jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Paul Ryan's Favorite Band's Guitarist Writes Blistering Op-Ed

1. 0
    Sooner28posted 4 years ago

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ … t-20120816

I am always impressed when a band calls out politicians for their vacuous hate.  Makes me wonder why these right-wing, intellectually inept politicians keep citing liberal musicians as their favorites.  Is their plan to make the Republicans look bad by acting like ignorant imbeciles, thereby furthering the liberal causes?  Nah...

1. Dr Billy Kidd profile image90
      Dr Billy Kiddposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Somebody gave the name of the band to Ryan and he said it. He's probably never heard it, right? Just wanted to sound cool?

But Bay Area Rap: he'd love that too, I'm sure!

2. tirelesstraveler profile image87
    tirelesstravelerposted 4 years ago

It is only a guess, but it is conceivable that some people value talent and creativity before political persuasion.  Ryan just likes his music.

1. 0
      Sooner28posted 4 years ago in reply to this

So if a band was singing about killing babies, it wouldn't matter as long as the tunes were catchy to the ear?

Part of a band is the message they are sending.  It's not just the sounds, as the author of the op-ed pointed out.

1. tirelesstraveler profile image87
        tirelesstravelerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

For as long as I can remember kids have been telling their parents the words don't matter we just listen to the music.  As a teacher who has chaperoned dances I know that's a lie, since every one sings along.  I agree some words are despicable. My assertion is that music is controversial, if we tear apart politicians for every opinion they have instead of what they stand for it gets nasty.  I understand Ryan is an athlete, much of work out music has clean versions, he may have never heard the uncut music. Not defending, but its an idea.

1. 0
          Sooner28posted 4 years ago in reply to this

True.  I understand that the rhythm of the music can be catchy, no matter how despicable the words may be. 

I just think from an adult's POV, if you claim to LOVE a band, it would include some of their lyrics?  Maybe not.  That's just my opinion.

1. tirelesstraveler profile image87
            tirelesstravelerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Indeed.  I find myself using "Love" about too many random things these days.  Wonder if its catching..

3. tussin profile image62
    tussinposted 4 years ago

Paul Ryan did not realize he was a cog in the machine against which one rages and Tom Morello decided to enlighten him.  Or perhaps Paul Ryan is an ironic fan and fan of irony.

This is not the first time a politician has openly said he/she was a fan of a band, only to have the ban members reject him/her as a fan.  You would think people running for office and their handlers would stop talking about their musical preferences, or just stick to dead musicians.

4. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

Hey Paul, since you're so chill in your musical taste,
    I've got some Bay Area rap you're just love!

5. JSChams profile image61
    JSChamsposted 4 years ago

Musicians and entertainers are not really a good place to get up and together on current affairs.