jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Did Bush's $152 billion in stimulus checks help the economy?

1. peeples profile image88
    peeplesposted 4 years ago

Did this method actually help any? If so why isn't it done more instead of handing money to companies?

1. Moderndayslave profile image61
      Moderndayslaveposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes, it put money into the people's hands who woull actually spend it. I think a lot of people put it towards debt reduction though. Corporations get more handouts because they put congress persons family members to work or the actual congress person get a high pay do nothing job like lobbying after they leave office. That public servant thing is long gone, the name of the game is self service.

1. peeples profile image88
        peeplesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Seems to me giving money to the public in some way would be more useful than continuing the path we are on.

2. Dale Hyde profile image86
        Dale Hydeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

They missed my hand(s).... but then again, I don't "owe" them a thing for missing me, including a vote, lol.

1. Petra Vlah profile image61
          Petra Vlahposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You did not miss much Dale... Bush gave us $600 (and encouraged us to "go spend it" while giving billions to the big guys. The drop in the bucket did not make much of a difference in people life

2. mio cid profile image64
    mio cidposted 4 years ago

it sure did help avoid falling into a depression along with all the measures taken by the obama administration.

1. Petra Vlah profile image61
      Petra Vlahposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Obama bailed out the ones who less deserved it since they have created the mess in the first place. Saving the ones (too big to fail) while sacrificing the ones too small to matter was NOT such a great idea

3. innersmiff profile image79
    innersmiffposted 4 years ago

It helped the economy in the same way giving heroin to an addict helps the addict. Well, we don't have any withdrawal symptoms. However, we're always going to need more, as evidenced by Bernanke's QE3: more fake money. At some point we're going to have an overdose.

working