Well, as an expat Canadian living in China, here’s how I see it…
1) Make education a priority in the country. I have always felt that a nation that supports and encourages a great education system will reap the benefits of the investment in uncountable ways. One of the most interesting books I have read lately is The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America by Charlotte Thomson Iserbyt. It is definitely food for thought.
2) Become more accepting of other cultures and other governments.. Until very recently, only 15% of the American population had passports. That has increased to 21% today because it is now necessary to have one to visit Canada and Mexico. It is an intelligent population but one that is culturally ignorant about the rest of the world. Americans need to get out of their comfort zone and explore the globe. It is not the same world as being portrayed by the media and the government
3) Stop meddling in other countries’ affairs and trying to fix their problems. It always scares me when one war ends because I know the American war machine must keep going. Which country will be next on their list? Now they have pulled out of their latest carnage, I can almost guarantee that there will be some sort of propaganda campaign starting soon that will slowly result in another invasion of another part of the world. This cycle has been going on for as long as I can remember.
4) Separate the church and the state. These two were never meant to be connected. When national and local government policy in the 21st century is affected by beliefs in mythology, there are going to be problems.
5) Stop blaming other countries for their economic problems. The US has always been a goldmine of ideas and patents. Economies cannot run on digital transactions. It doesn’t take a genius to see that economies flourish when real things are produced, things you can touch and feel. Make something of quality in your own country and sell it. And then do it over and over again. That’s how it used to work! If you can’t make it or sell it for the same price other places do, then maybe everything does need to crash and burn, once and for all, so that prices decrease to a reasonable level again.