KatyWhoWaited profile image 82

What happened to Vietnam era young men who fled the country as conscientious objectors?

Many conscientious objectors during the Vietnam War fled to Canada and other countries as a matter of conscience. I'm wondering what happened to them? Did most return to the US after the war? Did they become activists in other ways? I have a friend whose husband was a conscientious objector and joined the Peace Corps and worked in Thailand and Malaysia for several years. His son grew up to join the Peace Corps as well and the whole family is active in fighting for social justice. I'm wondering about the hundreds of others.

must65gt profile image80

must65gt says

• Ericdierker profile image

Eric Dierker (Ericdierker) 3 years ago

I enlisted and got rejected. No I was a perfect candidate, but waiting to become 18 the war got ended. So there was a freeze on new recruits. I really appreciate those who serve, but I am glad life worked out the way it did.

Brett Winn profile image87

Brett Winn says

• GwennyOh profile image

GwennyOh 3 years ago

September 16th, 1974 was when President Ford issued a conditional amnesty to 'draft dodgers'. On January 21st, 1977, President Carter issued a full and unconditional amnesty to these individuals.

To refuse to take part in war is admirable.

Gawth profile image79

Ron Gawthorp (Gawth) says

KatyWhoWaited profile image82

KatyWhoWaited says

Chuck Bluestein profile image87

Chuck Bluestein says

0

GwennyOh profile image82

GwennyOh says

• Marquis profile image

Marquis 3 years ago

War is not the way? So who will stop the next Adolf Hitler?