Donald Trump's Political Views
Introduction to the Donald
President Donald Trump has been all over the news for his incendiary remarks about Russia, immigration, former President Obama, Democratic nominee Hilary Clinton, the state of the American economy, and his views on immigration, race relations, trade, climate change, and many others. Many people know him for his appearances on "the Apprentice" and his real estate company, which has gone through bankruptcy on multiple occasions, but is there any substance behind his high-profile media presence? Is he actually worth the billions of dollars he claims he is? This hub will attempt to take an unbiased look at Donald Trump's political views so interested voters can see what policies his administration may pursue over the next 4 years. Is he going to repeal ObamaCare? Start a trade war with China? Build a wall between Mexico in the United States and make Mexico pay for it? This hub will try to answer those questions.
Donald on the Issues
1. Budget Deficits and Taxes: Trump has been vocal about he sees as runaway budget deficits and growing issues with the total amount of government debt. During his speech announcing his run for President in June 2015, Trump stated "If we have another 3 or 4 years--we're at $8 trillion now--we're soon going to be at $20 trillion. According to the economists--who I'm not big believers in, but, nevertheless, this is what they're saying--that $24 trillion--we're very close--that's the point of no return. $24 trillion. We will be there soon. That's when we become Greece. That's when we become a country that's unsalvageable. And we're gonna be there very soon." Trump has also called for a much simpler tax code, writing in his 2011 book Time to Get Tough that the U.S. should implement a 1-5-10-15 plan, with all citizens paying 1% tax on income up to $30,000, 5 percent on incomes between $30,000-100,000, 10% on income between $100,000-$1,000,000, and 15% on income over $1,000,000. This tax plan seems to be inconsistent with Trump's warning about the federal deficit, as independent analysts have estimated that, if implemented, Trump's plan would "blow a multi-trillion dollar whole in the federal budget."
2. Health Care: Trump has been sharply critical of the Affordable Care Act (also known as Obamacare), calling it "a catastrophe that must be repealed and replaced." Trump has sharply criticized the Republican Party for failing to propose an alternative to Obamacare, stating in June 2015, "I am a Republican, and I am disappointed with our Republican politicians because they let our president get away with absolute murder." Interestingly, in 1999, Trump total reporters that he was in favor of universal health care, stating "I would put forward a comprehensive health care program and fund it with an increase in corporate taxes."
3. Global Warming and Environmental issues: Trump has strongly denied that global warming is occurring, sending a Tweet in January, 2014 which stated "This very expensive GLOBAL WARMING bull--it has got to stop. Our planet is freezing, record low temps,and our GW scientists are stuck in ice." Trump also expressed his disapproval of wind farms and other forms of alternative energy, telling Fox News "People are going crazy over the horrible, noisy, disgusting windmills. And they are horrible and a horrible intrusion, ruining communities, and solar is weak and has not been effective and is very, very expensive."
4. Foreign Policy: Trump has generally been critical of the nuclear deal President Obama reached with the Iranian government in July 2015, stating that he "would have walked way from the table." He has stated that President Obama is "the worst thing that ever happened to Israel." Trump has also been critical of President Bush's decision to invade Iraq, telling voters "I'm the only who said 'Don't do Iraq'" in a speech in July, 2015. At the 2013 Conservative Political Action Conference, Trump recommended the forcible appropriation of Iraqi's oil, stating "I say we should take it and pay ourselves back." Trump has also been sharply criticized for statements made about veterans. When appearing at the Family Leadership Summit in Ames, Iowa, in July 2015, Trump said of Senator and former GOP Presidential candidate John McCain (who spent many years as a POW during the Vietnam War): "He’s not a war hero...He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured."
5. Gay Rights: Trump has stated that he is "for traditional marriage" and that he personally believes marriage is between a man and a woman. Trump has not made many public statements about gay rights laws on topics related to employment and domestic partner benefits.
6. Immigration Policy: Trump has been especially outspoken about immigration. During his campaign launch speech, he stated that "When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists....It's coming from more than Mexico. It's coming from all over South and Latin America, and it's coming probably--probably--from the Middle East. But we don't know. Because we have no protection and we have no competence, we don't know what's happening. And it's got to stop and it's got to stop fast." In order to stop this supposed influx of criminals, Trump stated that "I would build a great wall, and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me, and I'll build them very inexpensively, I will build a great, great wall on our southern border. And I will have Mexico pay for that wall."
7. Education: Trump has called for cutting the "Department of Education way, way, down" and has called the recently implemented Common Core standards "a disaster." Trump has not offered much details on how his education plans would differ besides stating "It should be local and all of that."
What do you think?
Will Donald be a good president?See results without voting
More Political Hubs
- Hilary Clinton's Political Views
A look at the political views of former Senator and Secretary of State Hilary Clinton, who lost the 2016 election to President Trump. How do her views stack up to the Donald?
- Republican Presidential Candidates 2016
A look at the other candidates who ran for the GOP Presidential nomination in 2016? Why did they fall to the Donald juggernaut?
- Ted Cruz's Political Views
Curious about the political views of Texas Senator Ted Cruz? This hub provides an unbiased look at the views of the unsuccessful presidential candidate.
- Bernie Sanders' Political Views
An unbiased look at the political views of Democratic Presidential Candidate and Senator Bernie Sanders. Does he have a chance to take down Hilary in 2016? Find out if you feel the Bern!
- Marco Rubio's Political Views
An unbiased look at Florida Senator Marco Rubio's political views. How does he compare to Donald on the issues?
- Ben Carson's Political Views
The political views of surgeon and former GOP Presidential candidate Ben Carson. How do his views compare to other leading politicians?
- Jeb Bush's Political Views
A look at the political views of former Florida Governor and unsuccessful Republican Presidential candidate Jeb Bush, who the Donald took down with a number of cutting attacks during the campaign.
- Bobby Jindal's Political Views
A summary of the political views of Lousiana Governor and former Presidential candidate Bobby Jindal. Is he a potential VP pick if Donald wins the nomination?
- Rick Santorum's Political Views
An unbiased look at former Senator and former GOP presidential candidate Rick Santorum's political views. Could he be even crazier than Trump?
- Chris Christie's Political Views
An unbiased look at the political positions of New Jersey governor and former GOP Presidential candidate Chris Christie. Could he team up with the Donald as a Vice Presidential nominee to try and take down Bernie or Hilary in 2016?
More by this Author
A look at the political views of current Democratic presidential nominee Hilary Clinton. How does she stacks up to Donald on the issues?
A look at the political views of current Arizona Senator and former Presidential candidate John McCain.
An unbiased look at the political positions of current presidential candidate Mitt Romney. This site includes a summary of his positions on the key issues that will decide the 2012 presidential election.