jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Wiretapping triples under Obama

1. JSChams profile image59
    JSChamsposted 4 years ago

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government … s-Wiretaps

How positively George Bush-like of him! I wonder if this is how he compiled his Nixon-like enemies list?

1. 0
      Sooner28posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Your source is suspect, but he has expanded federal power when it comes to activities like this, so I am going to take this as true.

This is why I want a real liberal.  Obama isn't a liberal.  Any true liberal will tell you that.  The election is just limited by who our corporate masters decided to give us as options.

2. JSChams profile image59
    JSChamsposted 4 years ago

So let's see.....bad for Bush but we won't even talk about it if it is Obama?

1. Quilligrapher profile image88
      Quilligrapherposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Howdy JSChams.  Neat article. Thanks.

When I burrow down into the actual ACLU report, I learned that this activity is both warantless and legal. Therefore, the legislative and not the executive branch much take action to change the law. 

“Because these surveillance powers are not used to capture telephone conversations or the bodies of emails, they are classified as “non-content” surveillance tools, as opposed to tools that collect “content,” like wiretaps. This means that the legal standard that law enforcement agencies must meet before using pen registers is lower than it is for wiretaps and other content-collecting technology. Specifically, in order to wiretap an American’s phone, the government must convince a judge that it has sufficient probable cause and that the wiretap is essential to an investigation. But for a pen register, the government need only submit certification to a court stating that it seeks information relevant to an ongoing criminal investigation.” {1}

However, the ACLU document goes on to place the blame for the lack of transparency squarely on Congress and not the President.

“Both the 2010 and 2011 reports were submitted to Congress [by the DOJ] in compliance with the reporting requirement. Unfortunately, Congress has done nothing at all to inform the public about the federal government's use of these invasive surveillance powers. Rather than publishing the reports online, they appear to have filed them away in an office somewhere on Capitol Hill.” {1}

I suggest we write our respective congresspersons. big_smile
      {1} http://www.aclu.org/blog/national-secur … e-increase

JSChamsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You are right Quill.
        The Congress is to blame for lack of transparency.
        The Administration is still committing the act, Congress won't say anything about it so freedom is really being trampled on here isn't it?

3. 61
    Richard Imhoageneposted 4 years ago

Obama is still the candidate to beat.

JSChamsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

What does that have to do with it?
      It does not really matter, as this has been occurring all along during this administration. What during the Bush years was this incredibly frightening thing is now just no big deal because this is the anointed one of the left.