Was the republican convention a waste?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (61 posts)
  1. mio cid profile image60
    mio cidposted 11 years ago

Was the republican convention a wasted opportunity to gain on the president?I think except for Ann Romney's participation there was very little accomplished by this convention,the Rasmussen latest poll gives it a 5 point bounce , I suspect the real bounce is about three points once the other polls come out and average it out waiting to see the realclear which is more trustworthy.Will the democrats learn from their rivals' mistakes and have a more successful convention?

1. profile image0
      JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think Romney's speech will prove to be very effective among independents and undecideds.

2. ElderYoungMan profile image66
      ElderYoungManposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Big waste of time.  An embarrassment actually.  What clint actually illustrated in very vivid color was the fear of the decline of white gentile dominance in this country and the world.

3. Xenonlit profile image61
      Xenonlitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It was not a waste of time in the sense that the American people had a chance to see what a train wreck the Tea Party has made of the Grand Old Party. I wonder how many Republicans wish those clowns would just disappear and give them their party back.

The highlights: Ryan's catastrophic lying and Clint Eastwood appearing to be racist and out of his mind as he talked to an empty chair.

mio cidposted 11 years agoin reply to this

you are absolutely right what is left  after the convention not too positive for  the republiclowns.

4. secularist10 profile image59
      secularist10posted 11 years agoin reply to this

From the party of Lincoln to this. A party of failed and disproven economic theory, empty slogans, hypocrisy and a spastic, denialist attachment to a bygone demographic and geopolitical era. Regressive tax policies, pathological confusion and discomfort with the modern woman, and with an evolving sexual culture, on top of an utterly hollow foreign policy paradigm unattached to the realities of the early 21st century world.

Not that Democrats in the age of Obama are any better, but that's another story.

who would've thought W would look like  a contemporary man aware of the change in the times compared to these retrogrades  Romney and Ryan.

1. secularist10 profile image59
          secularist10posted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's a shame too because both Romney and Ryan are extremely intelligent men. Unfortunately being intelligent does not immunize a person to flawed ideology and philosophy.

I think if the political reality was different, if Romney and Ryan would be candidates not being hostage to a republican party base dominated by the extremist right wingers, the right wing nut talking heads  and the tea party , they would be capable of governing in a way that puts country first, and even reach bipartisan agreements, but unfortunately that is not the case and although they are intelligent and capable individuals the present political  reality in their party deems them  unable to govern for the benefit of the whole country but  only to the benefit of the one percent.

5. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh come on mio cid, for entertainment value alone the Repub convention was up there. lol

2. innersmiff profile image66
    innersmiffposted 11 years ago

All it was was a nail in the coffin for the Republican party as far as libertarians and true conservatives are concerned. Their phony-ness has gone on long enough, and it is time for mass non-compliance in this coming election. Even a vote for Gary Johnson would demonstrate this.

From your mouth to god's ears.I hope Gary Johnson outperforms and gets millions of votes

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would love to see a large percentage of votes for Gary Johnson.  It would be a good thing!

3. theliz profile image59
    thelizposted 11 years ago

Depends on how you vote. If you are a Repub you are probably less than enthused. As a Demo I think it was a huge success and thank God that Clint Eastwood decided to throw in a little performance art to seal the deal.

that was a slick move by the big O to send clint to the gop convention and derail it.

4. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 11 years ago

http://0.tqn.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/R/h/4/obama-eastwood-laughing.jpg

I agree with theliz.  It didn't go so well for Romney.  Whoever is in charge of his campaign is incompetent.

And right after he finished he called the big O to report his success.

1. profile image0

I've been following InvisibleObama on twitter.  Hilarious stuff!

1. innersmiff profile image66
          innersmiffposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There is only one thing I won't stand for . . .

. . and that's making fun of Clint Eastwood.

1. profile image0

big_smile

Oh, but you see, Clint was a plant.  Our hilarity is directed at the Romney campaign incompetence!

That's all right then!

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60

Will you hang us high?

And p*ss on your grave!

this is a little extreme, don't you think?

In The Line Of Fire. Watch it.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60

You'd say anything for a few dollars more.

2. theliz profile image59
        thelizposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ha! Loves it!!

5. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

image from Upworthy Facebook page, funny stuff

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/538585_451478671559663_505385899_n.jpg

Colbert already interviewed empty seat.she is not a bad candidate

2. Quilligrapher profile image72
      Quilligrapherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Clint Eastwood proved before a national audience that it is possible to debate an empty chair....and lose.
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg

6. profile image0

As usual, President Obama handles this hilarious situation with just the right tone:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/s … csp=34news

President Obama wants to make it clear that, in his own words, "I am a huge Clint Eastwood fan."

