backporchstories profile image 85

Why is it that in America, the majority fall short of taking care of our ailing and aging parents?

It seems like most people are too busy with their lives to be responsible for our aging parents. Too often we look to nursing homes or elderly community living to see to those golden years of the people who committed to taking care of us in our younger years. In other cultures, they are more apt to take on this task, but here in America, we are convinced that professional care is better. Why is this, when we know they are being detached from the family and become lonely and isolated and sometimes abused?

shampa sadhya profile image87

Shampa Sadhya says

Express10 profile image88

H C Palting (Express10) says

• backporchstories profile image

backporchstories 4 years ago

I see and understand your thoughts, however, as a parent, I have given up pay and time to care for my children when they are sick. It is simply a responsibility and a way of life. My children healed faster knowing momma or their father was there!

Becky Katz profile image85

Becky Katz says

• backporchstories profile image

backporchstories 4 years ago

I agree with you that there are a good deal of us who do take that responsibility and I pray my children will fall in that category.

Goodpal profile image87

Goodpal says

Attikos profile image78

Attikos says

Amethystraven profile image81

Amethystraven says

• backporchstories profile image

backporchstories 4 years ago

They gave my mother 6 months and thanks to being able to remain home with the support of my father, hospice and us siblings, she lasted 3 more years and was smiling and still quick witted until the last day!

onegoodwoman profile image82

onegoodwoman says

• backporchstories profile image

backporchstories 4 years ago

It seems that way! We are so neglecting a great resource of wisdom from our Elders.

glmclendon profile image60

glmclendon says

Leaderofmany profile image61

Leaderofmany says

0

erickcb says

• backporchstories profile image

backporchstories 4 years ago

You are so right....such treasures lay in the Elders!