jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (14 posts)

I just read that Mitt's tax returns were stolen!

1. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 4 years ago

Seriously. The perp is demanding $1 mil ransom. It's an AP report.

1. 0
      Sooner28posted 4 years ago in reply to this

The company is denying they have been stolen; however, corporation's PR statements don't always hold up to the facts.  I'm interested to see how this goes.

2. 0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 4 years ago in reply to this

""At this time there is no evidence that our systems have been compromised or that there was any unauthorized access to the data in question," PricewaterhouseCoopers spokesman Chris Atkins said."

That must mean absolutely that Mitt is off the hook!

Sigh of relief - or not. smile

2. Mighty Mom profile image92
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

Only one million?
    That's pocket change!

3. 0
    JaxsonRaineposted 4 years ago

I doubt it...

If they had the returns, I'm sure they would have sent a copy to the Romney campaign to prove it.

Probably either an attempt to inflate the value of bitcoins, or they are hoping that anti-Romneys will pay up. The thing about bitcoins, is if you pay someone, there really is no way to track it. So if they took $1 million and didn't provide the returns, they wouldn't face any consequences.

4. HowardBThiname profile image90
    HowardBThinameposted 4 years ago

There are copies, stolen or not. Most accounting firms today keep copies in the cloud and the IRS keeps digital copies.

Don't we all wish we could lose (or someone could steal) our income taxes?  wink

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I actually fantasize about losing my income tax returns. (or sums) lol

1. HowardBThiname profile image90
        HowardBThinameposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I hear ya. wink

5. quatrain profile image78
    quatrainposted 4 years ago

These guys are going to be caught. Can you imagine the stupidity of stealing a tax return of a Presidential candidate?

1. 0
      JaxsonRaineposted 4 years ago in reply to this

They are using the same methods that people use to leak information to Wikileaks. If you know what you are doing, there is practically no chance of getting caught... no trail at all to follow.

That's the really crazy part. If someone sends them money, there is absolutely no money trail.

Bitcoins are associated with(not limited to, but associate with) the digital black market, and it works frighteningly well.

EDIT: The transactions that happen in bitcoins are public, so it would be easy to verify that the transaction took place. The details about the sender and recipient though, not so much.

6. kerryg profile image87
    kerrygposted 4 years ago

Sounds like a hoax to me, but I guess we'll find out.

7. WillStarr profile image85
    WillStarrposted 4 years ago

As we have seen, here's nothing so easy to steal as a (secure) government record.

Soon, government will also have all your medical records too!

Feel better now?

8. American View profile image61
    American Viewposted 4 years ago

At least they didn't say the dog ate it

9. carol3san profile image60
    carol3sanposted 4 years ago

I'm with kerryg.  I bet it is a hoax.