jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

Strong First Ladies?

1. 0
    Justsilvieposted 4 years ago

Why is it that strong and educated First Ladies like Michelle Obama seem to have a harder time getting women to warm up to them?

I saw the same treatment of Hillary Clinton. You rarely hear much negative feedback about most first Ladies. Is it that we want them to be the “little woman”, not someone strong enough to run the country in their own right?

1. adjkp25 profile image92
      adjkp25posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Not being a woman I can't give a valuable opinion to your first paragraph but I do have a thought from a male perspective.

I think some men still have a hard time seeing women as equals so they don't pay much attention to them, which is sad.

Many First Ladies take up very good causes and, political affiliations aside, they should be applauded for their efforts.

I think some people also realize that they are in this spot because of their husbands' political career, not necessarily by their choosing so they are given a pass, most of the time.

Michelle Obama has gotten some criticism but it is usually her choice for a vacation location or eating a cheeseburger.

1. 0
        Justsilvieposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I have read snide remarks from women that is why I asked the question, but after your reply I looked on the web and was surprised just how often and how tastelessly men have attacked her... These are from the far right, but I never heard this kind of remark about neither Mrs Busch from the left. I guess there are men who are so threatened by strong women it brings out the macho bully in them.

http://mediamatters.org/research/2012/0 … ars/189737

1. adjkp25 profile image92
          adjkp25posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I was certainly no fan of Dubya and his policies but I give Laura Bush credit for her work on literacy.

1. Mighty Mom profile image90
            Mighty Momposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I give Laura Bush credit for her work on W.
            Only wish she were a bit stronger and more dominant.

2. Credence2 profile image85
      Credence2posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Silvie, The first ladies are fine as long as they stay in "their place", areas distinctly outside the political arena. Ms Clinton and Obama are highly educated women that do and have the capacity to do much more than darn socks. Let's celebrate their contributions.

1. 0

Hi Credence,

Great to see you again. Hope life in Paradise is going well.

I think you are right about them staying in their place and I do celebrate their contributions and am a fan of both women.

What will make this a really interesting question to me is how women will perceive a man in this role and how he will be treated.

2. Xenonlit profile image61
    Xenonlitposted 4 years ago

Racism aside, Mrs. Obama is a much more people friendly person than Hillary Clinton or any of the other first ladies. Michelle will get out there and mix it up with people and she seems to have great fun doing it. To lump her in with the others is grossly unfair.

1. 0

Lumping her with Hillary is not meant to be a negative. In fact it reinforces the fact even though she is friendly and outgoing some women do not warm up to her and I believe it is because she is educated and strong.

3. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

Both HC and MO have had the audacity to publicly question or criticize things conservative Americans hold dear.
    Hillary's comment about "I suppose I could have stayed at home and baked cookies" set a lot of people's hair on fire (probably not as many as would have been had she burned the cookies, right?).
    Many Americans want their wives/mothers to stay at home and raise the kids.

Michelle's comment about this being the first time in her adult life she was proud of America became another anti-Obama rallying cry. They HATE America. They want to DESTROY America. THey don't think America is EXCEPTIONAL. Blah, blah, blah.

Both first ladies have done extraordinary things through the office of FLOTUS. And HC, subsequently in the Senate and as SOS.
    Why spend time apologizing for being strong and well educated when you can use your talents and skills to improve the lives of others.
    Haters gonna hate them no matter what they do. I don't know that it's jealousy so much as mistrust and a little cultural xenophobia. "She's not like me." (Wheras Sarah Palin the hockey mom, is. roll)