savvydating profile image 84

What do you think of the Senate's vote to eliminate all filibusters for most presidential nominees?

Is this decision good or balanced, or are we treading in murky waters? What's your opinion either way?

61

retief2000 says

• savvydating profile image

savvydating 3 years ago

relief2000, you hit the nail on the head. It is tyranny that we must fear. I believe it has already begun with this administration... and will only get worse.

61

tbHistorian says

• Larry Wall 3 years ago

I support Obamacare because without it I cannot buy insurance due to pre-existing health conditions. I was a newspaper reporter for 16 years, fought for open meetings, exposed a corrupt police chief and help change a system of gov't. Is that tyranny?

William15 profile image84

William (William15) says

• Larry Wall 3 years ago

You are absolutely correct and that is a good thing. The filibuster is a stalling tatic and never should have been allowed to stop the wheels of government. Now if we can stop "holds" on appointments by unidentified Senators we can move forward.

• savvydating profile image

savvydating 3 years ago

Hello junkseller. Bacharach is an unfortunate example. That being said, I am very, very sorry to see this system of checks and balances go by the wayside. Thank you for commenting.

suzettenaples profile image90

Suzette Walker suzettetaos (suzettenaples) says

• retief2000 3 years ago

Democrats blocked some highly qualified Bush nominees and when the Senate Republican majority contemplated this same tactic it was attacked by Barrack Obama and others as an unreasonable power grab. But they were Republicans so they were bad.

0

Larry Wall says

• savvydating profile image

savvydating 3 years ago

Hi Larry Wall. Thanks for dropping by. It seems the filibuster often delays the inevitable. I see it as a last resort tool of checks and balances, though it overused as of late. But removing it only widens the gap--now Senators will talk even less.