jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

Congressman Claims student Loans Could Lead to Holocaust

1. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

Rep. Roscoe Bartlett (R-Maryland):
    “Not that it’s not a good idea to give students loans; it certainly is a good idea to give them loans,” Bartlett said. “But if you can ignore the Constitution to do something good today, tomorrow you will be ignoring the Constitution to do something bad. You could. There are more people in our, in America today of German ancestry than any other [inaudible]. The Holocaust that occurred in Germany — how in the heck could that happen? And when you start down the wrong road, it can be a very slippery slope.”

By this logic, what other historical non-US events might student loans lead to?
    I'll go first:
    Student loans are a slippery slope to Henry VIII beheading his wives.

1. habee profile image91
      habeeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

That's ridiculous, MM! Everyone knows that those student loans actually cause PIS - pirate impersonation syndrome. Once I began repaying mine, I had the overwhelming urge to dress up like a pirate and say things like "Aaarrrgh, matey" and "Walk the plank, ye scurvy dog."

Mighty Momposted 4 years ago in reply to this

And hang out with Johnny Depp?

1. habee profile image91
          habeeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I could do that!

2. Billy Hicks profile image89
        Billy Hicksposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I usually don't comment on things like this, but I feel this time I must.

Your comment was thoughtless, and insensitive; there are millions of Americans living, right now, with PIS (Pirate Impersonation Syndrome).

Actors like Johnny Depp, with his bigoted and stereotypical portrayal of these poor individuals, do nothing more than demean and belittle these Pirate Impersonation Syndrome Sufferers (or PISS'ers, to use the politically correct term).

Currently here in Florida, we have the largest annual gathering of PISS'ers every year. We welcome PISS'ers from all around the world, and invite them to come and share their stories of how PISS has affected their lives.

We're even trying to raise money to hire Jimmy Buffett to make one of those sad Sarah McLachlan-esque fundraising commercials.

Anyone wishing to help, please take a moment to call the Pirate Impersonation Syndrome Suffers Of Florida Foundation; our toll free number is 1-800-PISS-OFF (1-800-747-7633). Operators are standing by, please call now*.

*Don't actually call this number.

2. gmwilliams profile image87
      gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Mighty Mom,  there is some people quite adept at not understanding the concepts of critical thinking.   This man is completely askewed just like Mr. Akin.     Mankind can indeed devolve and regress to a more atavistic and primitive consciousness.    When I hear some people speak, I become more speechless each day albeit in a quite negative sense!

2. 0
    JaxsonRaineposted 4 years ago

Did you hear about the D delegate that said she would kill Romney if she saw him?

Sorry, just too much (R) appearing in here lately for stupid things people say big_smile

Mighty Momposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I dunno. I thought there were some pretty good ones in your "Get out of my country" thread. smile
      Kill Romney? That's not right.

Now if we changed it to student loans would lead to Romney being assassinated, it becomes ... stupid!

3. carol3san profile image60
    carol3sanposted 4 years ago

What a cry baby.  I bet he can't stand the fact that the Obama administration pushed the banks out of the student loan business. Come on...do American's really need  to pay a middle man for that?

4. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago

I hope people like this keep talking like this... let the general public see the type of men and women they are...

5. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

Holocaust seems to be a sub-theme of the far right.
    Joe the Plumber, also running for Republican office, has a video out where he says gun control caused the Holocaust.

6. 0
    LikaMarieposted 4 years ago

Okay, so if student loans lead to the Holocaust, then a college education that is fully paid for must lead to WWIII and the destruction of the planet.