jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

The Latest From the CBO Office on Obamacare

1. HowardBThiname profile image89
    HowardBThinameposted 4 years ago

Is anyone paying attention to the health bill anymore?

Remember when we thought it would help lots of people who couldn't otherwise get coverage?

It appears that's not the case any longer. This is from the CBO's report last month. I'm just completely disenfranchised.

HowardBThinameposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I tried to include a quote from the CBO - but it didn't come through. I'll try again.

CBO and JCT now estimate that fewer people will be covered by the Medicaid program, more people will obtain health insurance through the newly established exchanges, and more people will be uninsured. The magnitude of those changes varies from year to year.

In 2022, for example, Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) are expected to cover about 6 million fewer people than previously estimated, about 3 million more people will be enrolled in exchanges, and about 3 million more people will be uninsured. Although the estimates discussed here are dominated by the movements of people losing eligibility for Medicaid, other smaller shifts in coverage are expected to occur as well. (The changes in coverage reflect the net effect of all estimated changes stemming from the Court’s decision, not just the movements of people who lose eligibility for Medicaid. For example, relative to prior estimates, not all of the increases in enrollment in exchanges and in the uninsured are among people who would have been newly eligible for Medicaid.)

2. Don W profile image82
      Don Wposted 4 years ago in reply to this

This is what happens when Republicans follow their preferred approach to politics: closing their eyes, putting their hands over their ears and screaming "NO, NO, NO" at anything suggested by anyone called Obama.

2. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 4 years ago

Gee, that's encouraging.

HowardBThinameposted 4 years ago in reply to this

"More people will be uninsured."

That boggles the mind. They sold the ACA to the citizens as giving folks more, not less, coverage. Now, we hear it will be just the opposite.

Politicians. Are any of them straight shooters?

3. Healthy Pursuits profile image89
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 4 years ago

The change is due to the Supreme Court's decision that individual states can opt out of the program. So states that don't like it or don't want to participate in it are going to have reduced health care for their uninsured population. That little decision by the same  Supreme Court that ruled that our elections can be bought by the highest bidder has changed the whole picture for affordable healthcare.

I think it's not a matter of what the program was designed to do, but of what it will now be able to do with states choosing to opt out. So maybe we should look at why some states are wanting to opt out. Is it political? Is it because some states think they can't afford some part of it?

I haven't gotten that far yet in reading about it, but I do know that the efforts by the insurance lobby, by other interests who've made huge amounts of money by overcharging for healthcare and by politicians who don't want it to succeed are still ongoing to destroy any hope of everyone in the U.S. getting healthcare.