cut taxes on the rich and slash benefits for the poor and middle class.
4-9-10FreePress--Bias Cases Set Record at EEOC
- Bias cases hit record numbers at EEOC | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
A growing number of U.S. workers are turning to the EEOC to combat job discrimination.
4-8-12FreePress--Historic Briggs Mansion For Sale at Bargain Price
- Briggs 'Stone Hedge' home back on market for 1st time in 36 years | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
There are only a handful of them left -- the-turn-of-the-last-century Detroit mansions with butler pantries, liquor safes, servants' quarters and construction techniques and materials too expensive to replicate today. So when one of the gems goes on
4-9-12TheTouch--April 11 State Hearing Set for Saugatuck Merger Proposal
- April 11 State Hearing Set for Saugatuck-Douglas Merger Request - 1560 AM and 95.5 FM The Touch Toda
SAUGATUCK, MI (WHTC) - The Consolidated Government Committee, a grass-roots group looking to merge the governments of Saugatuck, Douglas and Saugatuck Township into a single entity, said that ...[This could be a breakthrough applicable elsewhere.]
Sunday in Michigan
One out of every two Detroit adults is neither holding a job nor looking for work, the worst percentage among 41 major U.S. cities. 174,000 Detroiters age 16-64 don't work. The Detroit city council voted this week to double the city's income tax rate on corporations from 1% to 2%, not a way to provide badly needed jobs.
Mayor Bing was released from Henry Ford Hospital Saturday where he was being treated for a pulmonary embolism following intestinal surgery.
Michigan, Ohio and the EPA are cooperating in an effort to deal with growing toxic algae blooms which are destroying the western end Lake Erie for recreation and fishing. The blooms are caused by fertilizer runoff from farms and Detroit sewage treatment overflows.
Detroit's Belle Isle is not likely to remain a free park once responsibility for it is assumed by the state Department of National Resources as planned in the Detroit's consent agreement signed this week. Visitors will likely be required to a $10 license plate fee which provides access to Michigan's 99 state parks.
Michael Rosenberg calls Niklas Lidstrom "nothing short of genius" in a long story recapping of the Detroit Redwings capain's life and hockey career, rating him one of the top 10 players in the history of the game.
4-8-12FreePressSports--"Nick Lidstrom is Nothing Short of Genius" Michael Rosenberg
- Michael Rosenberg: Red Wings' Nicklas Lidstrom is ahead of the game | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
You will never figure him out. Everybody around the Red Wings says that about Nicklas Lidstrom. Tell them you want to get inside the mind of Lidstrom -- to understand his genius, to see what he sees. They laugh or shake their heads. 'It's impossible
Lawrence O'Donnell Shines Some Light on ALEC--Democracy for Sale
Should You Support ALEC?
4-8-12NYTimesEDITORIAL--The Road to Guantanamo We Need Not Have Traveled.
- The Road We Need Not Have Traveled - NYTimes.com
A military tribunal at the Guantánamo Bay detention camp is the wrong system, and the wrong place, to try the mastermind of the 9/11 attacks.
4-8-12NYTimes--A Rich Game of Thrones in Executive Pay--Is any CEO Worth $1 Million a Day?
- In Chief Executives’ Pay, a Rich Game of Thrones - NYTimes.com
Although the growth in C.E.O. compensation slowed last year, the pay numbers are still eye-popping. Apple CEO Timothy Cook awarded stock worth $634 million at latest count.
4-8-12NYTimes OPINION--"Cultural Liberalism is not Enough" Eric Alterman
- Cultural Liberalism is not Enough by Eric Alterman
“The great liberal failing of this time,” Daniel Patrick Moynihan observed as early as 1968, was “constantly to over-promise and to overstate, and thereby constantly to appear to under-perform.” This not only alienated key constituencies, but it also
4-8-12NYTimes--Spam Invades the Cell Phone
- Text Message Spam, Difficult to Stop, Is a Growing Menace - NYTimes.com
Cellphone customers received roughly 4.5 billion spam texts last year, twice as many as in 2009, and remedies to the growing menace are few.
