jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

20 yrs average vs. 10 years actual tax returns?

1. Mighty Mom profile image92
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

Why is Mitt Romney releasing aggregated information on 20 years of tax returns?
    Did anyone ask for his "average" tax rate over 20 years?
    What new information is this information going to reveal (or obscure)?
    Didn't the public ask for 10 years of actual tax returns?

I don't know about you, but I'd be more than happy with two years only: Show us 2008 and 2009 complete returns.
    Just a hunch, but I would not be at all surprise to find two "ZERO TAX" years...

For those who may not have seen this exchange in the GOP primary debates:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/burns-hab … 11988.html

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Why wasn't this an issue in 2008? McCain released only 2 years, and Obama and the Dems didn't seem to have a cow about that.

1. HowardBThiname profile image90
        HowardBThinameposted 4 years ago in reply to this

They just now thought it up. smile

1. habee profile image92
          habeeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

2. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image60
      Jo_Goldsmith11posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Romney & Ryan are a bunch of Liars if I ever knew of the worst ones in all my life! He can stick his 47 % up his tax returns and shuffle! sad 
      The man has no character and no moral ineptitude! Ask me what I really think of him?

3. 0
      JaxsonRaineposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Doesnt sound like it...

"Over the entire 20-year period, the lowest annual effective federal personal tax rate was 13.66%."

2. Mighty Mom profile image92
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

When McCain ran for POTUS he did not run on a record of being CEO of Bain.
    Therefore, there wer no questions about when he actually left Bain vs. how long he kept getting money from Bain.
    He did not say on camera, "We have a blind trust. We don't even know how much money we have.
    There were not lingering questions about money that McCain hid in offshore banks.
    McCain did not run on a platform of tax "relief" for millionaires.
    More pertinent, still, McCain did not denigrate 47% of Americans for not paying income taxes.
    Could it be there were a couple of 0% years in there??

McCain did not make a months-long deal about not disclosing his taxes, then, in an abrupt turnaround, decide to throw people a "bone" at the conclusion of the most brutal week of his candidacy.

Now, offering that he paid an "average" rate of 14.1% over 20 years just looks more suspicious. Why is he including 20 years instead of just 10, which is what was asked for?
    a) Release the actual RETURNS and prove you have nothing to hide, or
    b) Stand your ground that you're not releasing any more. That issue had quieted down.

Why resurrect it?

3. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 4 years ago

He's release his *tax* return and his *summary* (without the real details) early, did he not promise them by October? Why would he release them early, and on a Friday?? Mitts strategists are talking out the trash. He *knows* they'll be a backlash and he *knows* he has things to hide, otherwise he'd just release what is being asked for. He, and his strategists, want to ride out the storm and draw a line beneath it, before the debates.