"He is a great actor, and an even better director," the president said in an interview with USA TODAY aboard Air Force One, on his way to campaign rallies in Iowa Saturday. "I think the last few movies that he's made have been terrific."

Was he offended?

"One thing about being president or running for president — if you're easily offended, you should probably choose another profession." Obama said with a smile. He said there would be no effort to counter with a similar stunt at the Democratic National Convention, which opens in Charlotte Tuesday.

"I think we'll be playing this pretty straight," he said.

i bet he was thinking ,offended? i want to give him a hug.

7. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Reviews I've read in media:
    1. Keynote speaker's address full of lies, did nothing to help Romney, mostly paved the way for Christie in 2016.
    2. Ryan's speech riddled with lies and more lies. Even Fox called him out on that.
    3. Romney's speech underwhelming.
    4. Eastwood, brought in as the "secret weapon" backfired bigtime.

The Dems should be able to beat that by simply showing up.

1. Quilligrapher profile image72
      Quilligrapherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey there, MM.  How have you been?

Regarding your item 3., I am surprised no one has challenged Mitt Romney’s hollow promise to create new jobs. He said in his acceptance speech at the RNC, “I have a plan to create 12 million new jobs.” {1} Although that may be welcomed as great news to many, the Bureau of Labor Statistics Employment Projections released seven months ago in February, 2012, forecasts more than 2 million new jobs a year over the next decade even if he is not elected. “Total employment,” the report says, “is projected to grow by 14.3 percent over the decade, resulting in 20.5 million new jobs.” {2} Again, the obvious fact is that Presidents can not create new jobs in the private sector no matter how much they claim that they can.

Furthermore, there is another prediction in this report that relates to jobs and President Obama’s PPACA.  “One-third of the projected fastest growing occupations are related to health care.” Another economic advantage driven my Obamacare that is getting very little air time. 
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg
      {1} http://www.npr.org/2012/08/30/160357612 … nce-speech
      {2} http://bls.gov/news.release/ecopro.nr0.htm

1. Mighty Mom profile image78
        Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Howdy, Quill.
        Inspired, as always, by your research prowess, I took the (unstated) challenge to learn about Romney's jobs platform.
        I think you will find that Mr. Romney's plan is both concrete and explicit.
        Leaves nothing up to the imagination or speculation.
        It's all right here:
        http://www.mittromney.com/blogs/mitts-v … mic-growth

As to lack of publicity on the care delivery side of Obama's ACA, it is puzzling, yes.
        I have been the vox clamantis in deserto on that for months now. Alas, no one seems interested in hearing about the capacity building side of "Obamacare." The funds to expand and strengthen clinics to serve all these newly insured people. That includes building workforce capacity (as you rightly point out, jobs in healthcare), of course.

For some reason, folks here seem to stick their fingers in their ears when I try to engage them on such realities.
        Perhaps it's because I live in the one and apparently only  state that is NOT wholesale rejecting Obamacare and thumbing its nose at the federal funding it offers at the state and local levels.
        Instead, the Obamacare naysayers appear much more interested in:
        a) Deliberately confusing Medicaid and Medicare
        b) Bemoaning the dirth of doctors who will accept Medicare payments
        c) Swearing up and down that Obama wants to rob old people of their healthcare so that he can provide free care to illegal immigrants.

Although, to be fair, this may be progress. It's been awhile since I heard anyone rant about their personal freedom being violated.
        smile
        Yours in health and shared prosperity,
        MM

8. profile image0
    LikaMarieposted 11 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7107744_f248.jpg

Yep.

9. profile image0

GOP Convention, Romney Speech Evoke Lukewarm Reactions
    Speech gets lowest ratings of any Gallup has measured since 1996
    by Frank Newport

PRINCETON, NJ -- Last week's Republican National Convention had a minimal impact on Americans' self-reported voting intentions, with just about as many saying the convention made them less likely to vote for Mitt Romney as say it made them more likely to vote for him.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/157256/gop-c … tions.aspx

Poor ol' Mitt can't even get a convention bounce.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-JE1CNXh28E-2KaibPwLtzIEkePInhGr1dQS45smajpkwWeuR

10. HLPhoenix profile image60
    HLPhoenixposted 11 years ago

I was happy to see this forum and have been watching the posts... I didn't watch the Convention and kept up on what was happening on the internet.  While I once considered myself a Social Liberal and a Fiscal Conservative, and Definitely Independant (until Independant became a Party) I now, after Regan's Economic Policy failed to Trickel Down, through 3 Republican Presidents... and the Republican's got stuck in the GROOVE of cutting taxes with out any other ideas... and became more and more Certain that they had the RIGHT to take away the Rights of Others... I guess I am now a FLAMING (pun intended) LIBERAL.  That aside, I have a lot of Republican friends who don't care what anyone says INCLUDING the Candidates... they are going to vote for them ...period.  Even though they are on SS, or SSI, or Foodstamps or MediCare... People Voting against their own interests is how the Republicans may just win the election In Spite of the FACTS.

