jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

Pro Choice is not Pro Abortion

1. Havenite profile image59
    Haveniteposted 4 years ago

Personally I feel forcing someone to have an abortion they don't want to have is just as bad as forcing them to have a baby they don't want to have. Whilst in the west the issue is focused mainly on whether or not people should have the right to terminate a pregnancy or not, in places such as China with a one child policy people are commonly forced to have abortions they don't want to have.

The concept of pro choice is what it says on the tin, it is not a euphemism for pre-birth infanticide. Perhaps westerners who are aggressively anti-abortion should emigrate to China as perhaps their views might work to positive effect over there.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/ … 36,00.html

Pro-Life I feel however is a euphemistic statement seeing as the typical anti-abortion campaigner seems to only care about a being for the first nine months of its life and thinks nothing of the poverty it may be born into. Ultimately they are not born into much of a life. These people just call themselves pro life because it sounds nice. It does not accurately reflect their behaviour or attitude. The irony being if you could end poverty you could end a lot of the need for abortion. There's nothing pleasant about abortion but then there is nothing pleasant about rape or dire economic circumstances. Abortion is just frequently the best of two undesirable options.

I just wonder if it will ever sink into the right-wing anti-abortion movement that it is much of their behaviour and ideology that creates such a high demand for abortion in the first place. It is the right-wing politics that create poverty and the poverty in turn that creates the high demand for abortion.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I totally agree with your premise.    People who are "pro-life" are in essence "anti-life".   They claim that once a woman becomes pregnant, she should have the child whether she wants to or not.  That is totally anti-humanistic.   This is tantamount to abuse.    Having unwanted children is wrong.  Children who are unwanted by their parents are more likely to be abused and neglected.   No child should endure this.   Many people who are pro-life are quite myopic in their views.   However, I would like to add that the only person who should decide whether or not to have a child is the woman herself.  She has the ULTIMATE choice!   Thank you for putting out this post.  This is so greatly appreciated!

1. Havenite profile image59
        Haveniteposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thank you. Yes the point has to be emphasized that the truly pro choice movement does not glorify abortion it is just saying people have the right to choose what happens to their bodies.
        There are other forces out there that aggressively promote abortion for reasons such as keeping populations down. This approach has never really been proven to work. China's population is still growing. Getting rid of poverty is the only thing that has ever slowed down population growth to manageable levels as people have more control over their lives.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
          gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes, and education is one of the components while creating good jobs that pay decent salaries are other components to help eliminate poverty.