Do you pay your fair share of taxes?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (10 posts)
  1. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 11 years ago

How many years would it take you to pay as much into taxes as Mitt paid in 2011?

Mitt paid $1.9 million.

I would need over 350 years at my current rate. What about you?

2. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 11 years ago

Oh goody, the let's ask questions with answers that don't mean anything game! Here's mine:

How much longer would it take a sparrow to fly from Seattle to Tuscon compared to a F-22 Raptor?

1. profile image0
      JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Except for the fact that it does mean something.

Imagine a group of people decide to go to the movies. One person goes online and pays for all the tickets. What would a fair share be for everyone to pay him back? Fair would be if everyone paid the same.

Now, let's say that everyone in a club wants to go to the movie, 300 people. One guy buys the tickets, but everyone else says 'you can clearly afford to pay for all of us, so paying for all the tickets is your fair share'. Would you agree that is fair?

1. psycheskinner profile image85
        psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Paying for roads and hospitals for the entire country is not exactly the same as buying a ticket for a seat only I will use.  Unless you think people who don;t have 10,000 bucks up front should just be allowed to bleed to death.  And I should never pay a cent for a road because I don't drive.

1. profile image0
          JaxsonRaineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Right...

Everyone goes to the movie, and everyone enjoys it. In one situation, everybody pays. In another situation, one person pays for everybody.

Everyone uses roads, and the hospital, and other federal programs(the poor tend to use some more than the rich). In one situation, everybody pays. In another situation, one person pays for everybody.

See the similarity?

2. Reality Bytes profile image75
          Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is the reason I proposed that the infrastructure of our roads and bridges should be paid by those using the roads for commercial ventures.  Not driving, but using products that were transported on those roads.  Having business' pay for the roads means the costs will be distributed throughout the costs of the products, so everyone that takes advantage of goods transported on the highway systems will pay as much as those that drive on the roads for pleasure.

2. Shadesbreath profile image78
        Shadesbreathposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would say that is called a red herring in addition to being a completely horrific analogy.

Taxation is about paying the government a cut of your earnings based on some formula decided upon (in theory) by the representative government. How much someone pays in actual volume SHOULD be meaningless. Those who work harder or smarter and earn more, will obviously pay higher dollar amounts than those who don't work hard or who don't work smart.

I think the problem you are trying to get at with the misleading or perhaps just misconceived analogies is apparent in your use of the word "fair." So, rather than run us all off into the weeds with movie comparisons that don't line up in any way at all, why not have a conversation about flat tax vs. sliding scale, and perhaps figure out ways that we might simplify the tax code so that it isn't so easily manipulated by the rich and avoided by the poor. We could talk about abolishing income tax and having only sales tax for example, a different take on flat taxation perhaps? We could talk about inheritance and whether it is fair for someone who does work harder or smarter to leave money to children.  Etc.

1. Reality Bytes profile image75
          Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Income tax should be abolished, it is unfair and immoral.  Using a federal sales tax would assure that everyone engaging in commercial activity would pay, even those that work "under the table" would be liable for a tax burden.  Taxes would be voluntary in this system, currently we have a state sanctioned extortion service.  Confiscating wealth earned through labor, time, and energy should have never been allowed in the first place.  Taxing income earned through investments without the need for the individual to engage in actual labor should be treated differently!

should belong to the individual that worked for it.

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
            Shadesbreathposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A sales tax would hit the investment earners too if they ever tried to spend the money. I actually think that might be a reasonable approach to fair taxation. The only way to avoid it would be barter, and, I'm not sure that would be such a bad thing. Maybe it would, but I can't imagine how as I sit here just now. I mean, say you have a restaurant, and I want to eat there. You have a kid who likes sci-fi and wants to read my book. So I trade you a copy for a meal. How is that ever bad for anyone?

There is still the argument some make that poor people would pay disproportionate amounts, but I guess we could have an income based "tax exempt" card for items like food and stuff for the poor to get around that.

1. PhoenixV profile image63
              PhoenixVposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They will never have a common sense sales tax because it would defeat their purpose of sustaining a global monetary ponzi scheme. If only it was about income tax-  then a sales tax would suffice, but it would never cover the cost of the pyramid. So they need  taxes and high interest on the Fiat money they print.

Accounts Receivable Tax
              Building Permit Tax
              Capital Gains Tax
              CDL license Tax
              Cigarette Tax
              Corporate Income Tax
              Court Fines (indirect taxes)
              Dog License Tax
              Federal Income Tax
              Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
              Fishing License Tax
              Food License Tax
              Fuel permit tax
              Gasoline Tax (42 cents per gallon)
              Hunting License Tax
              Inheritance Tax Interest expense (tax on the money)
              Inventory tax IRS Interest Charges (tax on top of tax)
              IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
              Liquor Tax
              Local Income Tax
              Luxury Taxes
              Marriage License Tax
              Medicare Tax
              Property Tax
              Real Estate Tax
              Septic Permit Tax
              Service Charge Taxes
              Social Security Tax
              Road Usage Taxes (Truckers)
              Sales Taxes
              Recreational Vehicle Tax
              Road Toll Booth Taxes
              School Tax
              State Income Tax
              State Unemployment Tax
              Telephone federal excise tax
              Telephone federal universal service fee tax
              Telephone federal, state and
              local surcharge taxes
              Telephone minimum usage surcharge tax
              Telephone recurring and non-recurring charges tax
              Telephone state and local tax
              Telephone usage charge tax
              Toll Bridge Taxes
              Toll Tunnel Taxes
              Trailer Registration Tax
              Utility Taxes
              Vehicle License Registration Tax
              Vehicle Sales Tax
              Watercraft Registration Tax
              Well Permit Tax
              Workers Compensation Tax

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)