jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

What is up with stealing on a bus?

1. Beverly Kase profile image60
    Beverly Kaseposted 4 years ago

So I am on the bus and some kid tries to grab my phone and run out the bus with it. He didn't succeed but really what do kids these days think they can easily get away with things like that? Why do they even think to try and actually attemp to do it?

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Are some of our children going to hell in a handbasket so to speak?    We need to reinstitute a moral compass.   Where are the parents?    Parents have to reinstitute moral teachings to their children.    This egregious behavior on the part of some children and adults must cease!

2. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 4 years ago

Our society is losing its moral integrity.  It isn't a matter of tolerance and acceptance of gay marriage.  It isn't from accepting that it's OK to wear a short skirt, and it certainly isn't from kicking religious teachings from our schools.

Instead it is from accepting that it's OK to lie to someone.  It's from showing tolerance to someone that won't keep their given word.  And it's from accepting that it's OK to steal (from someone else and not me, of course, and in relatively small quantities).  Shoplifting is at epidemic levels and we find celebrities that have no reason to steal doing it, then let them go with a slap on the wrist and a "Bad girl!" comment.  If the kid had gotten away with your phone he would have been a hero to his friends instead of a bum - it's not only being tolerated but being glorified for nothing more than an adrenaline rush.  Plus, of course, drug money. 

Stealing appears to be frowned upon only when done by the 1% in huge sums, and only when it happens to me.  Somebody else losing a cell phone?  Aw, the kid is "disadvantaged" or "has a bad home life" and is therefore excused.  Until society learns again that no, those aren't acceptable excuses the problem will get worse, not better.

3. Beverly Kase profile image60
    Beverly Kaseposted 4 years ago

Thank you. Im a parent myself but my child is still young but she knows better. We need to get back to the old days were kids got whoop. There is a fine line from spanking and abusing. My mother whoop my butt and til this day I wont steal or even attempt to.