4-8-12NYTimes--U.S. Welfare Limits Left Poor Adrift
- Welfare Limits Left Poor Adrift as Recession Hit - NYTimes.com
In Arizona and other states, some recipients of the Clinton-era Temporary Assistance for Needy Families have taken desperate measures to make ends meet.
4-7-12FreePress--A Rosier Outlook for Job Growth in Michigan
- A rosier outlook for job growth in Michigan | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
A University of Michigan economist has sharply raised his forecast for job growth in the state this year on the heels of new data showing a strong surge in employment in the state during the first quarter.
4-7-12FreePressEditorial--Free Up Federal Funds to Dredge State's Harbors
- Editorial: A plea to free up cash for dredging Michgian harbors | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
The dire condition of most of Michigan's small harbors has serious implications for boating safety, tourism and even some commercial uses. It is time for Congress to step up and figure out how to fund the overdue dredging.
4-7-12FreePressLetters--Deadly Consequences of an Armed Society
- Letters: Deadly consequences of an armed society | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Students killed! Another mass shooting at a high school! Rampage on campus! Child dies in drive-by shooting! Woman in kitchen hit by stray bullet! Unarmed teenager killed by neighborhood safety patrol!
4-7-12FreePress--GUEST COMMENTARY--Repeal Michigan Stand Your Ground Law by State Rep. Tim Bledsoe
- Guest commentary: Draw a new line for Stand Your Ground law | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Several weeks ago, I was walking my dog through my community, as I often do, when an older man pulled up to the curb and sought my attention. Thinking that he was looking for directions, I went over to talk with him.
The Time has Come for Stricter Handgun Control Laws
Bravo for State Rep. Tim Bledsoe's plea for repeal of Michigan's "stand your ground" law. Michigan's statute is a virtual copy of the Florida law which has resulted in a big increase in shootings and deaths since it was adopted in 2005. The "castle doctrine" which originated in English common law has served us well for hundreds of years. Beyond repealing Michigan's "stand your ground" law, Michigan and it's cities should adopt the strictest laws governing the sale and use of handguns permissible under the current U.S. Supreme Court interpretation of the Second Amendment. Steps should be taken to provide for the effective enforcement of these laws. Adopting laws advocated by gun manufacturers, the National Rifle Association and ALEC which encourage gun ownership and carrying concealed handguns clearly is not in the public interest.
4-7-12FreePress--Veteran Public Defender Assigned to Defend Joseph Gentz in Bashara Murder Case
- Veteran Detroit attorney Susan Reed in spotlight again as she takes on Bashara case | Detroit Free P
Inmates like her. And that's a good thing, Detroit attorney Susan Reed says.
4-6-12NYTimes EDITORIAL "How to Expand the Voter Rolls"
- How to Expand the Voter Rolls - NYTimes.com
One reason the United States has a low voter-participation rate is that most states are using 19th-century registration methods in the 21st century. [Voter fraud is not a problem because there is no financial incentive for anyone to vote illegally.]
4-6-12NYTimes--After a Winter of Strong Gains, Job Growth Ebbs
- March Jobs Report Shows Disappointing Growth - NYTimes.com
The US economy added only 120,000 jobs in March, the Labor Dept reported Friday, about half the gains posted in each of the preceding three months. Comment: This will put pressure on the Fed to continue its quantitative easing, low interest policy.
4-6-12NYTimes--Senate Vote Puts Connecticut on Track to Repeal Death Penalty
- Death Penalty Repeal Bill Passes Connecticut Senate - NYTimes.com
The bill, which is supported by Gov. Dannel P. Malloy, is expected to pass the House of Representatives, which would make Connecticut the 17th state without a death penalty. [Michigan outlawed capital punishment in 1837.]
