jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Norweigan Gunman Sentenced

1. tirelesstraveler profile image86
    tirelesstravelerposted 4 years ago

Norwegian man who murdered 77 people on a island is given life sentence. Victims families are victimized all over again.  I personally am tired of the legal system always siding with the criminal.  Your opinion on how the victims family should feel. 
    http://www.mercurynews.com/nation-world … sentencing

2. xstatic profile image60
    xstaticposted 4 years ago

Since Norway has no death penalty, there was, unfortunately, little choice. With 77 victims, I am sure the families' reactions, besides their shared grief, are all over the map. Norway has such a different culture than the US, but I can't fathom how they can absorb that much sadness. I have not looked it up, but I am certain that gun deaths per capita there are among the lowest in the world.

3. Mighty Mom profile image92
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

Perhaps 77 life sentences would have been more appropriate.

1. Healthy Pursuits profile image88
      Healthy Pursuitsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I agree that it should have been 77 life sentences.

I don't think that the death sentence is the harshest punishment. I actually think of a life sentence for killing to be worse by far than a death sentence. Unless it was 20 years in jail, then a death sentence. The killer is locked up with a lot of time to whirl around inside (usually) his own mind. If you had a murderer's mind, would you want to spend a lot of free time with it?  I wouldn't!

4. debbiepinkston profile image87
    debbiepinkstonposted 4 years ago

I personally feel that neither the death sentence nor 77 life sentences even begin to match what he did.  Whether you are a Christian who believes in hell, or you prefer to think in terms of Karma, this person is going to suffer for an eternity.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago

But, his sentence can be increased 5 years at a time with each parole hearing (not sure how many years between). And it's been suggested that he will never get out.

6. Paul Wingert profile image80
    Paul Wingertposted 4 years ago

I think they can actually hold this assh*** indefinately. Here in the US, one would get 10-20 years just for using a gun in a crime! But we would drop the gun charges and euthanize him for the 77 murders.