Illinois Dems violate flag code on Independence Day.

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (61 posts)
  1. JSChams profile image61
    JSChamsposted 11 years ago

Here's the story:

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government … ndence-Day

Are we really surprised given the President and First Lady had already publicly shown their derision for the flag?

1. profile image0
      JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The American Bumper-Flag!

I was a boy scout, and developed a strong sense of patriotism at a young age. Now, seeing elected officials not show respect for the flag just drives me crazy.

JSChamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well I have already been informed in another forum that we place too much importance on flags.

1. profile image0

Yeah, I've heard that before, but the simple fact is that the flag is a symbol. How you feel about the symbol is how you feel about the thing.

Another simple fact is that when people stop caring about or being proud of their country, they lose control of it.

Oh I agree. Did you ever see the video of Barack and Michelle discussing a flag ceremony when they didn't know they were being taped?

Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJgWMI0hch8

2. profile image0
        Onusonusposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was a scout and they taught me some basics about the flag that have stuck with me through my life, especially the way it should be folded. I always cringe when I see Navy guys screwing that one up at work.

1. profile image0

Yeah, I know. I was never taught 'You shouldn't use the flag as a bumper on your car' in scouts, but I can still tell that it's the wrong thing to do.

Not that it surprises me, respect is disappearing.

2. Josak profile image59
      Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is seriously the dumbest thing I have read today, I get respecting the flag but following a set of obscure rules has nothing to do with patriotism I didn't even know about the glad being draped over the vehicle rule, there was obviously no harm or disrespect intended and an effort was made to fix it when they found out, no big deal.

1. profile image0

Come on. Yes, there are obscure rules, but taping the flag to your bumper? Have some common sense. I knew how to treat the flag with respect when I was 7.

Maybe if you loved America more you would care more about its symbols.

1. Josak profile image59

HAHAHA that's a very even measure isn't it? it's completely meaningless as to how much you like America, it's the kind of blind patriotism that has led to so many evil acts in the name of a country. Patriotism is shown through acts and how one treats their fellow citizens not by blind wrote obedience of obscure rules.

You have no idea how I feel about the US nor do you have ANY right to comment on it, a US backed government with US support and operatives killed my entire family and most of my best friends even my adopted father was tortured by being strapped to a steel bed and electrocuted for so long that the grill marks of the bed were still on his back when he died decades later and he had to learn to walk all over again, that was done by a CIA agent. His fiance was kidnapped, gang raped for weeks, tortured and then drowned in a barrel of human feces, then her body was dumped from a helicopter at sea so her family would never have a chance to bury her properly, that was done with the aid of several American operatives, and it was done because she was handing out anti governemnt leaflets.

I forgave the US for all that and moved here to be with my wife, I had a family here and I pay my taxes, I have every reason to hate this country and I don't, I love it and it's people, that is what makes a good citizen, in fact it makes me a better American then you will ever be.

1. Will Apse profile image88
            Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Every country has its share of evil. The US has a better record of checking the worst abuses than most but whenever this 'my country right or wrong' attitude gains ascendancy, evil is rampant.

I am saddened to hear of your experiences.

2. Manly Man profile image60
            Manly Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just curious, where did you live before coming to the U.S.?

3. Quilligrapher profile image73
      Quilligrapherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi there, JSC. Great link! Thanks for posting.

Ignorance about flag courtesy is hardly treason and the OP statement comes across as a petty jab at what is certainly not intentional disrespect. But, ignorance is not limited to Democrats, JSC, is it? Take, for example, the Texas Republican Party's 2012 Platform approved and adapted in Fort Worth on June 8, 2012. On page 13, under “Educating our Children,” the Texas GOP attacks the teaching of critical thinking skills. “We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.” (1)

It seems, in Texas, Republicans favor dumbing down students. This position is being taken at a time when a national science assessment suggests that most U.S. students struggle with the reasoning skills needed to investigate multiple variables, make strategic decisions, and explain experimental results. (2)

I think this country would be better off if all students knew more about flag etiquette and a lot more about analytical thinking. What do you think?

