jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Should the media make murderers into celebrities?

1. GmaGoldie profile image87
    GmaGoldieposted 4 years ago

I feel strongly the media should render a nickname to a murderer. We protect the victims names and yet we "celebrate" and say the murderers names all too often in the media.

Lives that are lost should never be celebrated. Those who seek to gain fame by copying are helped by the media by both the media and us the citizens repeating those bandits names. Those bandits have robbed us of loved ones - why celebrate them and their treacherous deed?

What are your thoughts?

1. Ralph Deeds profile image68
      Ralph Deedsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

In my opinion, there are too many murder mystery shows on television, both fictional and based on actual cases. One of the worst is Nancy Grace who specializes in lurid kidnappings and murders of young girls.

2. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 4 years ago

I totally understand what you're saying. I think the problem is that many people are fascinated by the workings of the criminal mind, so the media is feeding that.

3. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

I have not noticed victim's names being withheld unless there was a court order.

A feel strongly that nicknames can be glorified as much as real names, and the media should not withhold things from me.

What is needed is a change in how things are covered, not just doing it with a nickname.

4. Teddletonmr profile image82
    Teddletonmrposted 4 years ago

It seems to me, “The Media” is nothing more than a commercial endeavor. They have absolutely no concern for what is or not the best interest of the nation or its people. The media only cares about ratings, people watching their advertisements and in too many cases vilifying everything the U.S stands for and champion those that mean the U.S.  harm, pain and suffering.