Mitt the Birther

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (68 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 11 years ago

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/2 … 28095.html

Not only is the GOP the Guarantors of Poverty in economics, they also have a poverty of thought, which is lacking in 21st century ideas. 

I'm wondering if Fox News will call out Romney for this racist joke.

1. profile image0
      JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Everything is racism to you people...

Lol, just watch the interpretation of that line.

1. shea duane profile image59
        shea duaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

'you people' ? to whom do you refer?

1. profile image0

That's the question smile

When someone uses vague language like that, people have a tendency to project their own opinion into the interpretation. People who think racism drives everything will assume it is a racist comment.

1. profile image0
            Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like you did this on purpose.  Games won't help you convince anyone.

1. profile image0

On purpose? No, if it was on purpose, I would have said something like

There are some who will call anyone who doesn't fully support Obama 'racist'. It means nothing.

2. shea duane profile image59
        shea duaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

'you people' ? to whom do you refer?

3. Mighty Mom profile image78
        Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Jaxson's channeling Ann Romney again.
        "We've given all YOU PEOPLE all you need to know..."
        lol
        Just joshin' ya, Jaxson.

I don't see this as so much a birther comment as Mitt attempting to be funny. And he is just ... not.

1. profile image0

Haha, I thought someone would pick up on that smile

It's true, Romney has a hard time appearing 'normal', because he's not.

Not really a bad thing though, I consider someone's understanding of economics to be more important than their image of being able to cut loose and drink beer...

1. Mighty Mom profile image78

It's so interesting how quickly "we" shift what we value in our leaders.
            W was affable, likeable, plain spoken (being generous here). Seemed exactly like the kind of guy you'd love to have a beer with (forget for a minute that beer is not his friend).
            In 2008 we saw the huge rise of the populist candidate. I want a hockey mom for my Veep. Educated is out. Folksy, you betcha is in.
            Now it's 2012.
            We are back to expecting an educated POTUS. But both candidates have Harvard law degrees and no one cares. So we'll call their book learning credentials a wash.
            But... in a mind-boggling flip flop of approach, we now have the GOP claiming the usual Dem territory of policy wonks.
            Ryan's being held up as the "intellectual" and Romney as the "brilliant economic tactitian who is the only one who understands how businesses run." (On a very micro, let's pick one business per industry level, with the sole goal of satisfying investors, yeah. He does).
            Which leaves Obama as the nice guy you'd like to have a beer with.

What does seem to be emerging in this last week is how little control Romney has over his party or his own campaign messaging. If we thought Boehner got emasculated by the Tea Party, we ain't seen nothing yet.
            As theater, it's a tragicomedy.
            lol

2. habee profile image92
          habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Comedy isn't his strong suit. Now W, he was funny - whether he meant to be or not!

2. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

The Mittwit should be smart enough to heed to wisdom of not reopening old wounds. But as a disrag with the subtleness of a busted chain saw, perhaps, I am asking too much. He has a problem of not thinking before he speaks and it will prove to be fatal to his campaign as it progresses.
      While it is not racist, it just another example of his poor judgement.

3. profile image0
      Mtbailzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Consider it a clever technique to get Donald Trump to donate more money.

4. profile image0

Sooner...

Is Barack Obama also a racist, for joking about his birth certificate?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkJ0Z4GTn2A

0:50

1. profile image0

Making a remark about yourself, such as if I were to joke about my height, and another group joking about it, who in the past said I wasn't qualified to be president because of my height is completely different.

I feel like I have to ask.  Do you believe Obama is a citizen of the United States of America and was born in Hawaii?

1. profile image0

1 - I do think Obama is legitimate.

2 - When has Romney ever said that Barack wasn't qualified to be president because of his birthplace?

You try to pin Romney as a racist over the actions of other people???

2. rhamson profile image70
        rhamsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

One of these guys has to grow up and lead us rather than stoop to the school yard taunts and finger pointing. The "Oh yeah, well your momma............." crap  is just mud in the mix and satisfies no one but the "Jersey Shores" crowd. Trashy America is sickening me and I wish someone would explain the hows and whys of what they are going to do about the jobs and economy. I just love it when one side defends themselves by pointing out the others faults to gaffe the question or issue off. This is another blind election based on no facts and no solutions. So if the other side cannot present a case then why should we take a chance and change anything. At least we can understand the here and now.

5. Annsalo profile image84
      Annsaloposted 11 years ago

What was racist about that? Stating that he was born here in the usa? Or was it that he cracked a joke on someone who happens to be black? Calling this racist is the reason racism will never die! Yelling racism everytime someone doesn't like someone who happens to be black is ignorant. So you dislike romney? Do you consider this thread racist as well? No, I'm sure you don't and nothing Romney said was racism either. By the way I'm not a Romney supporter either.

1. profile image0

Did you read the article before you responded?

Birthers are racists.  Romney then made a reference TO THEM, trying to get a laugh from the audience, which succeeded.  The audience's reaction is telling also.

Romney claimed, ""No one's ever asked to see my birth certificate. They know that this is the place that we were born and raised.""

