jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

Obama destroying economy

1. 0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 4 years ago

Sometimes a picture says a thousand words...

1. HowardBThiname profile image91
      HowardBThinameposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The Stock Market is a funny thing. It peaked, by the way, in 2007 and has not reached that peak since.

It's not always a great economic indicator however, because stocks generally rise when inflation rises. If you've noticed the increased cost of food, lately, but no increase in your paycheck...that's inflation. So while stocks might be higher, the value of those stocks, when taking inflation into account, is often lower.

The unemployment rate and housing starts are better indicators.

1. Chris Dane profile image61
        Chris Daneposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think the bigger part of the poster is the record high profits, and go towards the increasing wealth at the top, and the decimation of the middle class. For starters...

1. 0
          JaxsonRaineposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, a lot of companies are doing well...

But... demand isn't something that follows profits. Demand is a natural cycle, and ours is stalled. If the unemployment rate were going down, more of the profits would be being invested.

There is plenty our government could do to jump-start new jobs, creating new demand, and starting the economy back up... and it has nothing to do with taxation.

2. Shadesbreath profile image88
      Shadesbreathposted 4 years ago in reply to this

So, since this is a picture of words, does it say more than words or less than a picture?

1. Mighty Mom profile image91
        Mighty Momposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That makes my wittle bwain fweeze!

3. 0
      JaxsonRaineposted 4 years ago in reply to this

To add to why the stock market isn't a good indicator of things...

The stock market is kind of the other side of the coin to international currencies. When the dollar is weakening, people tend to invest inside the economy, so the market goes up. When the dollar is strengthening, people invest in the dollar against other currencies, so the market goes down.

I learned over the two years where I attempted to be a day trader, that the markets are far more complicated than almost anybody can really understand... they are full of nuances, tendencies, patterns, and apparent contradiction.

2. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

You can lead a company to profits, but you can't make them* hire.

*Don't forget, corporations are people.

3. brimancandy profile image82
    brimancandyposted 4 years ago

If you want my opinion, they should eliminate the stock market. It is the main reason why gas prices are so high, and the reason why our government is paying farmers not to grow crops. Because the corpoartions set the amount of how much they want to distribute based on stock prices. If we could eliminate the stock market, all this guessing and wasteful spending would come to an end.

Notice that sugar and corn products have gone through the roof, because the genius in the stock market is buying it, hoping that it will one day be turned into alternate fuel, which they will then profit from. Another thing we need to do is stop these money mongers from buying up oil before it even comes out of the ground.

The problem isn't Obama. It's rich corporations that don't give a rats ass if this country slides into oblivion as long as they can live it up before that happens.

4. Nick Hanlon profile image60
    Nick Hanlonposted 4 years ago

So are we saying America should be more like North Korea?

1. Mighty Mom profile image91
      Mighty Momposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You mean North Korea our ally, right?