(1) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/2 … 32097.html
      (2) http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsid … tml?ref=hp

Thanks for the info:

You  know I have been taken to task for using sites like The Blaze for links.
        I feel the same way about the Huffington Post.

1. Quilligrapher profile image73

Hi again, JSC. I am somewhat confused by your reply. 

I did not mention The Blaze and The Huffington Post did not come out against teaching critical thinking in Texas schools. (1) The quotation opposing higher order thinking skills and similar programs was taken from page 12 of the Texas Republican Party's 2012 Platform approved and adapted at the state convention in Fort Worth on June 8, 2012.

I wanted to provide other links to media outlets with a conservative bent but I could not find one that covered the story. sad

(1) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/2 … 32097.html

What does that have to do with my forum?

4. twosheds1 profile image60
      twosheds1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're also not supposed to fly it after dark, but that doesn't stop the vast majority of flag-displayers. But perhaps if we gave up the flag fetish people wouldn't feel compelled to violate flag etiquette.

2. bn9900 profile image71
    bn9900posted 11 years ago

Im originally from Illinois and honestly am not surprised.  Democrats violate everything.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The Republicans are not any better. roll

3. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

I remember when the Democratic Party actually represented the people. They displayed no flags. The flag was always the Republican Party, like flags every twenty feet on used car lots. I have noticed the more the flag is displayed, like lapels and whatnot, the more fascist the country becomes. Kind of like the bible, heaven or hell.

Oh....
      So burning them all would be a good idea???

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Very true.

3. Reality Bytes profile image73
      Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You know it has nothing to do with a desire to see flags everywhere.. it has to do with respect, which apparently no one here right or left any longer has.

1. Reality Bytes profile image73
          Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I maintain a U.S. flag on private property, it is actually a big responsibility.  I pull it down every night and run out there in the rain to do the same.

My vid post was just to show that this nation is heading down the fascist path!

2. Wizard Of Whimsy profile image60
          Wizard Of Whimsyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your assumptions are just incorrect.  I'm a veteran and I display the American flag proudly on all of the appropriate days.  Nevertheless, there have been awful things done under this banner and not everyone feels nationalistic jingoism has anything to do with wanting to keep America from making those same mistakes. 

Stop the simplistic assumptions and you might grow in your awareness.

Ah.....you know I myself am a veteran an display the flag.

Am i supposed to be ashamed of my country?

1. Wizard Of Whimsy profile image60

No, that's not what I implied.  You can be proud of your country when it does good and still be critical of it when it doesn't.  You can love it and support it, but you can't mindlessly accept all of its actions as just and good just  because you love it. In fact, if you love it you should strive to improve it.

It's not either you  love it or you hate it.

4. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

Personally I am glad the flag does not tell me how to think. If it did I would have loved the Nazi flag.

5. colpolbear profile image92
    colpolbearposted 11 years ago

As an Eagle Scout, I've been a part of numerous parades and ceremonies involving the flag.  I have always been surprised at one specific observation:  veterans mishandle the flag all the time.  Of course, they do not mean to do it, but it still happens.  My point is that as long as a person's intentions and actions are good, they should be able to make a few unintentional and harmless mistakes.  Just as a veteran mishandling the flag does not negate his service, a politician mishandling does not negate his policies and resume.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59
      Ron Montgomeryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A very thoughtful, even handed response....

Now get out of here!!!  mad

6. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 11 years ago

I can understand the symbolism of patriotism and pride regarding those elements or emblems which reflects how a country, nation views itself. Yet and still the symbol such as the flag is a reflection of the people.

We concern ourselves about this or about that regarding the flag when I see a lack of patriotism on American's roadways. Tailgating Americans down the road, road rage on the roads, acting like the ugly American at having to wait in line, complaining of political figures while doing nothing else.

If the American flag is to have a place of pride in our country than those of us who live under that flag should be providing the status that makes the statement for all to see why this flag is so endearing to it people.

