Goodpal profile image 87

I wonder why fighting wars take priority over fighting poverty?

Iraq / Afghan War "The U.S. wars in Afghanistan and Iraq will cost taxpayers $4 trillion to $6 trillion," reported The Washington Post, March 28, 2013 http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-03-28/world/38097452_1_iraq-price-tag-first-gulf-war-veterans In contrast, in 2010 the World Bank estimated 1.2 billion extreme poor in the world and the poverty gap to be only $169 billion on its $1.25 poverty line. Is multiplying human suffering more important than eliminating it?

Rock_nj profile image90

John Coviello (Rock_nj) says

• Goodpal profile image

Goodpal 3 years ago

The disproportionate high influence of a few in the running of a country is bad for the democracy. I really wonder which way the US is going by neglecting the social and infrastructure development and its own 15% poor people.

CraftytotheCore profile image98

CraftytotheCore says

• Goodpal profile image

Goodpal 3 years ago

Yes, it is certainly moving to see children suffer whether in Syria, Africa or in Bangladesh. How about the hardships of soldiers and their families? It appears that the virtues of human kindness and compassion have become irrelevant.

cfin profile image74

cfin says

• ChristinS profile image

Christin Sander (ChristinS) 3 years ago

Yep, this. If there was a nickel to be made helping people then it might be done, but wars are great for business. Sad but true.

kknde profile image60

kknde says

• Goodpal profile image

Goodpal 3 years ago

I fully agree with you. But don't you think that we should do something about this silly mindset? There should be more in the world than mere wars, insecurity, fear and conflicts propagated by greed of a few power hungry leaders.

someonewhoknows profile image28

someonewhoknows says

• Goodpal profile image

Goodpal 3 years ago

I think the simplest solution of poverty is economic development. Development is also the solution of over population. Wars are never a solution of anything; they are by nature always part of the problem - in my opinion.