They KNOW I am born here, unlike that brown man on the other side, who people do have QUESTIONS about.  Why would there be a reference to a birth certificate AT ALL if it wasn't a veiled attempt to appease racist voters?

One thing i admired about McCain, he never would've said something so disgusting.

1. Annsalo profile image84
          Annsaloposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes I read it and I see nothing racist about wanting to know for sure that your president was actually born here. I think it's sad that anyone would assume racism because people want proof. After all people have to provide proof of being born here for almost anything else. I don't think the "birthers" could care less if it was a "brown man" or if it was someone from ireland. The point of his remark was truthful. At least with Romney there are no doubts about being born here in the USA. Again I see nothing racist about requiring your president to provide the same proof the people of this country have to provide. It's common sense not racism!

1. profile image0

Uh, that proof was provided long ago.

2. profile image0
            Mtbailzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Would anyone be asking him if he was White? Let's be honest, probably not.

3. Credence2 profile image79
            Credence2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, there is something racist about it, when the issue is being constantly brought up and somehow this alien Barack Obama became president of the united states deceiving everbody through the campaign process, the keepers of the Constitution-the legal establishment and the entire world just because a few rightwing idiots seem to think that the 'smart people' seemed to have missed something, perish the thought.

1. profile image0

The reply of some conservatives on here is disheartening.  I always thought birthers made up around 15% of the Republican party, and the Republican POLITICIANS were the ones who wouldn't call out the racism.  Unfortunately, the majority of Republicans, layman and politician alike, aren't calling out the birthers for their nonsense.

6. Reality Bytes profile image74
      Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

OK, the subject of the birthplace of a president was never a controversy until Obama?

How about them darn racists that questioned Chester A. Arthur?

"Long before “birthers’’ began questioning the citizenship of President Obama, similar questions were raised about the early years of Arthur, an accidental president who ascended to the job after President James Garfield was assassinated.

“It’s an old rumor that won’t die, political slander,’’ said John Dumville, who runs Vermont’s historic sites and knows well the legend.

The Constitution says only a “natural-born citizen’’ may serve as president. "

http://articles.boston.com/2009-08-17/n … -president

Yeah, and I bet Donald Trump was all over that one, too!
        lol

2. profile image0

This doesn't deflect the charge of racism.

It just shows political imbecility has been around for a long time.  No one questioned Kennedy, Carter, Reagan, Ford, Johnson, Mondale, Clinton, Bush 41, Bush 43, or Nixon's birth place.

Then, Obama gets elected, and all of the sudden, white guys on power trips believe it's time to "ask questions."

1. Xenonlit profile image60
          Xenonlitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is racism, pure and simple. The racist's response is to lie and deny that racism exists. Mitt Romney is the most prolific liar in political history.

Racists believe that they can lie, cheat, murder and steal because their racism justifies it.

Don't forget what great Christians they all are!

2. Reality Bytes profile image74
          Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Have you ever thought that their birthplaces was well documented?

Clinton inhale?

Bush avoid draft?

Controversies and gossip tend to be a part of the political process.  Either that or the racist Hillary Clinton should have never brought the subject up.

Now honestly, RB.
            How can you call Hillary Clinton racist?
            Have you not seen the videos of her gettin' down in South Africa?
            She's officially "badass."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6deKYtecarM

1. Reality Bytes profile image74

LOL, if questioning the birthplace of a candidate is racism, Hillary is the grand poobah!

She obviously has no problems with illegal aliens though:

http://www.oilempire.us/oil-jpg/hillaryalien.jpg

The country would be much better if we could simply merge Hillary and Obama:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShN4C1HoS9LCPTqHNiJoG5CZBEUpLnWT6A8S1s0Kz_6CG4tvLE

lol

Well, you know she and Bill always wanted a second child, but Bill was too busy helping unwed mothers get their start.
                *smacks self for silliness.*

2. Mighty Mom profile image78

But, the adoption + illegal aliens idea just hit me.
                What if, instead of self-deportation, we allowed illegal immigrants to be "adopted" by US citizens?
                Sort of a "We understand your dilemma, people. You want to be tough on immigration, but at the same time, we know you have lawns to be mowed and houses and offices to be cleaned. So, we'll make a win/win for both you and your hired help. They get to stay in the country and you won't get in trouble for employing them if you ADOPT them!"
                lol

Ok, so it's not perfect. Name one other immigration policy that is!
                lol lol

1. habee profile image92

Hey, I LOVE the adoption idea! I'll take a 35-year-old Hispanic male!!

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
                    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'll take his brother!!

1. habee profile image92

Oh, I'll be happy to share! lol

2. profile image0

Typical political rhetoric vs. racist rhetoric are two different strategies.

I know Romney is engaging in hyperbole when he says Obama wants a divided America, and his stimulus was a complete failure (both are demonstrably false).

However, insinuating that Obama isn't like us white people, that he is different and maybe not even a U.S. citizen, that goes beyond the acceptable.

Like someone else asked on here, would they be trumping this idea if he were white?  No.

Division based on wealth!

Division based on sexuality!

Division based on race!

Division based on legal status!

