jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Obama immediately appealed court decision on NDAA

1. NateB11 profile image93
    NateB11posted 4 years ago

Immediately after a court decision that ruled the indefinite detention provision of the NDAA unconstitutional, Obama (White House) appealed the decision. What do you think of that? There are a lot of problems in the country, should keeping the NDAA intact be such a priority for the White House? Why was Obama's action so quick, to appeal the court ruling? Why do they want the power to indefinitely detain people? Is it the wars we're engaged in, not wanting dissent for the wars? I'm sure there's more issues involved: What are they?

2. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 4 years ago

From what I've read about NDAA, I don't like it.

3. 0
    Sooner28posted 4 years ago

This is sad.  Republicans and Democrats are both war mongers in favor of unlimited state power.  Domestic policy is all that is really different, at least for now...

1. NateB11 profile image93
      NateB11posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes, I've thought that too: It seems foreign policy remains about the same no matter who's in office, but domestic policy, though not vast differences between the two parties, does differ somewhat. A lot of that has to do with influences, and by that I mean money. However, both parties follow the same agenda and status quo; neither is looking for any kind of fundamental or sweeping changes; band aids at best, and not very good band aids.

4. quatrain profile image77
    quatrainposted 4 years ago

Why else would the White House move repeatedly to enfore NDAA --indefinite detention? To detain people indefinitely. To enlarge its non-democratic powers. I've seen the same creeping erosion of democratic powers in Venezuela. Get used to it. It gets worse. 

The remarkable thing about Obama is not that he's convinced so many people that he's a moderate. The most remarkable thing is that he has completely distracted people from the fact that he is autocratic and  authoritarian.  You know the old saying, you can fool some of the people some of the time but you can't fool all of the people all of the time? Well, Obama turns that saying around a bit. He's proven that you can indeed fool a subset of the people -- the gullible, well-intentioned ones -- all of the time.

5. Reality Bytes profile image94
    Reality Bytesposted 4 years ago

The United States government is being transformed from a representative republic in to a corporate fascist form of governance.   Fascists like their systems of control!