4-6-12NYTimes--Fighting to Repeal California Death Penalty Law
- Fighting to Repeal California Execution Law They Championed - NYTimes.com
Two men behind Proposition 7, a tough death penalty initiative passed in 1978, now see it as one of the biggest mistakes they ever made. [Michigan outlawed capital punishment in 1837.]
4-6-12DetroitNews--GM Sets March Sales Record in China
- GM sets March sales record in China on demand for Buick Excelle | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
General Motors Co. sales in China, where it is the largest foreign automaker, rose 11 percent from a year earlier to a record for March led by demand for vehicles including the Buick Excelle and Chevrolet New Sail.
4-6-12DetroitNews--Southeast Michigan Population Loss Eases
- Southeast Michigan's population loss eases | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
New census estimates show surprising population gains in Oakland and Washtenaw counties and demographers say an improving economy helped to substantially slow the flood of people out of southeast Michigan.
4-6-12DetroitNews--Demolition of Cobo Arena Underway
- Demolition of Cobo Arena begins to make way for overhaul of convention center | The Detroit News | d
Detroit - Along the downtown riverfront Thursday morning, a giant crane began to tear down the wall separating Cobo Center and the former Cobo Arena, smashing one of the last physical remains of the legendary concert venue.
4-6-12FreePress--Federal Probe Says Activist Stole from Highland Park School Funds
- Federal probe says activist stole from Highland Park schools | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Highland Park school board member Robert Davis -- who spearheaded an effort to derail Detroit's consent agreement -- has been snared in a federal public corruption probe that accuses him of shady deals and phony invoices that steered thousands of dol
4-6-12FreePress--Federal Judge Rules in Favor of Quran Burning Pastor Terry Jones
- Federal judge rules in favor of Quran-burning pastor Terry Jones | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
A federal judge ruled today in favor of Quran-burning pastor Terry Jones, saying he can protest this Saturday outside a Dearborn mosque without having to sign a legal agreement from the city of Dearborn.
4-6-12FreePress--Consent Deal's Next Step--Hire for Top Positions
- Detroit consent deal's next step: Hire for new top positions | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
A day after the Detroit City Council adopted an unprecedented deal for the state to oversee the city's crumbling finances, Gov. Rick Snyder and Detroit city officials got down to the first order of business -- transforming a consent agreement into a
4-5-12--Detroit News "Mayor Bing Being Treated for Acute Pulmonary Embolism"
- Bing treated for 'acute pulmonary embolism' in lungs | The Detroit News | detroitnew
Mayor Dave Bing is being treated for what doctors called an "acute pulmonary embolism" in each lung and is now on blood thinners, according to his spokesman.
What's New in Michigan and US Politics
What's New in Michigan Politics provides news and informed commentary on Michigan politics and important national political and economic news.
4-5-12NYTimes OP-ED "Not Enough Inflation" Paul Krugman
- Not Enough Inflation - NYTimes.com
Republican attacks on Ben Bernanke, the Federal Reserve chairman, are a destructive effort to bully the Fed into doing exactly the wrong thing.
4-4-12FreePress--Detroit's Deal With State Lifts Threat of Manager for Now
- Detroit's new deal with state lifts threat of manager, for now | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
After weeks of meetings, rallies and court battles, the Detroit City Council voted Wednesday to approve a consent agreement with the State of Michigan, warding off, at least in the short term, the threat of the state appointing an emergency manager w
Who Will Mitt Romney Choose for His Running Mate?
