savvydating profile image 85

Why decide on euthanasia, when palliative care relieves pain?

If palliative care relieves physical suffering, affirms life and regards dying as a normal and spiritual process, then why consider a "mercy killing?" Is it actually fear or depression that truly causes a person to want to die through assisted suicide? Euthanasia is defined as: "the intentional putting to death of a person with an incurable disease", or "intentionally causing death by not providing necessary and customary care, or food and water." Are we missing a spiritual component here or do you think that the euthanasia should be legal in the U.S.?

Best Answer P. Thorpe Christiansen (duffsmom) says

• savvydating profile image

savvydating 3 years ago

Thanks duffsmom. You are correct. Assisted suicide is legal in four states. Active euthanasia is illegal in all states. My question was improperly phrased. I apologize for my error...

• dashingscorpio profile image

dashingscorpio 3 years ago

I agree. Life is a personal journey. In the U.S. allow the death penalty and Pro-Choice and yet there are those who want to control what a person decides to do with their (own) life. It makes no sense. I really enjoyed the movie Million Dollar Baby

Billie Kelpin profile image89

Billie Kelpin says

• savvydating profile image

savvydating 3 years ago

Billie Kelpin,, I am so sorry for your losses, but I feel grateful somehow that you were there for your loved ones during their final days. The dying should always be given ample medication to die a natural, peaceful death; this is essential..

rose-the planner profile image85

rose-the planner says

• savvydating profile image

savvydating 3 years ago

Thanks,rose-the-planner. Good answer; it makes reasonable sense. As you said, I hope neither of us has to find ourselves in that dilemma.

• savvydating profile image

savvydating 3 years ago

Hi ChristinS. You may have jumped to conclusions. I hate pain, and I would not be able to tolerate it. I asked this question to learn more about other people's experiences.However, if I chose to live then I would hope my family would not blame me.

savvydating profile image85

savvydating says

ptosis profile image79

ptosis says

• savvydating profile image

savvydating 3 years ago

Thank you ptosis. These real life comments are valuable to me. I am sorry for the death of your honey.

Borsia profile image59

Borsia says

• savvydating profile image

savvydating 3 years ago

Thank you, Borsia. I am glad you are better, though I wish you didn't have to deal with pain. My aunt has terminal cancer. Before using morphine, she was in excruciating pain. Now she is lucid and pain free. She smiles, interacts and is at peace.