jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)

WANTED : whistleblowers for frauding behavior!

1. maxoxam41 profile image78
    maxoxam41posted 4 years ago

The SEC new program is inviting any person to report any fraudulent behavior! What do you get in exchange? A nice financial reward proportionate to the amount of their fine! A beginning of a punishment in higher spheres?

1. galleryofgrace profile image81
      galleryofgraceposted 4 years ago in reply to this

So what's a SEC?

1. rhamson profile image76
        rhamsonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Securities & Exchange Commission in charge of monitoring Wall Street among other failures.

2. 0
      DoItForHerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Whistleblowers are protected from criminal penalties, but not from civil penalties. Civil penalties will destroy your life as well as criminal ones.

2. Charles James profile image86
    Charles Jamesposted 4 years ago

This is an old idea. At one time in England if you brought evidence of crimes to the court and prosecuted successfully you were given a share of the fine. This was because there was no effective police force. Does this say anything about the SEC?

1. grumpiornot profile image89
      grumpiornotposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I seem to recall, when I studied law years ago, that this resulted in "witch-hunts". People effectively became professional witnesses and this, in turn, gave rise to many of the rules of evidence in modern law e.g. the exclusion of hearsay evidence.
      In South Africa (my homeland) there are a number of legislative provisions regarding whistle-blowers, but the net effect in reality is still that they are persecuted.
      This makes one wonder whether whistle-blowing should not rather be exclusively a matter of conscience, rather than one where financial considerations play any role. Surely the evidenciary weight accorded to evidence for which one is ultimately remunerated is compromised?

3. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 4 years ago

It is a trick to get whistle blowers identified, fired and isolated. Ask Assange.

1. SpanStar profile image60
      SpanStarposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I hadn't concerned your point Knolyourself but I believe you may have something there.  Lots of companies like to push the envelope and whisle blowers slows them down.

2. maxoxam41 profile image78
      maxoxam41posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Seen through your prism, it's another story!

3. SimeyC profile image87
      SimeyCposted 4 years ago in reply to this

This program has been around for a year or more - the first payout of $50k just happened - the SEC are being very careful not to name the companies involved so that the whistle blowers identity remains safe. It is not a trick but a legitimate program by the SEC.

4. Hollie Thomas profile image61
      Hollie Thomasposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Tease them out, set them up.