Another death-row inmate spared:

1. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 4 years ago … _headlines

WHY do we still have the death penalty??

1. Josak profile image60
      Josakposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It appeals to the conservative tough on crime stance which is apparently OK with having innocent people be executed that would otherwise be released, not a position I agree with, the whole corrections system in this country is a disaster due to that same tough on crime attitude, it's why we have one of the highest rate of released felons returning to jail in the world, our system focuses on punishment not rehabilitation as it should and we all pay the cost.

It's past time we start looking abroad at models that have actually worked.

1. habee profile image90
        habeeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I don't have a problem being "tough on crime," but I abhor the death penalty. Our legal system is often corrupted by monied individuals. He who can afford a good lawyer or has enough wealth/power in a community stands a much better chance of walking or getting a lighter sentence. I have no problem with a convicted murderer getting life in prison. And yes, I agree that we need to do more rehabilitiation when there's a chance that the perp can be rehabilitated. Not all can, and some have admitted as much.