reinhardBeck profile image 81

Why is a multicultural society a good thing?

Besarien profile image85

Besarien says

• reinhardBeck profile image

Reinhard Beck (reinhardBeck) 21 months ago

what about if you belong to a small ethnic group (Laplander lets say). Wont a multicultural society swallow you up and destroy your culture and your identity. You might not want that. Do the Chinese benefit from eating burgers and watching Disney?

Tusitala Tom profile image88

Tom Ware (Tusitala Tom) says

• kbdressman profile image

kbdressman 22 months ago

You make a good point. Multicultural marriages, for example, can be hard because of the difficulties in blending both cultures in a way that's pleasing to both partners. The same idea would apply to larger groups of people as well.

liesl5858 profile image83

Linda Bryen (liesl5858) says

• reinhardBeck profile image

Isn't that the sticking point...blending. Do people really want to do that? I think people fear that "blending" means they have to give up something. An Indian living in the USA blends into US society and becomes less Indian. He might not like that.

cobrien profile image79

cobrien says

• reinhardBeck profile image

Really? knowledge of other people and their culture just gives you ammunition. I have a prejucide against group X. Now that I have learned about them I have the facts to back up my prejudice & I now have plenty of good reasons for hating group

kbdressman profile image92

kbdressman says

• reinhardBeck profile image

Or it gives you more reasons to dislike other cultures. I basically don't think the people like to get along and live and let live. Blood is thicker than water.