jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Americas Apothy is Pathetic

1. rhamson profile image75
    rhamsonposted 4 years ago

With the two conventions in the last couple of weeks it is really surprising how the war is not of any concern to the electorate. The fight them over there rhetoric has finally taken hold and people just figure let the soldiers fight it and the hell with the rest.

This is a big embarrassment for this country and maybe a draft should be re-enacted so that it could have a little more weight when we decide to send these fine patriots overseas in a war no one cares about.

http://news.yahoo.com/war-weary-us-numb … 36334.html

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 4 years ago

Apathy. The American people are against the wars. Does it matter? Not one wit to the politicians. And then daily the people rah/rah the politicians who rue/rule the people. Maybe what we need is total apathy of the politicians.

3. PrettyPanther profile image85
    PrettyPantherposted 4 years ago

I was a child during the Vietnam War and I remember seeing the carnage of war shown up close on the nightly news, day in and day out.  We are not allowed to see that anymore.  This, in my opinion, is the single biggest reason Americans are so distanced from war.  That, combined with a draft that meant your friends and family were leaving to fight in battles you could see on the news, forced more people to face the reality of it.

I agree. It is an embarrassment.  So many citizens were gung-ho about the invasion of Iraq as long as it wasn't them or theirs who had to do the fighting.

1. rhamson profile image75
      rhamsonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I too grew up with the same war and almost got drafted into it before the draft was abolished. Had I been chosen I would have served but given the choice and especially the things that were being exposed about the CIA crap that was going on I chose not to fight that battle. I appreciate the brave souls that did fight it and find them to be true heroes and inspiration to us all.
      My fatehr fought in Korea and much the same sentiment followed that war. It was not even considered a war but a police action. The VFW would not admit my father when he returned because Truman called it a POlice Action and not a war.

I think the dead and wounded should be at the top of every headline and all the bodies returning to Dover should be on television everytime it happens until the apothy turns into concern. But the powers that be would never let it happen as it shows up as a shameful stain on their political and media carrers.