jlpark profile image 89

Why do we 'despise' difference?

Since when did it become a bad thing to be different, and why do we strive to make others feel awful for being different to us? Particularly if they are a minority and do/are something we dislike? I'm curious.

d.william profile image85

Best Answer d.william says

• jlpark profile image

Jacqui (jlpark) 3 years ago

Thanks for your answer. You looked further into the question - which is what I was kinda looking for. It is disheartening - difference is what makes the world go round, makes life interesting...yet fear and hatred ruin that.

carlarmes profile image78

carlarmes says

• jlpark profile image

Jacqui (jlpark) 3 years ago

Most countries do celebrate it now, but you still get the vocal groups who make a lot of noise about something different - SSM debates etc seem to bring out the worst in people!. thanks for your answer

0

• jlpark profile image

Jacqui (jlpark) 3 years ago

THanks for you answer. I don't think despise is a bit harsh, it is exactly what I meant - disagreeing to the point of hatred is not mere disagreement. Anyway, I agree with the rest of this. Thanks for answering

0

cjarosz says

• jlpark profile image

Jacqui (jlpark) 3 years ago

Thanks for your answer. Very true - we are taught, by people who were taught before us. It takes one person to change the lesson we are teaching to change the world for those coming after us.