No, Obama is not the great divider!  Is there any subject Barry does not try to get Americans to bicker over?  The only controversies he involves himself with are subjects of division!

1. profile image0

Why do you keep calling him Barry?

If homophobia exists, and racism exists, and an unjust economic system exists, then I have no problem calling out the people who are the wrong sides of the issues.

According to your logic, it would be division to call out slave owners.  You are just dividing slave owners and non-slave owners.  Or, you are just dividing based on women having the right to vote vs. being disenfranchised.

Simply saying something "divides" isn't an argument for anything.

The same reason I call Billy boy slick willie, and i call W  dumaya.  Would you like Barry to be treated differently?

1. profile image0

Birthers are the ones who call him Barry.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/bi … dental.asp

Not true, I do not question his birthplace.  I call him Barry.

Maybe I should switch to Barack Hussein Obama aka Barry Soetoro.

Or perhaps we should use his other alias: Harrison J. Boune

smile

2. Reality Bytes profile image74

If every subject approached by the man is one of division, he is a divider.   It is an argument when our POTUS involves himself in areas he knows nothing about, adding his two cents, incorrectly, for the sole purpose of creating friction!  ie...  The Cambridge police were wrong, even though I do not have a clue what happened!!!!!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
                    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Seems every time he comments it is because someone has asked for his opinion. Would you rather he lie? It seems to me it the fact that people make a huge deal out of his opinion that creates the friction. Especially when it doesn't really matter what he said, just the fact that he said it.

" I cannot comment on an ongoing investigation"

Instead of promoting his opinion of ignorance would be nice.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80

He is only divisive because some people feel everyone must agree with their point of view...

If when he spoke, he used the pronoun "we" instead of "I' continuously, just set aside his narcissism for a bit while serving, he might show some unification characteristics.

7. profile image0
      HowardBThinameposted 11 years ago

It was obviously a joke, although maybe not a smart one.

The Birthers are silly and obsessed.

Birthers II (the Romney tax bandwagon-riders) are just as silly and obsessed.

It's partisanship on both sides, pure and simple.

8. tirelesstraveler profile image61
      tirelesstravelerposted 11 years ago

I heard what he said and it was hella funny.

9. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 11 years ago

As for the "joke," I thought Mitt was actually sorta making fun of the birthers. It was lame, like when Obama made a joke about Special Olympics. Or when Biden gets an attack of foot-in-mouth disease. Cut all the candidates some slack! How would you like for every syllable out of your mouth to be scrutinized and analyzed??

1. profile image0

Habee, it's because it's only a gaffe if it comes from your side. If it comes from the other side, that person is stupid/racist/idiot/showinghistruecolors/etc..

This is exactly what is alienating former Obama supporters that now find themselves the brunt of ridiculous accusations.

Well, well. I guess I didn't pay close enough attention to his verbatim words:

"No one has ever asked to see my birth certificate. They know that this is the place that we were born and raised."

Took me a couple of readings to "get it."
            We?
            Would that be the royal "we"?
            If so, then "we" are not amused.
            lol

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80

I think he mentioned Ann before he said that and was including her smile

Just so, UW. Thank you!

Romney said:
                “I love being home, in this place where Ann and I were raised. Where both of us were born...No one’s ever asked to see my birth certificate. They know that this is the place that we were born and raised.

So wait. By this comment, is he now accusing Michelle Obama of not being born in the U.S.. too?
                lol lol

I read on twitter that  everyone knew he was born in the US because he was created in a lab. lol

Well there you go. A typical American Exceptionalist comment.
                    Does he mean there are no labs in other countries in the world, only the Great U S of A?
                    lol
                    See how easy it is?
                    Fun, too!
                    smile

I clearly missed the point, I thought the twitterer (is that even a word?) was eluding to the fact that he was a clone (a Bush clone because he's moved to the right and is not as moderate as he was once) See, this is what happens when I attempt to read and think at the same time after 12am. lol

2. profile image0

Grammatical slip by Romney.  He should've included Ann in the sentence BEFORE the we.  Then it would've been clearer who he was talking about.

Very awkward change of sentence subject from we to I back to we again, yes.

It was a cheap shot played for a guaranteed laugh when addressing his base.
                Is it more than that?
                I don't know. Others (including many media and the Obama campaign) feel it is.

Where does Romney begin and end and where does the Republican party begin and end?
                The party has known birthers, including Sheriff Joe, speaking at their convention.
                Does that mean Romney is a birther?
                Or is he simply pandering to the fringe of his party?

1. profile image0

I don't believe Mitt is ACTUALLY a birther.  He's just pandering.

However, even if it was a joke, if Obama were to make a racist joke about white people, would the Republicans just shrug and say eh?  Politics is dirty.  I guarantee you they would not.

10. profile image0
      Mtbailzposted 11 years ago

I just read this article today from The Atlantic. I think it really fits into the spirit of this debate. Mitt Romney's comments might be more than racist; they might be un-American.

http://m.theatlantic.com/politics/archi … ns/261551/

11. Hollie Thomas profile image61
      Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

@Holle, I'm giggling just thinking about what mischief two Holles could get up to. We'd be like the terrible twins.smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)