Aurora's Horror and Someone's less than thoughtful rationale.

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (17 posts)
  1. jmicchael1a profile image60
    jmicchael1aposted 11 years ago

Louie Gohmart claimed that the horror of Aurora, Colorado was a product of people turning away from Judeo-Christian beliefs. Attacking these beliefs were his words.

Then he rambles on wondering why there was no one in a conceal carry state available to pull their weapon and stop the assailant. Citing in his remarks that in Tyler, Texas a family dispute turned ugly and that a shooter confronted, abandoned his assault because a brave soul pulled his gun and fired upon the perpetrator. The result was the brave soul was killed but died a hero.

Let's consider this, one deranged gunman already wrecking havoc by gunfire and percussion to be opposed by another armed individual firing at the assailant in the middle of this chaos. WOW. What could go wrong with that?

So my question is......
    What would Jesus' weapon of choice be in this scenario?

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
      Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Can you put a link to Louie Gohmart's comments (url to article or video) please?

I can't even comment on his comment because I don't know if he meant the victims were somehow to blame for turning away from Judeo-Christian beliefs or the gunman only or society for fostering the gunman (?)

Jesus would bring his trusty 38 special: A MIRACLE
      lol

jmicchael1aposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Here you go. My apologizes. I should have thought to do that.  I do not think he was being specific.  I believe his thoughts were a condemnation of the moral character of this nation. I don't agree with that. But that is for later. 
        Here is the URL
        http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/2 … r=Politics

2. ptosis profile image68
        ptosisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Jesus is back - and he is pissed!
        http://edge.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/2027506/81584519.jpg

I am deeply saddened by the whole thing in Aurora, and need time to  take it all in. I have certain theories. Such as What would happen if Armageddon happened and the infrastructure of society was now longer in place. It would be worse that a zombie apocalypse  where the bad guys were slow & stupid. With everybody off their medications all at once, would just go into a mass insanity akin to when the CIA dust-cropped LSD on Pont-Saint-Espirit in 1951

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6918192_f248.jpg

2. Xenonlit profile image60
      Xenonlitposted 11 years agoin reply to this
    3. JSChams profile image61
      JSChamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Jesus wouldn't need a weapon.

2. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 11 years ago

He would turn the gun into wine and drink it.

1. ptosis profile image68

Wine? Or a Mexican flag shooter?
      http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6743332_f260.jpg

3. jmicchael1a profile image60

If anyone misunderstands my individual take on GOP Congressman Gohmert's recent assessment of the gut wrenching calamity of Aurora. Please be sure to enjoy this offering from The National Memo....

http://www.nationalmemo.com/today-in-st … -colorado/

4. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

HuffPo link very helpful to frame the forum thread. Could not bring myself to watch the video on a full stomach.
    National Memo link offers useful commentary.

I went to investigate Rep. Gohmert's background. Thought he might have been part of the TP Class of 2005. The TP part is right, but he's been in office since 2005.
    roll

JSChams, I know you're unhappy with the error made on ABC mistaking the Aurora shooter with a Colorado Tea Party member of the SAME NAME. Honest mistake?

With or without that  that unfortunate reporting error, the Tea Party link seems indelible here.
    QUESTION: Why do ANY Tea Party crazies get ANY spotlight (media coverage) on this tragedy??

1. JSChams profile image61
      JSChamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mighty Mom it's something they go looking for. A mistake is a mistake yes but they did the same thing with Jared Loughner.

5. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 11 years ago

This Aurora shooter certainly needed to be stopped by any means necessary. Listening to the video I understand that people in Colorado are permitted to carry concealed weapons. It is sad that we have created a society to where carrying a gun has quickly become a necessity.

I further read that this Aurora shooter purchased 6000 rounds I venture to say this guy was not finished killing.

jmicchael1aposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi SpanStar. You are absolutely correct this individual would have left greater carnage than he did had there not been what I believe was a weapon failure. I was never sure why he discontinued his assault.
      I disagree with the conceal carry laws and law enforcement does as well. The very good reason for that is civilians are not trained and do not continuously train to properly use the weapon they can carry. We were very foolish to discontinue the assault weapon ban. A 100 round clip? Really Bambi is not that tough.

In AZ most who carry do it openly and a lot of stores has posted; 'No weapons', which include knives. Police are trained and should be able to carry at all times.

The weapons that Batman shooter had were not concealed - those are big guns - and the concealed weapon law has nothing to do with this situation.

The next movie is "Arrow" are we to ban compound bows?

With all due respect, the reason why no politico is calling for a gun ban is because talk of a gun ban spurs gun sales. Everybody and anybody with money goes out and buys a gun whenever this happens because of reactionary anti-gun people who go a little overboard with poor logic of connecting a huge gun that Batman carried unconcealed & concealed weapons laws.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/-GNzX_JOWYpU/UA9fUHoA_UI/AAAAAAAAUFc/a6uQ8rGscZM/image_thumb%25255B3%25255D.png

6. jmicchael1a profile image60

Thanks for dropping by Ptosis. You are correct. When politicians crank up the "gun-control" rhetoric, the knee jerk response of the paranoiac gun hugger is to ramp up the in house arsenal. God knows it must take more than two or a dozen100 round clipped assault weapons to defend yourself against your own government. Defense against a government take over being the popular rationale for owning an assault weapon. Nazi Germany is always the favored example when defending this nonsense. But I digress.

Your response makes me think you did not read my original post. If I am wrong, I apologize. The main issue was Representative Gohbert's suggestion that an armed patron at the movie theatre engaging "Penguin" in a gun battle might have altered the incident into a better outcome. I adamantly disagreed. This author did not reach an inappropriate conclusion about assault weapons with this post. I never addressed the issue.

I am thankful that you included a poster regarding Switzerland and its gun policy outcomes. However, the Switzerland story that your poster depicts is an incomplete representation of facts. The inference is, if USA citizens swung an assault weapon over their shoulder, they would be as safe as the Swiss. Here is the information this poster doesn't supply:

(1) Switzerland has no standing Army and conscripts citizens (men and women) for service in its militia.
    (2) Military and weapons training is significant and on going. 
    (3) The weapons are provided by the government.
    (4) After active duty, the weapon must be returned or modified to a semi-auto capability.
    (5) All military grade munitions are returned.

By providing us with this poster, are you suggesting assault weapon use by an American civilian with no training would be as well executed as a Swiss citizen handling the same weapon? If so, you are sorely mistaken. Wisely, you did not contradict my assertion that law enforcement does not believe concealed carry to be a best case option.

If the reader would like to read a comprehensive review of Switzerland's gun policy please go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politi … irculation

Great post. learned a bit about the Swiss., as you say, Swiss are trained , US are not. Perhaps we all should be certified for it when getting the permit. Like a driver's license.. In NYC, a NY gun license is no good. yet I would think that's a more dangerous place than upstate with the bears & cougars.

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
        Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not to mention the Hamptons.
        Crazy dangerous out there.
        Bigshots in big houses need big, big guns!
        lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)