jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (5 posts)

What is it that you want out of your government?

1. Yard of nature profile image80
    Yard of natureposted 4 years ago

In its purest American sense, our government is made up of citizenry. However, it is clear there are people who make it their career to either run for office or to work in government. Like anything else involving people, that means government is flawed and motivated by many purposes.
    I'm fascinated, and sometimes taken aback, by the various "wants" we have of government:
    • to protect us.
    • to leave us alone.
    • to make sure our neighbor does nothing to bother us.
    • to make sure our neighbor doesn't get into our stuff.
    • we want a small government.
    • Except for when we want a big government.
    • we don't like taxes.
    • But we like serices. We like good roads, our garbage collected, streets kept safe and firefighters ready if we need them.
    I could go on, but maybe you get my drift.
    I'm just wondering what it is that you want from your government? And should what you want be provided at the federal, state or local level?
    There's really no right or wrong, so feel free to share.

1. 0
      JaxsonRaineposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Fulfil your constitutional requirements. Don't make up new jobs for yourself. Do as little as possible to protect the natural, constitutional rights of citizens.

States need to have more power returned to them. If everything is decided at the federal level, there is no competition and no comparison for learning. If each state is allowed to choose their own solutions, then there is competition and we can compare results.

Think of it this way. You have 20 people competing in a competition to make the best pie in America, and they will share the prize money if anyone wins. Would it be best to have everyone use the same recipe?

Yard of natureposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Can't argue with that. It's as American as apple pie.

2. Mighty Mom profile image91
        Mighty Momposted 4 years ago in reply to this

But the whole idea is to be the UNITED States. That's what started our country. The colonies coming together to vote on whether to go to war with England.
        There will always be issues that transcend states' rights.
        Then again, maybe the time has come for Civil War II.
        Let some states secede from the US and form their own nation based on similar beliefs and values.

Yard of natureposted 4 years ago in reply to this

There is no doubt that there are issues of federal concern that override states' own preferences. We all know about slavery and how that was a states' rights issue to some, but a matter of decency to others.  That said, whether fireworks are to be legal (and what kind), how late bars should be allowed to be open and similar issues really don't need a federal response. Larger issues, too, including education might be better off with less federal oversight. In my community, blessed with a fine public school district that traditionally was well supported, No Child Left Behind led to what I believe is "teaching the test" rather than educating students. It may have done more harm than good. Still, I will concede the feds might set a baseline and help states in education as long as they don't take over the whole shebang. Rather than another civil war, I'd suggest engage the elected government officials that nominally are representing you at local, state or national levels. Too  many today parrot party line because that's all they know. Take the time to inform them of other views -- or your views.