jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (13 posts)

US Afghanistan policy -- should we stay or should we go now?

1. Mighty Mom profile image92
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

If we stay it will be trouble, if we go it will be double.
    Or vice versa.

Article below:
    Military deaths hit 2,000.
    Disturbing trend:
    The Afghanis we're trying to train are turning fire on our soldiers.
    Has anyone watched tonight's 60 Minutes segment on this?

Thread question:  What do you feel the US should do about Afghanistan war?
    Should we:
    a) Keep with plan of withdrawal by end of 2014
    b) Send in more troops and stay there as long as it takes-- beyond 2014
    c) Cut our losses and get the hell out ASAP
    d) Other (please describe)_________________________________________

http://news.yahoo.com/us-military-death … 34010.html

2. GA Anderson profile image88
    GA Andersonposted 4 years ago

C. and notice it's a capital C

Looking at the bright side, it would give us and the Sovie... oops Russia, something in common.

Mighty Momposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Roger that!
      Totally with you, with a capital C as well.
      Saw a segment on Rachel Maddow the other night about how the surge has actually increased (by a large margin) the violence in Afghanistan.
      Why are we there again for 11 years?

1. GA Anderson profile image88
        GA Andersonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

No, wait... If you pick C too - can I change my answer?

We can't have folks seeing us agree on anything. I have a reputation to live down to.

2. Josak profile image60
        Josakposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yeah I am with C too, it's time for the Afghan people to decide their own future free from international constraint and violence.

3. livewithrichard profile image85
    livewithrichardposted 4 years ago

c)  Even though there is no logistics in place right now to handle the return of all our troops I would much rather them be home then to lose one more American Hero to a senseless death.

4. innersmiff profile image87
    innersmiffposted 4 years ago

C). Never should have gone in in the first place.

5. Mighty Mom profile image92
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

So far I'm loving the responses here from hubbers who often do not see eye-to-eye.
    Right on!

6. Shil1978 profile image88
    Shil1978posted 4 years ago

Leave - as long as the lessons have been learnt from the last time we were in Afghanistan. Previously, in 1989, the approach was to just leave and let the Afghans sort themselves out - pretty much the same approach some are advocating now.

Obviously, you can't do the Afghans' job for them forever, but the minimal goal should be to train a sizable number of Afghans to take care of their own country and to enable a strong Afghan central Govt. to take deep roots - something that would take the 11 or so years it has, maybe another few. I think that would ensure there is no mess left behind like it was in 1989 with anarchy resulting - that enabled the Taliban and Al-Qaeda to prosper and have a safe haven.

If the goal was to ensure that that situation doesn't recur with the Taliban coming back or Al-Qaeda finding a safe haven, then one might as well do the best job possible before leaving!

7. maxoxam41 profile image79
    maxoxam41posted 4 years ago

If we stay, we keep an eye on the oil fields, if we go they will decide on their own policies.

8. ITcoach profile image61
    ITcoachposted 4 years ago

Hi Every one,

I think it's a top notch point of current affairs that you discussed. The Afghani Muslims are such creature that they will explode more day by day and the losses will be even more doubled or tripled in the up coming  days. The Al Qaida and Afghanis both are dominating in the Afghanistan and Pakistan is penetrating more in Afghanistan due its last 10 years loss. If the proper loss could not covered of Pak then it will be too dangerous to stay in Afghanistan. The Allied forces will be under attach from both sides ie from the Pak side and in the Afghanistan too. As the people of Pakistan hate the American's to be stay there in Afghanistan. More terrorists will be produced and attack on the Americans. America should change the policy and should leave as soon as possible handling all the matters to Pak with UN finances.

9. 50 Caliber profile image61
    50 Caliberposted 4 years ago

I have to say pull a new NAM and withdraw ASAP.
    I hate to say that because of the loser syndrome I felt when we were ordered to stand down in Vietnam and fight only after begging on the radio to launch rockets to give the ground troops safe passage to the sea line to be lifted to the airforce bases and flown out. I'm sure anyone 10 to 15 years old got to see the helicopters landing on the roof of he US embassy in the final hours of the surrender.
    Hopefully they won't have to fight their way to an extraction point.

Mighty Momposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I was thinking of the Nam comparison but you've brought the detail.
      Thanks for  sharing your wise perspective, Dusty pal!