peeples profile image 87

Why is it so difficult to get disability in this country? (USA)

Even if your doctors say you are disabled the disability board brings in their own doctors who see you once and claim you are great. Why should someone have to fight for 2-4 years to get disability, struggling financially in the process, often losing everything they have while waiting for disability to decide later that you do actually need it?

ronbergeron profile image93

Ron Bergeron (ronbergeron) says

• peeples profile image

Peeples 17 months ago

I agree, but people with doctors who vouch for their disability should be approved on the first try. If the doctor commits fraud start punishing the docs, not the people needing help.

Kylyssa profile image93

Kylyssa Shay (Kylyssa) says

• peeples profile image

Peeples 17 months ago

Someone in a facebook group I am in for ppl with Lupus died waiting recently. She was even on Chemo, had lost all of her hair and was on her 3rd appeal. It's a sad situation. Homeless ppl is a good point. There has to be reform that can be done.

• peeples profile image

Peeples 17 months ago

I agree. I understand being cautious to eliminate fraud, but the system is so flawed it is ridiculous!

• peeples profile image

Peeples 17 months ago

Wheelchair example is exactly my point. Why not remove the docs provided by disability board docs, and go with the docs who have worked with the patient the longest and know that individuals limits? Waiting years makes no sense to me.

0

Kevin Goodwin says

• peeples profile image

Peeples 17 months ago

And the lawyer takes the money that is needed so badly after such a long wait.

0

Larry Wall says

• peeples profile image

Peeples 17 months ago

I get having to prove it, but if 2 reputable doctors (not family) who have been seeing a patient long term are willing to put in writing someone is 100% unable to work, then the state doc says you're fine, it's a slap in the face for those who can't.