With Romney's nomination virtually sewed up attention turns to the the question of who he will select as his running mate. Several considerations may enter into his decision--shoring up his sagging support among the party's base; repairing the damage to his support by women voters due to the recent issues over contraceptives and abortion; seeking support from Latino voters; winning in swing states like Ohio and Florida; and appealing to independent and moderate voters. It will be impossible to find someone who satisfies all of these objectives. Here are the Intrade odds for the leading contenders:
Marco Rubio--25%--Young Conservative Latino Senator from swing-state Florida
Chris Christie--11%--Moderate New Jersey Governor
Bob McDonnell--10%--Young, Conservative Virginia Governor
Susana Martinez--9%--Young, Latina Governor of New Mexico;
Rob Portman--8%--Junior Senator from Ohio; US Trade Representative under Bush
Paul Ryan--8%--Wisconsin conservative; chairman of the House Budget Committee
Others who have been mentioned by the pundits: John Thune, Tim Pawlenty, Mitch Daniels, Bobby Jindall
4-4-12NYTimes--Rupert Murdoch's SKY News Channel Discloses Email Hacking
- Murdoch’s Sky News Channel Discloses E-Mail Hacking - NYTimes.com
Sky News, part of Rupert Murdoch’s media empire, admitted that it had hacked into e-mails on two occasions but said the actions were in the public interest. A SKY journalist was authorized “to access the e-mail of individuals suspected of crimes."
4-4-12AlterNet--Deciphering Right Wing Code
- Deciphering Right-Wing Code: What Conservatives Are Really Saying When They Seem to Spew Nonsense |
Did Rick Santorum just declare the next right-wing crusade?
4-5-12Detroit News EDITORIAL Nolan Finley: "Difficult Vote Puts Detroit on Right Path"
- Finley: Difficult vote puts Detroit on right path | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
Doing the right thing isn't always easy to do in Detroit. But the City Council at last mustered the courage and the votes to approve a financial stability plan that should keep the city from toppling off the financial cliff.
4-5-12FreePress--Detroit City Council Takes only Viable Option for City
- Editorial: Council consents to best option left for city | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Nobody should minimize the uneasiness -- to put it in the mildest term -- Detroiters may feel as their elected leaders enter into a financial consent agreement with the state. It is a very difficult situation.
4-5-12FreePress--Stephen Henderson--Council Showed True Leadership in Approval of Consent Agreement
- Stephen Henderson: Council showed true leadership with consent agreement vote | Detroit Free Press |
There were no heroes or cowards on the Detroit City Council on Wednesday evening. Instead, there were five realists who carried the day.
4-5-12FreePress--Plans for Detroit Public Schools--Sell services to other districts and let some schools govern themselves
- New plans for Detroit Public Schools: Sell services to other districts, let some schools govern them
Detroit Public Schools is planning radical changes for the next school year in an effort to bring in money and become a smaller system of autonomous schools after years of enrollment and state-aid declines.
4-5-12FreePress--Text of Consent Agreement
Detroit Mayor Dave Bing Re-admitted to the Hospital for Observation
Mayor Dave Bing was re-admitted to the hospital today for observation because he experienced "discomfort" following surgery last week for a punctured intestine. Mayor Bing is 68.
4-4-12NYTimes OP-ED--"Down the Insurance Rabbit Hole" Andrea Louise Campbell
- Down the Insurance Rabbit Hole - NYTimes.com
Insurance issues add to the stresses on a family struck by tragedy.
4-4-12NYTimes OPINION--"The Bowles-Simpson Cult" Paul Krugman
- The Bowles-Simpson Cult - NYTimes.com
Stan Collender says what needs to be said.
4-4-12NYTimes OPINION "Voter Suppression in Minnesota" Andrew Rosenthal
- Voter Suppression, Again, in Minnesota This Time - NYTimes.com
Minnesota Republicans go to incredible lengths to restrict voter turnout.
4-4-12FreePress Breaking News--Mayor Bing Re-admitted to Henry Ford Hospital
- Mayor Dave Bing admitted to Henry Ford Hospital | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Detroit Mayor Dave Bing was readmitted to Henry Ford Hospital this afternoon. His office said he was “experiencing some discomfort.” The mayor, 68, had been released from the hospital Monday after a 9-day stay. He was recuperating at home from sur
4-4-12NYTimes--Doctor Panels Urge Fewer Routine Tests
- Doctor Panels Urge Fewer Routine Tests - NYTimes.com
The recommendations on 45 common procedures, likely to alter standards of hospital care, represent an acknowledgment by doctors that many profitable treatments are performed unnecessarily.