7. bn9900 profile image71

Why do you feel that way about Huffington Post?  I couldn't find "the blaze" you are speaking of? If it anything like the Huffington, then you shouldn't have a problem with Huffington as they are both the same.  I feel that the only conservative news TRUE conservative news is on the web any more. I can't trust mainstream Media as that is 100% liberal spin and cater to the liberal agenda, maybe that is why you had a problem, because people are just tired the liberal fodder thats being put out over the airwaves.
    Media is so lopsided it's plain scary, and when Obama tells a business to turn off Fox News, the only conservative network, then it tells me that he doesn't want to hear the truth. If it had been CNN obama would not have said word one.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
      MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There really shouldn't be a conservative news and a liberal news.  The fact that you acknowledge such a difference yet still consider one side to be "true" indicates that you likely are being propagandized willingly.  True news shouldn't have an opinion.

8. junkseller profile image80
    junksellerposted 11 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6866512_f248.jpg

1. bn9900 profile image71
      bn9900posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wonder if that was a misstep or planned?

Ever hear of Photoshop?

1. junkseller profile image80
          junksellerposted 11 years agoin reply to this
  9. bn9900 profile image71

You are correct there shouldn't be a bias one way or another, but  there is.  I never said that I believe, one side or another, (media wise)I just said that there is no decent conservative news on mainstream media.  If only CNN would be non bias, I would believe them more, but because I do not, and I do not trust FOX either, then I have to go online.  And if I watch CNN then Huffington post is the other I have to read.
    I am not being "propagandized willingly" I have my own feelings, and do lean towards conservative thoughts, always have, even as a child.

10. junkseller profile image80
    junksellerposted 11 years ago

Here's another classic:

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6867202_f248.jpg

11. phion profile image61
    phionposted 11 years ago

This picture of Sarah is definitely more repulsive than the types of images gathered from OWS.

12. bn9900 profile image71

What do you think of american flag bikini clad women then?

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6867647_f248.jpg

Need I say more?

1. profile image0

Whoa, I thought that was just a photoshop job...

That definitely takes the cake. My favorite part of the story is this:

"It leads me to believe that it's not about the flag," she told FoxNews.com. "Certain elements cannot accept Barack Obama as president."

Yeah, I'm sure racism is the only reason anyone would be upset with putting someone's face on the flag and displaying it. Heck, that's why all us white folk have been flying Bush flags for the last 4 years...

1. Josak profile image59

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6867834_f248.jpg

1. profile image0

And what exactly is that supposed to be? That's not an actual flag.

2. bn9900 profile image71

flying "bush" flags never seen one of those care to post a pic?

1. profile image0

I haven't either, I was being sarcastic.

2. junkseller profile image80
        junksellerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6867905_f248.jpg

1. profile image0

Yup, that's a stupid thing to do too.

13. Wayne Brown profile image79
    Wayne Brownposted 11 years ago

The lower flag says it all, sadly.

Agreed  notice how we don't see this on the news?  Thats because the liberal media is covering up for obama and the Democrats.

14. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 11 years ago

This has downgraded to possibly the dumbest argument I've ever seen on these boards... so here is a woman in a bikini to top it off...

I wonder whether she is a liberal or a conservative... I'm sure either way it's fine for her to have part of the flag barely covering her crotch.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6868157.jpg

1. Manly Man profile image60
      Manly Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Works for me!

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6870142_f248.jpg

15. bn9900 profile image71

Melissa-I only even brought that up because Sarah Palin was only leaning on it and there was a big stink about it, so I was just curious about what people would think about the flag bikini clad women, since the flag is only touching her womanly parts.

16. Wizard Of Whimsy profile image60
    Wizard Of Whimsyposted 11 years ago

Petty thoughts occupy petty minds.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6868372_f1024.jpg

I wonder how many americans these companies employ , Millions I assume

And I wonder how many people in the world they exploit—billions I would assume.

17. Wizard Of Whimsy profile image60
    Wizard Of Whimsyposted 11 years ago

The Cowardly Lions of Free Speech . . .

http://billmoyers.com/segment/bill-moye … ee-speech/

1. Quilligrapher profile image73

http://billmoyers.com/segment/bill-moye … ee-speech/
      A great link, Wiz. Thanks for sharing it with us.
      Q.

http://home.comcast.net/~wizardofwhimsy/headpass.gif

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)