Is our media government-controlled?

1. quatrain profile image76
    quatrainposted 4 years ago

The other day I saw a CNN piece which decsribed the media in Syria as "government-controlled" and then went on to state that that's why nothing that ordinary Syrians hear or see on TV is believed in that country. Then it hit me. Are we in America any better off? Isn't our media also government-controlled these days?

1. rhamson profile image75
      rhamsonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

In some cases it may very well be true that the media is controlled by the government but I think there is a more sinister thing at play here. Everyone in news knows that information is the key to any success and that access to it is the difference between success and failure. Getting the story from the horses mouth whether it is factual or not is nonetheless important to sell. It either creates more controversy or quells the subject depending on the information being revealed. Why do you think network programing is cancelled when a breaking story is getting the ratings tehy thirst for. Did we really need to see OJ ride down the freeway while evading police? Did we need all the networks to cover it? No but those ever important commercial breaks sold more product than anyone can comprehend. And we tune in when the next big happening occurs.
      So news sold on a commercial basis and depending on inside information is something the government and politicians can sell us the lemmings without very much effort.

2. ITcoach profile image61
    ITcoachposted 4 years ago

quatrain and every one,

You pointed out an important point of this age. Media is the 4th pillar of the state.  I don't think so that our media is free. It is all controlled by the Govt. As if the martyred in Iraq and Afghanistan could not seen on our media. It just showed us one aspect not the two aspects of the technology. I hope you will understand. In the same way in these days there is too much fall in the economy then why our media not highlighting the factors that are causing?