4-4-12DetroitNewsEDITORIAL--Detroit City Council Risking State Takeover
- Editorial: Council risks pushing Detroit to state takeover | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
Detroit City Council Tuesday did everything it could to assure that elected leaders will lose control of the city. In refusing to vote on a consent agreement with the state to save the city from insolvency, the council pushed Gov. Rick Snyder a step
4-4-12FreePress--Mayor Dave Bing: Time to Vote or Governor Will Act
- Mayor Dave Bing: Time to vote or governor will act | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Detroit Mayor Dave Bing's administration sent a message to the City Council on Tuesday night: Set aside your legal concerns and approve a consent agreement today, or the governor may have to appoint an emergency manager to run the city.
4-4-12FreePressOPINION Stephen Henderson: City Council's Best Move--Approve Consent Agreement
- Stephen Henderson: Detroit City Council's best move is to approve a consent agreement | Detroit Free
The Detroit City Council had better make a decision, because Gov. Rick Snyder already has. By this time next week, Detroit will almost certainly have a new government structure. The council can either be part of that, or sit apart from it.
4-4-12FreePress--Michigan's Shallow Harbors Sinking Great Lakes Tourism
- Shallow harbors are sinking Great Lakes tourism | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
A $200-million backlog in unfunded Great Lakes dredging and maintenance projects has left many Great Lakes harbors so shallow, they create safety hazards and hurt Michigan's tourism industry. Lack of regular maintenance could leave recreational boate
4-4-12NYTimes EDITORIAL--Calling Radicalism By Its Name
- Calling Radicalism by Its Name - NYTimes.com
In a blistering speech, President Obama denounced the Republican Party for cruelty and extremism and signaled a tough-minded campaign ahead.
3-4-12NYTimes--Romney Sweeps Three Primaries: Wisconsin, Maryland and District of Columbia
- Mitt Romney Wins Maryland, Tightening Grip on Nomination - NYTimes.com
Mitt Romney tightened his grip on the Republican nomination on Tuesday with primary wins in Maryland, Wisconsin and the District of Columbia, and found himself in his first direct engagement with President Obama.
4-4-12FreePress--A Re-opened Ponchartrain Could Bring Convention Business
- A reopened Pontchartrain hotel could lure convention business to downtown Detroit | Detroit Free Pre
Detroit's dormant Hotel Pontchartrain, if reopened as planned, could enhance the city's ability to attract conventions and trade shows to the city, a local convention official said Tuesday.
4-3-12FreePress--"NY Schools Protect Kids from Dinosaurs" Leonard Pitts [This takes the cake!]
- Leonard Pitts Jr.: N.Y. schools try to protect kids from dinosaurs | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Warning: This column contains language some readers may find unsuitable for children. Parental guidance is suggested. Still here? OK, fine. Don't say you weren't told. Here's one of the offensive words: 'Dinosaur.' And another: 'Birthday.' And anothe
4-3-12NYTimes OP-ED "And Now the Veepstakes" Frank Bruni
- And Now, the Veepstakes - NYTimes.com
Mitt Romney’s progress toward the nomination has set off a predictably frenzied, inevitably flawed guessing game.
4-3-12NYTimes EDITORIAL "A Federal Judge Turns on the Light on Campaign Finance""
- A Judge Turns on the Light on Campaign Finance - NYTimes.com
A federal judge took an important step toward ending secret donations to big-spending political groups.
4-3-12NYTimes OP-Ed "Why People Hate the Banks" Joe Nocera
- Why People Hate the Banks - NYTimes.com
All you have to say is “credit card collection practices,” and you find out quickly why Americans are frustrated.