There are billions of dollars being poured into brainwashing people to vote against their own self interests.
      Hiding their appalling financial shenanigans behind a curtain of Evangelical self-righteousness.
      Using people's blind faith (and fears and discomfort with the modern world as it is) to get them to vote them in at levels as seemingly innocuous as school board.

Your story of your  friends who are benefitting from the government but voting Republican is scary. Perhaps they are counting on Romney/Ryan to create a job for them? Or is it more of the "I got mine so that's all that matters..." mentality.

Time for people to wake up and think for themselves.

11. theliz profile image59
    thelizposted 11 years ago

As I await the major speeches of tonight I feel like the question has changed for me.  Was it a waste now depends on the final analysis of how the Dems perform tonight.  I'm scared of Betty White!

The big dog tonight can hit it out of the park and if obama does as good as michelle did yesterday you will see at least seven or eight point bounce out of the convention

1. theliz profile image59

I felt it for sure last night as I listened.  Hope we keep up the momentum.

And as the democratic convention ended the comparison was   favorable to the democratic convention even by the fox news crowd , and the republicans are starting to panic because they see this guy and his crew don't seem to" have it".What they are saying now is that they are confident he will do great in the debates"which can be translated as "We think we're screwed"

1. theliz profile image59

Totally agree.  One thing is clear to me after the DNC: you like President Obama, you don't like him, matters not.  He believes in the work he is doing, he cares about the people of this country and he's a gangsta!!!!!

The republican convention did nothing to advance the cause of their candidate simply because nobody likes him.Obama got a big bump out of the democratic convention because the whole party is united in his support.

12. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 11 years ago

I think the RNC was so bad that it helped the Dems more than the Repubs. The only parts I really liked were the personal stories from people Romney helped and a couple of lines from both Romneys' speeches.

I think Romney has wasted a great chance. He's a moderate, and he could have helped bridge the division in the nation, but he's gone too far to the right. If, by some miracle, he were to win, would he govern as a moderate, or as a far rightie? I pray that he returns to his actual persona.

Ya see, here's one problem. We moderate conservatives or fiscal conservatives/social liberals have been told over and over again by the hardcore GOP that moderate Repubs can't win. They often point to McCain and Dole to back up that assertion. What will they say if and when Romney loses? They've pushed him pretty far to the right. I honestly believe that, if left to his own devices, Romney would be a good leader.

If Romney doesn't win the election his political career is over simply because he has nowhere to go.he was once a moderate and he sold out his principles in order to be accepted by the base and the extremists,his new found friends don't really like him or trust him, and after the election the gop will either continue to be controlled by the loons and whither on the vine or be brought back to life by the adults in the party and in neither case is there a place for the etch a sketch man in it.

Second election in a row where an arguably intelligent, experienced moderate R has chosen a far right running mate and been overshadowed by her/him.
        I see Romney wanting to pull back to center. I believe that is where he's truly most comfortable, not as the mouthpiece for Grover Nordquist and Co.

The races to watch really are the congress and senate races and governorships (although the big kahuna governorship changeover occurred in 2010). Will moderate Rs survive or will the party continue banking hard right?

Romney's fate is sealed, there is no moving back to the center now,that ship has sailed and if he doesn't win in november we will keep hearing his name but not linked to any kind of political office quest.

Do mean, perhaps, exposed for hiding money in offshore accounts??
            Maybe there's another whistleblower out there who will be inspired by the guy who just got $1+ million reward from the IRS for outing his clients!
            lol

2. habee profile image93
          habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sadly, I agree with you about Romney.

13. Evan G Rogers profile image62
    Evan G Rogersposted 11 years ago

The RNC was a waste of TIME, not a waste of a chance to gain on Obama.

In fact, it wasn't a Convention. It was a coronation.

Want to learn how the Republicans willingly break their own rules whenever the establishment feels it will suit their goals? Check out a REAL journalist's analysis of the event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKaXqoC4DjE

i really wish ron paul would run as a third party candidate so obama would be sure to be reelected.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image62
        Evan G Rogersposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's astonishing that anyone can think that Romney could beat Obama.

Romney IS Obama.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66
          Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good to see you back, Evan. IMHO it's a bit of a stretch to say "Romney is Obama."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)