alloporus profile image 61

What do you think of the proposal to ditch fossil fuel subsidies in the US?

At first I thought it was 1 April, but it would seem that there is a genuine proposal to do away with fossil fuel subsidies saving the US government billions.

jonnycomelately profile image86

Alan (jonnycomelately) says

• Larry Wall 4 years ago

I get unemployment benefits. I have to apply to three different employers each week to qualify. Is that welfare? No it is unemployment ins. that employers pay. A program, Medicaid, is used to help the poor with medical bills, welfare or compassion?

MikeNV profile image77

MikeNV says

• Larry Wall 4 years ago

I just found a reference on the Web from Business Week Magazine. Exxon, the article said, spent $400 billion in the last fiscal year. They made $442 billion. That is about a 10 percent return. Not really excessive by any standard.

Attikos profile image80

Attikos says

• Larry Wall 4 years ago

Does this mean you would want to eliminate the individual tax deductions we take for mortgage industry, contributions, and other items. Eliminating tax breaks, means that to offset those breaks, the additional cost will be passed on to the consumer.

Doc Snow profile image97

Doc Snow says

• Larry Wall 4 years ago

Before going after oil, how about looking at farming, ethanol and other industries. There are only a few subsidies unique to oil. For example ind. producers get an oil depletion allowance. This is like the depreciation deduction businesses take.

0

Larry Wall says