jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Long term effects

1. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 4 years ago

I read this article

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_162-5 … influence/

I found it interesting how he is managing his nation and others feel he's the cause of their problems. What do you think the long term effects of his nation will be with everything, near, practically, free?

1. Ralph Deeds profile image69
      Ralph Deedsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Qatar's citizens' wealth is built almost entirely on oil rather than industriousness and virtue. This makes me wonder what will happen when the oil is depleted. The history of Detroit which was over-dependent on its oligopoly of car and truck production. Now that foreign imports and transplants have broken the oligopoly Detroit is a disaster area. Venezuela and Saudi Arabia are examples of oil dependent countries. Neither is a paragon of democracy.

2. junkseller profile image91
      junksellerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If they are smart, which they seem to be, they will use their wealth to build future economies based around renewable energy and sustainable development. Masdar City is a perfect example. It's in the UAE, not Qatar, but it is an entire city built to be sustainable and also contains the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology, which is a graduate level university focusing on renewable energy and sustainable development. There's no reason Qatar couldn't undertake similar projects.

Qatar has just put up money to build a $1.1 billion polysilicon production plant. http://cleantechnica.com/2012/05/31/sol … con-plant/ and there are other examples of their interest in renewable energy.

The Middle East is really a great place to develop and deploy solar technologies because of, obviously, the amount of sun they get. They also have an enormous surplus of unemployed youth. If done right, I see no reason why countries like Qatar couldn't become at least regional leaders, if not world leaders, in solar technologies.

Kind of funny if they can build this future economy by selling fossil fuels to countries that refuse to move forward (like us).

2. Dame Scribe profile image60

Hi Ralph smile that's what I was wondering too. What will happen when it runs out? he gets over run? I think as a leader, he has his heart in the right place for his people but there's got to be a long term plan for sure. Hope he's got other projects in the works or least investigating prospective idea's to not be oil dependent smile

1. Jed Fisher profile image88
      Jed Fisherposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Astounding at first, but really it’s something we see around us every day. We see families succeeding with one wage-earner providing for the rest. That country is governed as though it were a family.
      We’re accustomed to an economic system where our most basic instincts of greed and fear control us. We expect to have to struggle, to work hard, to achieve anything and within that thought process we expect those more fortunate to use their advantage against us and we see that as fair.
      But a country run as a family, with an entirely different definition of compensation that transcends the concept of money, allows those people to transcend greed and fear. What happens long-term? Sharing, enjoying the company of others, the value of intellectual capital flourishing when people use their brains for something other than scheming to make money, certainly that can continue long after their oil is gone.

3. Dame Scribe profile image60

To transcend and rise above the greed etc., that arises, maybe. Knowledge could be gained if the education is mandatory and available for all his citizens and not just the few. Knowledge can take one's imagination and creativity to many levels. I think it's a interesting path he's chosen and definitely would be a test of strength, for all, to survive without dependence. I do love how he's using their nations' wealth to educate his people and care for them. A great person indeed. I just hope there's long term plans though to survive for all those in his nation.

4. Dame Scribe profile image60

I'm just curious if they can meet, match and grow the same monies, gained from their oil- with other sources. Wealth shouldn't be dependent on just one resource but on several, to maintain a economy.

5. Dame Scribe profile image60

Now, that's really great, hopefully he's really going to move his nation forward in a most fantastic way. Science and technology would be a excellent start and yes, lol all that sun should be harnessed and put to good use. I agree also with that lack of our own nations not moving forward tongue except for the few (like for the rich) hmm