Billie Kelpin profile image 90

What does the phrase "owe to the man" mean to you?

Various songs throughout recent American history have alluded to the phrase: "owe to the man". The folk song, "Sixteen Tons," written by a coal miner and made popular byTennessee Ernie Ford in the 50s used the phrase: "another day older and deeper in debt; St. Peter don't ya call me 'cuz I can't go. I owe my sould to the company's store" referring to the practices of paying miners in vouchers that could only be used in the company's store, etc. Workers lived in the company owned dorms which created a bondage that was broken only by strikes. What does this phrase mean to you in modern-day USA.

christalluna1124 profile image76

christalluna1124 says

Miller2232 profile image60

Sinclair Miller III (Miller2232) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

M, thanks! No right/wrong to this ques! I realized when I included that phrase elsewhere, it had different meaning to different people. For me "pay the piper," is more of paying what you owe, whereas the other, to me, implies "the man" was unjust.

VinesWritings profile image59

Mister E (VinesWritings) says

• Billie Kelpin profile image

Billie Kelpin 3 years ago

V, WHOA! I have to look up half of these agencies - love your point abt the need to be skeptical. In a way then, HP, since it allows this type of sharing, is "alternative media". Sounds like you might follow Pacifica Radio. Ian Masters ROCKS!