Romney Endorses Democratic Platform in Speech

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (23 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 11 years ago

Toward the end of Governor Romney's convention speech, he claimed:

"That united America will care for the poor and the sick, will honor and respect the elderly, and will give a helping hand to those in need."

Food for the starving, universal health care for ALL, and guaranteed college education to those who desire to go and are intellectually able.

My question is: why is Romney a Republican?

1. profile image0
      JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

2. profile image0

I wasn't going to bother, but oh well.

1 - Do Democrats have a corner on the market of 'helping people'? That would be news to me.
      2 - You seem to criticize Romney when he says something you disagree with and when he says something you agree with.
      3 - Did he say anything about universal healthcare, or universal college education?

1. profile image0
        Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Haha.  No.

He said nothing about universal healthcare, or universal college education; however, his principles are perfectly in line with most liberals.  He just isn't following them for some reason!  It's quite odd really :p

1. habee profile image92
          habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, he DOES follow them. He not only talks the talk, he walks the walk. He gives of his money AND his time to help others.

1. profile image0

No.  He does not follow them.  If you are a Republican in favor of gutting the social safety net, increasing defense spending, opening up every square inch of the earth to oil tycoons, giving huge tax cuts to the wealthy, and are a homophobic bigot (though he just recently became this when he decided to run for President), no, you do not follow those principles.

1. habee profile image92

So, you're saying that Romney has NOT helped the poor, the sick, or those in need, which you quoted in your original post? I guess the IRS and all those folks Mitt helped are lying. Please tell me how many times Obama has visited the sick and counseled those in need. And Biden's charitable contributions are a joke. Dems are always generous with OTHER people's money, but when it comes to their own cash, they can be pretty stingy. Have you really read Romney's plan? I can't find where it says it does away with safety nets and social programs. You do know that the number of Americans in poverty is higher now, right?

1. profile image0

If I have 500 million dollars, and I hoard 300 million of it in offshore accounts to avoid paying taxes on it, give 5 million to my church, and support cutting my own taxes and others that are wealthy, cutting social programs, and privatizing medicare, no, he has not helped to the extent that he should.

The government policies he supports have nothing to do with wealthy.  There are middle class voters who want to screw the poor also, at least until they lose their job, then they want unemployment insurance and food stamps...  But I digress.

Do you understand we have this massive amount of poverty when there is a safety net AND charities.  It's nothing for you to donate money to charity if you are filthy rich thanks to your daddy's connections, and your ability to skim off the work of others.  Why does he need all that money, while people are starving to death, can't afford a college education, or are being poisoned by corporations? 

Democrats aren't much better, but they aren't openly advocating taking steps to begin the destruction of the social safety net, which is what the "Path to Prosperity" does.  Romney has said he and Paul Ryan agree on the vast majority of the points within it.

1. habee profile image92

You just answered my question with your "privatizing Medicare" comment.

2. profile image0

Do Democrats have a corner on the market of 'helping people'?

Do you approve or disapprove of Romney being socially moderate?

1. profile image0

Democrats have a corner when it comes to government programs.  Most Republicans want SS, Medicare, Medicaid, and Pell Grants gone.  It's just not politically possible to do so right now.

As for being socially moderate, what do you mean by that?

2. habee profile image92

I was thinking the same thing you said in point #2, but I think you meant for that second "disagree" to be "agree."  lol

1. profile image0

Yes I did, lol. Thanks Habee wink

1. profile image0

I didn't say anything cause I'm a nice guy and knew what you meant.  Typos are silly to quibble over.

1. habee profile image92

I wasn't quibbling. I just wanted to make sure I understood the post correctly.

2. profile image0
          screamingposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It must be a political thing, as the Republicans do the same to Democrats.

3. internpete profile image84
      internpeteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Romney is not a Democrat because Democrats want more food stamps, more welfare, more free healthcare, bigger government and oh, they want someone else to pay for it.

This stops working when those who are paying for all these programs realize it is better to live in a different country.

A united America can do all the things Romney said, but America will never be united as long as Obama is pushing a cultural war between the rich and the poor, the young and the old, man and women.

1. profile image0

Thanks for proving my point, for any of those who were in doubt.

2. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Now hold on just a minute.
    Romney said "a united America."
    He did not say "The United States of America' (meaning government).
    One could (if so inclined) interpret the comment to mean that until America unites, those feel-good things for her citizens will not happen.
    In other words, given the extremely divisive partisanship in evidence today, it will be a cold day in hell before the  poor, sick, elderly and needy are cared for here!

Cynical much, MM?
    Yep.
    smile

1. habee profile image92

Have you been listening to Rush again, MM??

2. profile image0

MM is talking to herself again on HP...

Don't worry MM, the nice people will be along with your jacket shortly big_smile

But good point, there was quite a bit of rhetoric about united Americans/communities/churches helping each other out, and not just in Romney's speech.

3. internpete profile image84
    internpeteposted 11 years ago

Your're welcome! Happy to clear things up.

4. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

"Mitt Romney, it turns out, is the perfect frontman for Wall Street's greed revolution. He's not a two-bit, shifty-eyed huckster like Lloyd Blankfein. He's not a sighing, eye-rolling, arrogant jerkwad like Jamie Dimon. But Mitt believes the same things those guys believe: He's been right with them on the front lines of the financialization revolution, a decades-long campaign in which the old, simple, let's-make-stuff-and-sell-it manufacturing economy was replaced with a new, highly complex, let's-take-stuff-and-trash-it financial economy. Instead of cars and airplanes, we built swaps, CDOs and other toxic financial products. Instead of building new companies from the ground up, we took out massive bank loans and used them to acquire existing firms, liquidating every asset in sight and leaving the target companies holding the note. The new borrow-and-conquer economy was morally sanctified by an almost religious faith in the grossly euphemistic concept of "creative destruction," and amounted to a total abdication of collective responsibility by America's rich, whose new thing was making assloads of money in ever-shorter campaigns of economic conquest, sending the proceeds offshore, and shrugging as the great towns and factories their parents and grandparents built were shuttered and boarded up, crushed by a true prairie fire of debt."
    From Matt Taibbi

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)