Native Indian Medicineman, should be exempt from drug testing for pot?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (16 posts)
  1. backporchstories profile image74
    backporchstoriesposted 11 years ago

In most of the Native American Medicine community, it is common place for a medicine man to use marijuana in ceremony.  Do not misunderstand this statement!  This does not mean every Native American Indian is smoking pot in his sacred pipe!  I am talking about those who work with the medicine in healing of both body and mind.  Marijuana is considered a sacred herb used for healing and ceremony to commune closer to the Creator. These types of people often live humble and offer their services at no charge, because that is the way the Creator has instructed them.  It is a hard life!  With money being a neccessary evil in our exisitence today, these medicine people will seek out jobs.  Should they be exempt from drug testing of mudane drugs like marijuana?

1. Mr. Happy profile image71
      Mr. Happyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The Medicine Man is free and not bound by this three dimensional perspective. The medicine man can go through airports with sacred power objects which no customs official can touch. Of course, there is paper work to be done first, otherwise everyone can just claim they are a medicine man/woman.

So, yes in my opinion the medicine man does not abide by regular customs and laws. The medicine man takes his/her laws from the Spirit World and Mother Earth. He/she walks in Truth and can use whatever Mother Earth gives to him/her, in order to perform his/her duties.

The pipe can hold many things, depending on the need, from the sacred tabacco to the herb of wisdom (marijuana). It is done for healing and in the quest to gain knowledge and power.

Such is my understanding. I wish everyone well.

May Wakan Tanka guide us All!

2. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 11 years ago

Unfortunately, they should not.  Everyone is equal out there?  Then we should all be held to the same standard whether we're working or collecting welfare.

IMO.

3. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

Good question. I support ending prohibition on drugs altogether.  But, if an individual wants to gain employment, he/she must consent to abide by the rules of the employer.  We are all equal under Law, if one individual becomes exempt, all individuals will be exempt.  I do not think anyone that has mind altering substances in their system, legal or not,  should be able to drive school buses for example.

This is a tricky scenario in my opinion because marijuana can stay in one's fatty tissue for an extremely long time. Thus, one can detect traces of marijuana even after months and months but would that person still be mentally affected by it, after that much time has passed?

When we speak about mind altering substances, there are many things to take in consideration: the metabolism of a person, their tolerance, their age, the strength and potency of the substance, etc. And it is very difficult for people who have not tried a drug to start giving their opinions about it - here-say does not work that well because most people begin to indulge in all sorts of fears.

So, if I smoke marijuana today - do You think my driving ability will be questionable in a week? I do not think so and I can prove this if necessary. To each their own ...

Although, I agree with what You are saying. I do not think many jobs can have people around, under any sort of influence. Then again, if You are a painter or a musician ... who really cares if the drummer in a band has smoked a joint in any particular day and then he/she shows-up for a gig- I think it would depend on the performance ...

"The truth is rarely pure and never simple." - Oscar Wilde

backporchstoriesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I do not mean for medicineman to be stoned at work.  He uses medicine in its proper place and time with respect.

4. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 11 years ago

When are we talking about testing?
    If the medicine man wants to be, say, a pilot, well smoking weeds seems like something a pilot should be willing to sacrifice if they want that job since they will be asking others to trust them with their lives (talking commercial pilots here). Then again, so should anyone, for a job like that smile
    I also wonder, can I become a medicine man?
    Can I prove that my spiritual sense of responsibility will prevent me from being 'stoned' when doing a job where I could cause harm by being impaired (like driving)? I ask because this is the reason I would give for giving exemption from most pot testing to a medicine man, I do think they would be very very responsible for when they commune with the spirits so that they are not also doing something potentially dangerous.

"Can I prove that my spiritual sense of responsibility will prevent me from being 'stoned' when doing a job where I could cause harm by being impaired (like driving)?" - Yes, You can. With time, a medicine man builds an aura of healing, calmness and knowledge. A medicine man does no harm, otherwise he or she would not be considered a medicine man/woman. That is why I wrote in my original comment that medicine men and women can walk through airports and cross borders without any custom official touching their sacred power objects. One may say, what if there is a weapon hidden or what if the medicine man uses his staff, ceremonial dagger or such things to injure others? Again, one would not be a medicine man/woman if they were to harm others.

We put our trust in marshalls to carry guns on planes, don't we? So, there are many exceptions in Life.

"I do think they would be very very responsible for when they commune with the spirits so that they are not also doing something potentially dangerous." - I think You nailed the point here. : )

Cheers!

P.S. With respect, faith and devotion anyone can become a Hunter of Knowledge and eventually a Man of Knowledge. This in response to the question of whether You can become a Medicine Man.

backporchstoriesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your words.  To become a medicine man is more than knowledge, though a great deal of it aids in the healing.  As medicine people the healing is done by the Creator and the people are the hollow bone.

Yes. I agree hence, I mentioned the need for faith and devotion. : )

You put it quite clearly though.

Thank You and all the very best!

P.S. I love your question to begin with - food for thought is always good in my opinion.

5. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 11 years ago

I am a recognized Medicine Dreamer of the Iroqouis Nation. The herb was the first present, given on the day of creation to all of us by the Great Spirit. No one has the right to regulate or control it.

1. kirstenblog profile image79
      kirstenblogposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+1

6. kathyjones1952@at profile image61
    kathyjones1952@atposted 11 years ago

I agree with Motown2chitown.  No one should be exempt.

7. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 11 years ago

No one should be "exempt"  from testing in the American workplace , medicine man or pilot ,  Drugs , including pot are illegal substances. Affecting  everything from safety to just plain good judgement . Medicine man !  That will be the latest craze for pot heads.

8. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 11 years ago

When I said 'all of us', did I leave someone out? Here in Oregon, as in some other places, we have medical pot, prescribed by a doctor, regulated by the state, yet, you can still be denied a job if your U.A. shows marijuana. As for testing...why are our legislators exempt? Judges, lawyers, COPS! POTUS? There is already a double standard.

9. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 11 years ago

Politician , Judge , juror , cop everybody ! or no one !

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)