4-3-12Freep--Live With Great Lakes Water Levels As They Are
- Editorial: Live with Great Lakes water levels, at least for now | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
The most recent study of Great Lakes water levels offers little solace to those who suffer from receding levels in the Lake Michigan-Huron basin, particularly those along Georgian Bay.
4-3-12Freep--Bing Released after 9-day Hospital Stay
- Bing released after 9-day hospital stay | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Bing, 68, underwent surgery March 24 at Henry Ford Hospital to repair a puncture in his colon, said a statement issued from his office today.
4-3-12Freep--GM Sells 100,000 Vehicles that Get 30 MPG or Better
- GM sells 100,000 vehicles at 30 m.p.g. or better | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
General Motors said Monday it sold at least 100,000 vehicles in March that get at least 30 m.p.g. on the highway, a company best.
4-3-12FreePress--Detroit Deal Close But Pitfalls Remain
- Detroit financial crisis: Bing, City Council close to deal but pitfalls loom | Detroit Free Press |
Mayor Dave Bing and the City Council finally are close to an agreement that could convince Gov. Rick Snyder not to appoint an emergency manager Thursday. But hopes of reaching an agreement today are muddied by continuous wrangling between the two bod
Terry Jones Sues Dearborn, Claiming a Violation of First Amendment
- Terry Jones sues Dearborn, accuses of violating free speech | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Quran-burning pastor Terry Jones filed a lawsuit today against Dearborn, alleging the city is violating his constitutional right to free speech by asking him to sign a legal agreement ahead of a rally he’s planned for this Saturday outside of a Dearb
Michigan Has a Stand Your Ground Law Very Similar to Florida's Law
Michigan's "stand your ground" law was passed by the Michigan legislature and signed by Governor Jennifer Granholm. It became effective October 1, 2006. Michigan's law is quite similar to the controversial Florida law which reportedly has resulted in an big increase in shootings and deaths in that state. These laws are being promoted and adopted in many states across the country by the National Rifle Association with help from the American Legislative Exchange Council, aka ALEC, a conservative organization devoted to limited government and individual liberty.
780.972 Use of deadly force by individual not engaged in commission of crime; conditions.
(1) An individual who has not or is not engaged in the commission of a crime at the time he or she uses deadly force may use deadly force against another individual anywhere he or she has the legal right to be with no duty to retreat if either of the following applies:
(a) The individual honestly and reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the imminent death of or imminent great bodily harm to himself or herself or to another individual.
(b) The individual honestly and reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the imminent sexual assault of himself or herself or of another individual.
(2) An individual who has not or is not engaged in the commission of a crime at the time he or she uses force other than deadly force may use force other than deadly force against another individual anywhere he or she has the legal right to be with no duty to retreat if he or she honestly and reasonably believes that the use of that force is necessary to defend himself or herself or another individual from the imminent unlawful use of force by another individual.
History: 2006, Act 309, Eff. Oct. 1, 2006
4-2-12DetroitNews--Hoekstra Rivals Line up for Primary
- Peter Hoekstra's GOP rivals line up for fight in primary | The Detroit News | detroitnews.co
Former U.S. Rep. Pete Hoekstra's attempt to ignore his Republican U.S. Senate primary opponents and focus a campaign on incumbent Democrat Debbie Stabenow has only emboldened his closest rivals.
4-1-12DetroitMetroTimes--Charles Pugh "A Heartbeat Away from the Mayor's Seat" Jack Lessenberry
- A heartbeat away from the mayor’s seat - Columns - Detroit Metro Times
Know why? Because the new acting mayor would be none other than the narcissistic Charles Pugh. What was also clear is that Pugh had no idea how to manage his own financial affairs, something that hasn't changed. Last month, he walked away from...
4-2-12HuffPostPolitics--Supreme Court and Health Care
- Wendell Potter: Hope the Supremes Strike Down ObamaCare? Get Ready for PanemCare
Since Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia clearly isn't going to take the time to actually read the health care reform law before he decides whether or not it's constitutional, maybe he can catch a screening of The Hunger Games.
