jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Is The Tea Party the American Taliban?

1. Billy Hicks profile image89
    Billy Hicksposted 4 years ago

For fans of the HBO series "The Newsroom", you'll no doubt remember a recent episode ("The Greater Fool" S01/E10) where the argument is made that the TEA Party is nothing more than an American version of the Taliban. Among the arguments made in support of this theory are the following "TEA Party traits":

Ideological purity
    A fundamentalist belief in scriptural literalism
    Unmoved by facts
    Undeterred by new information
    A hostile fear of progress
    A demonization of education
    A need to control women's bodies
    Severe xenophobia
    Intolerance of dissent

So I put it to you my fellow Hubbers; do you agree or disagree with the statement:
    The Tea Party the American Taliban

1. HowardBThiname profile image91
      HowardBThinameposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Not even close.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image81
      Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

2. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

Sometimes I forget "The Newsroom" is a fictional show.
    Sometimes I find myself screaming at the TV, "Why wasn't this airing in 2010!??"
    And why did it have to end months before November?
    By June 2013 it may be too late!

Billy Hicksposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Aaron Sorkin is one of, if not the, greatest writers of our generation. The guy is a genius.

I have a "Bartlet 2012" bumper sticker on the wall in my office, my clients usually get a kick out of it.

3. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 4 years ago

I find I have felt much calmer and happier  since I stopped paying attention to Tea Party Love child.  What is hilarious is when hippie types join the Tea Party movement, but to each his own.

4. Don Simkovich profile image61
    Don Simkovichposted 4 years ago

You say the Tea Party is "unmoved by facts" and yet you offer nothing but an emotional statement. Quite simply, the Tea Party is concerned with too much federal spending and too many entitlements.
    As for "scriptural literalism", there may be many members of the Tea Party who are fiscally conservative but many be agnostic in theology and perhaps will even take a libertarian view to issues like gay marriage and abortion.

Billy Hicksposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It wasn't "my statement" (it came from a TV Show), but in the interests of furthering the discussion here's one to start with: in 2010 they claimed that the US Government was over 60% of GDP, it was 38% (CBO Jan 2011 Report).

As for "Scriptural Literalism", I'm not even going to touch that one; the thought of having a Religious discussion inside of a Political one is a good way to send this discussion down the tubes... rapidly.

I will say this on the subject: while it is undeniable that the Tea Party is a socially conservative movement, and that there is a strong Christian contingent within that movement, I don't agree that they are controlled by "Scriptural Literalism".