jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Political Fiction

1. groopy11 profile image61
    groopy11posted 4 years ago

Many of us enjoy fictional works that revolve around politics. Whether it is a story about a senator, president, or reporter following a campaign there is a certain charm about political commentary when presented like this. My question is, what are your favorite works of political fiction and why?

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 4 years ago

'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy' both the book and twelve hour miniseries. After that maybe 'Kidnapped' - Robert Lewis Stevenson, and 'War and Peace' by Tolstoy.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I loved I, Claudius by Robert Graves.   It is similar to a modern day, totally dysfunctionally adrift politcal family.  In addition to reading the book, I have watched the series.

groopy11posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thx for the comments, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy was definitely one of my favorites and the movie did a pretty good job of portraying the book. Personally, I like dystopian novels that focus more on broad ideas than individuals, ie 1984.
        Is there any particular reason that you two are more drawn to stories that center around families and individuals?
        Obviously 1984 centers around Winston but is there something more to the dysfunctional family instead of the dysfunctional government?

3. knolyourself profile image61

Watched the series in '76. The only way to survive was to play the moron, like the concept of the village idiot. Was a great series.

4. knolyourself profile image61

...Enjoyed fictional works. Personally I do not enjoy depictions of authoritarian states devoid more or less of the nature of the human condition. By my study of history it is always families that in the authoritarian end control the state.

groopy11posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Interesting, so it's more of associating yourself with a particular character as an archetype?
      That I can definitely understand being more interesting than simply thinking about whether you agree with the main character's choice at the end. There is a lot more depth that way.

working