4-2-12MotherJones--America's Top 10 Polluted Rivers
- America's Top 10 Most Polluted Waterways | Mother Jones
An eye-opening new report (PDF) from Environment America Research and Policy Center finds that industry discharged 226 million pounds of toxic chemicals into America's rivers and streams in 2010. The pollution included dead-zone producing nitrates...
4-2-12FreePress--M-1 Light Rail Still on Track
- Editorial: M-1 light rail, and its benefits, still on track | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Private sponsors driving a plan to build 3. Woodward in downtown Detroit remain confident they can raise the $125 million, or more, needed to build the system....
4-2-12FreePress--Engineers Find New Hope for Jobs in Michigan
- Engineers find new hope for jobs in Michigan | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
At an Engineering Society of Detroit job fair in Novi last month, open jobs outnumbered job seekers nearly 6-1. A shortage of highly skilled workers is threatening to stall newfound growth for business and the state economy, even as millions across t
4-2-12FreePress--Detroit Comes Down to the Wire on Consent Agreement
- Detroit financial crisis: City comes down to the wire on consent deal with state | Detroit Free Pres
Time is rapidly running out for Detroit to reach an agreement with the state that will avert the appointment of an emergency manager, a spokeswoman for Gov. Rick Snyder said Sunday.
- Pink Slime Economics - NYTimes.com
The Republican budget, with its secret plans to close mystery loopholes, may be the most fraudulent ever.
4-1-12NYTimes OP-ED "Pink Slime Economics" Paul Krugman
- Pink Slime Economics - NYTimes.com
The Republican budget, with its secret plans to close mystery loopholes, may be the most fraudulent ever.
4-1-12NYTimesEDITORIAL--Congress Does Contributors' Bidding
- Their Contributors’ Bidding - NYTimes.com
Members of Congress, and the White House, are undermining essential investor protections.
4-1-12NYTimes OPINION--"Tyler and Trayvon" Bill Keller
- Tyler and Trayvon - NYTimes.com
The tragic deaths of two teenagers raise questions about hate-crime laws and our urge to fix the human race.
4-1-12NYTimesMagazine--"Who Killed the Debt Deal" Matt Bai
- Obama vs. Boehner - Who Killed the Debt Deal? - NYTimes.com
After months of self-serving narratives and accusations, a full accounting of how a historic debt deal went bad. [Comment: Boehner and Obama wanted a deal, but Cantor and the Tea Party Republicans in the House stymied their efforts.]
4-1-12NYTimes--Pension Funds do Better with Stocks than Risky Private Equity, Real Estate and Hedge Funds
- Pension Funds Making Alternative Bets Struggle to Keep Up - NYTimes.com
Pension funds that have increased expensive investments in private equity, real estate and hedge funds have been outperformed by stocks and bonds in the last five years.
4-1-12FreePress OPINION--"In Lansing a Mortgage Bill Tailored by GOP for One" Brian Dickerson
- Brian Dickerson: In Lansing, a mortgage bill tailored for one | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
In 2009, when real estate developer David Schostak realized that a mall he and some partners owned near Traverse City was worth a good deal less than the $8.7 million they'd borrowed to purchase it, he did what a lot of less affluent Michiganders hav
4-1-12FreePress--Detroit's Vacant Land a Burdern
If vacant lots were painted red, an aerial view of Detroit would look like a bad case of the measles. There is so much empty land today within Detroit's 139 square miles -- land slowly returning to nature with no buildings -- the city of Paris could
4-1-12FreePress--Short Sales Heading Up in Detroit Area
- Short sales on homes are heading up in Detroit area | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
The next-door neighbor's constantly loose pit bull was the last straw for Matt and Anne Sackrison, a dual-income couple who owned an underwater home in Warren and wanted out. They moved to Warren in 2006 and the neighborhood deteriorated almost overn
4-1-12FreePress OPINION--"Keep Detroit Focus on the People, Not Politics" Stephen Henderson
- Stephen Henderson: Detroit's financial crisis: Keep focus on city's people -- not politics | Detroit
The lights are still out on East Lafayette Boulevard in Detroit -- at least they were when I drove home Friday night. It has been three weeks since I first wrote about the darkness in that area, and I can remember the lights being off as far back as
4-1-12NYTimes--In Assessing Iran, CIA Haunted by Iraq Mistakes
- Assessing Iran, but Thinking About Iraq - NYTimes.com
Faulty intelligence conclusions about Saddam Hussein’s supposed weapons of mass destruction have cast a shadow over current efforts to evaluate Iran’s nuclear capabilities.
