jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (14 posts)

This is a very disappointing America

1. t.keeley profile image85
    t.keeleyposted 8 years ago

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steven-sh … 50933.html

This link says it all. Hope to God we aren't going to fall into our own hell in the next generation. I figure this is what mindless capitalist-consumerism does to people after a few years...

2. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 8 years ago

Tell me this is satire. Please.

3. t.keeley profile image85
    t.keeleyposted 8 years ago

It might be, but as far as I can tell it's true. It'd be awfully harsh to use an auto worker as an example in satire, though, so I'm more than 99% sure this is real. This is why, after 23 years of celebrating Christmas, I've decided not to this year. I work with mindless drones who simply want to buy, buy buy and be rich, rich, rich. All in a society that feels it's superior to everyone else's and yet WE CAN"T EVEN FIND OUR COUNTRY ON A MAP OF OUR COUNTRY!!!!!

W---T---F

4. kerryg profile image89
    kerrygposted 8 years ago

It's tagged "satire" and "political satire," so I'm devoutly hoping that's what it is!

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 8 years ago in reply to this

the author:

"Steven Shehori (shehori@gmail.com) is a Canadian Comedy Award-winning writer and 10-time nominee. After 7 years as a senior news, political and comedy writer for Naked News, he’s more recently served as a senior comedy writer for The Hour with George Stroumboulopoulos (Canada's late-night talk show), and for 8 national award shows. More of his comedy writing is available at his self-serving vanity web site www.StevenShehori.com. Recent TV appearances as an actor, stand-up comic & pundit include MuchMusic's Video on Trial and Stars Gone Wild, MuchMoreMusic's Listed, and the Comedy Network's Punched Up."

5. Mighty Mom profile image91

Still, if there wasn't at least a germ of truth in it there'd be no reason to satirize it. It's not completely outside the realm of possibility. Let's not forget our Republican vice presidential nominee thought Africa was a country -- and to me, Africa is a much more recognizable shape than America:-).

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Oh, I'm sure there's more than a germ, but it's not quite that bad . . . yet. And I guess people will continue to misinterpret Palin's Africa quote.

2. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image59
      VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Expecting something which she (vice presidential nominee) does not know is not her fault.  But I regret to read that you place your America below Africa. 
      Challenging times may come and go.   But I hope your America will once again gallop into the international affairs more than ever before.  (Because you have the responsibility to safeguard your fatherland Britain.)

6. Mighty Mom profile image91

I did not intend in any way to put America below Africa. It was a little joke referring to inability to recognize continents by their shape. America has a very recognizable shape as does Africa. The key is that Africa is a continent, not a single country (which America is). And there is some question as to whether Mrs. Palin knew that.
    Do I or the American people expect our vice presidential candidate to have every answer? Of course not. Do we expect them to have a basic understanding of the issues impacting our country? Yes, we do. And that really does include an ability to locate friend and foe countries on a map.
    Sorry, but I think we had reasonable expectations for Sarah Palin and she did not meet them because she's NOT qualified to be Veep of our country. Cheers, MM

7. Mighty Mom profile image91

I did not intend in any way to put America below Africa. It was a little joke referring to inability to recognize continents by their shape. America has a very recognizable shape as does Africa. The key is that Africa is a continent, not a single country (which America is). And there is some question as to whether Mrs. Palin knew that.
    Do I or the American people expect our vice presidential candidate to have every answer? Of course not. Do we expect them to have a basic understanding of the issues impacting our country? Yes, we do. And that really does include an ability to locate friend and foe countries on a map.
    Sorry, but I think we had reasonable expectations for Sarah Palin and she did not meet them because she's NOT qualified to be Veep of our country. Cheers, MM

8. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 8 years ago

"(Because you have the responsibility to safeguard your fatherland Britain.)" Is that your fatherland as well?

1. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image59

No. Britain is not my fatherland. But my India was once ruled by Britain... till 1947.  They brought modern education, a broader outlook on world affairs and changed the Indian lifestyle to a great extent.  Their occupation made us a unified nation which was needed for over a thousand years... !    We owe them very much.

9. pylos26 profile image76
    pylos26posted 8 years ago

wow...wow...modernism, lifestyle and changes to India...but what a hell of a price you paid!!!

1. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image59

The "price" you refer to is common here.  We have learnt to live with it. But it is less than a millionth part of our history.. 

By the way, for you specially, this day, 16th December, (in 1971),  a free Bangladesh was created by India after a 14-day war with Pakistan.  Around 93 thousand Pakistani soldiers surrendered to Indian army in Bangladesh.   Around 10 million Bangladesh refugees were enabled to return to their homeland from India.  A great political upheaval occurred in Pakistan... military rule ended and democratic rule under Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto was established.

When compared to this, the price we are paying is not worthy of mentioning.

But the mouse is playing again and again on the lion.... only to perish in the end.

working