jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

The Richest Nation in the World?

1. 0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 4 years ago

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/2 … 15608.html

QUOTE:  Stanton says he was barely able to meet nutritional needs and lost four pounds, according to Fox 10 News Phoenix. He skipped meals and relied on ramen noodles, pasta and coffee, according to KTAR.

QUOTE:  Stanton concluded on Facebook at the end of the challenge: "The best 'program' for any struggling family is a job that pays a living wage.

QUOTE: ...hunger still is widespread. Nearly one in five Americans did not have enough money to pay for food at times last year, according to Gallup.

No. America is not the richest nation in the world. It is fast numbering one of the poorest nations in the world. That does not mean it doesn't have some of the richest people in the world living in it - just like any other banana republic.

Go for it, everybody.  Shoot the messenger, not the message.

1. Josak profile image60
      Josakposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Unfortunately you are correct by no measure are we the richest country in the world and when income distribution (the wealth gap) is taken into account the average American is nowhere near as well off as the average citizen of many countries.

2. 0
      RobSchneiderposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Same goes for healthcare and education. America's been slipping down the charts for decades. All they really have to brag about now is having the world's biggest military.

2. Greek One profile image81
    Greek Oneposted 4 years ago

The Vatican

3. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

The USA has a few of the richest people in the world, but it is far from being the richest nation..sadly

4. chefsref profile image89
    chefsrefposted 4 years ago

The Republican establishment already has a solution to Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton's problem.
    John Boehner said the poor should eat "rice and beans"
    Republicans actually mirror the callousness attributed to Marie Antoinette
    "Let them eat cake"

Anyways, in total amounts of wealth, America is by far the richest nation but on a per-capita basis we are approaching Third World status

1. 0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Totally right, chefrefs. I wrote a blog on American and the Third World (Capitalism and You) and showed the comparison. It's very real. Also, having lived in the Third World for most of my life, I don't see any difference. I did see a difference when I lived in Europe, but not here.

1. Dr Billy Kidd profile image90
        Dr Billy Kiddposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Sophia, Europeans respected their peope more that Americans, right?