jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)

I didn't understand the vocal vote at the DNC.

1. habee profile image88
    habeeposted 4 years ago

I know that the party was split over the removal of "God" and "Jerusalem as the capital of Israel" from the platform. With everyone shouting, how did the mayor decide that 2/3 voted yea - even after he listened three times? Doesn't seem very democratic to me.

1. Mighty Mom profile image88
      Mighty Momposted 4 years ago in reply to this

They first votedby a 2/3 majority to suspend the rules (?) then they voted on the motion.
      Some lady (Governor Strickland?) whispered in his year "You gotta let them do what they're gonna do."
      And I guess as chair he get to use his "opinion" to call the vote as 2/3 even though it sounded really like 1/2 for 1/2 (or more) against on the second vote.

It's interesting that in the Republican Party the platform went through as is -- without changes reflecting candidate Romney's presidential platform.
      In the Democratic Party the POTUS said "What the HELL did you do that for?" and the language got put back in.
      Maybe the difference is that Obama is sitting president vs. Romney the GOP nominee?

1. habee profile image88
        habeeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I dunno. I read that Obama didn't have a problem with the revised version, but if memory serves, the source was right wing. MSM reports that Obama demanded the Jerusalem part be put back in, but it didn't mention the "God" part. Romney has bucked parts of the GOP platform - especially the part about abortion.

I agree with you - it sounded about half and half to me, but I'm hard of hearing. lol

1. PrettyPanther profile image86
          PrettyPantherposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The Dems shouldn't have caved on this one, but they did.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image81
      Evan G Rogersposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Did you understand it when the RNC took a massive d**p all over the Ron Paul movement?

It's called "screwing over the populace to suit the big-wigs". What's not to understand?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKaXqoC4DjE

Both parties are doing it, and you're still going to vote for them.

Put up or shut up.

1. Repairguy47 profile image61
        Repairguy47posted 4 years ago in reply to this

After watching that vote its confirmed, Obama is toast!

1. habee profile image88

RG, I think that's wishful thinking on your part. Obama has a lead in most of the swing states, and he should get a convention bounce, to boot.

Which states that O won in 2008 do you think will flip this year? I think NC will.

2. HowardBThiname profile image89
    HowardBThinameposted 4 years ago

Lots of fundamentalist Christians in the Democratic Party.

Think about the church Obama was in for 20 years....wow.

Those folks are NOT going to let their doctrinal beliefs slip out of their political party.

It's entrenched in their being.

1. PrettyPanther profile image86
      PrettyPantherposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It's silly to think that whether or not the word "God" is in the platform will have any actual effect on how policies are implemented.

3. Repairguy47 profile image61
    Repairguy47posted 4 years ago

You should ask Debbie Wassermann Schultz, she'll give you an honest answer.

1. habee profile image88

Right. Anderson Cooper pointed that out:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/ … verse.html

working