4-1-12NYTimes--The Driver in Ford's Amazing Race--Alan Mulally
- ‘American Icon’ Examines Ford’s Rebound - Review - NYTimes.com
In a new book, “American Icon,” Bryce G. Hoffman examines the Ford Motor Company’s rebound, and Alan Mulally’s role in it.
30-31-12DetroitNews--Sander Levin--"The Health Care Law Should be Preserved"
- Commentary: New health care law should be preserved | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com
As I sat in the Supreme Court this week for oral arguments on health care reform I felt privileged to witness the vibrancy of our democracy. A healthy back and forth discussion among the lawyers and among the justices started within the very first mi
3-31-12FreePress--Retroactive Law Written by Schostak Brothers' Lawyer and Pushed by Bobby Schostak, Michigan GOP Chairman, Lets Schostak Brothers off the Hook
- Retroactive state law lets GOP chairman's brother off hook for $2.4 million | Detroit Free Press | f
Wells Fargo bank will file a court challenge to a new state law signed by Gov. Rick Snyder that overturned a $2.4-million judgment against the brother and business partner of Michigan Republican Party Chairman Bobby Schostak, the bank's attorney said
4-1-12Common Dreams--"The Truth About the U.S. Postal Service" Jim Hightower
- The Truth About the US Postal Service | Common Dreams
For several months, the laissez-fairyland blogosphere, assorted corporate front groups, a howling pack of congressional right-wingers and a bunch of lazy mass media have been pounding out a drumbeat to warn that our postal service is doomed...
4-1-12NYTimes EDITORIAL--"The Roberts Court Defines Itself"
- The Roberts Court Defines Itself - NYTimes.com
Will its ruling in the health care case expunge judicial restraint from legal conservatism?
4-1-12NYTimes OP-ED "In Florida, a Death Foretold" Isabel Wilkerson
- A Native Caste Society - NYTimes.com
Caste is alive and well in this country, where a still unsettled multiracial society is emerging from a starkly drawn social order.
4-1-12NYTimes "How to Prevent a Financial Overdose" Gretchen Morgenson
- How a Financial Products Agency Could Protect Investors - NYTimes.com
Two professors propose a federal agency, in some ways like the F.D.A., that would test the social utility of financial products before they were allowed on the market.
4-1-12NYTimes OP-Ed--Goldman Sachs Tied to Firm's Sex-Trafficking of Under-Age Girls, Nicholas Kristof
- Financers and Sex Trafficking - NYTimes.com
Embarrassed, Goldman Sachs decides to sell its stake in a prostitution Web site. Backpage plays a major role in trafficking minors or women who are coerced. In a recent case in New York, prosecutors say a 15-year-old girl was drugged, tied up, raped
More by this Author
Twice in recent weeks otherwise excellent NY Times editorials endorsing and congratulating Barack Obama referred to the "necessary war in Afghanistan" without explaining what is so necessary about the war,...
Global Warming Update--2008-2011 This site is an aggregation of articles from reputable sources about scientific research 2008 to the present.
Staph Infections Patients who have sores that will not heal or that are filled with pus should see a doctor and ask to be tested for staph infection. They should not squeeze the sore or try to drain it--that can spread...